Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 49 to 50 of 50

Thread: UK's online porn viewer age verification checks delayed

  1. #49
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,471
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    257 times in 185 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: UK's online porn viewer age verification checks delayed

    Quote Originally Posted by ttaskmaster
    Lots of many things


    To me, the lack of access to online scanners is a clue, part of the problem solving and on other people's machines I always install virus scanners and firewalls. It's only on my own machines where I'm happy to take the risk for the benefits. I coded basic viruses as a malicious kid. I like to think I can deal with them.

    Bikes being lazy? You've obviously never seen me get ready to go anywhere.... to put on all the armour and gear it takes bloody ages, is a pain to walk in and ohhh man do you sweat. I rode to work today on the motorway at normal motorway speeds in around 7 degrees C without any thermal gear for about 45 minutes and boy did I sweat. I'm on relatively high doses of steroids so that does play into it but as for looking cool? Nah, I just look like I'm best avoided as the stench is probably gonna be horrific. It's a fantastic way of ensuring those survey people don't come near you. You can dip your head in a bucket for the same effect. I'm a considerate parker and I've only ever had one ticket which is from when my local council decided to change a place from an authorised bike park to not without any notice or warning. One day it was fine (I'd been parking there several days a week for years) and the next day it was a ticket. Never mind, the guy who gave me the ticket was into bikes and we had a nice chat about them (obviously I didn't bother arguing with him, when he pointed it out I was clearly in the wrong so why make both of our days worse over something that ain't gonna change? If they change the speed limit on a road you're expected to notice. And he did tell me how to appeal it.)

    I used porn as an education when I was younger. Put this bit here. Wiggle it around a bit. I never got to the end of the video so I never saw how the actors handled the disappointment part at the end of a good shag but hey. I think addressing the lack of reality in porn is something that schools should be doing in sex education. I think I was lucky in that I found the unrealistic falseness of it (and that it was obviously unachievable) a turn off rather than...er.... useful.

    The banning of non violent political material just lends it credibility. People think "oh so the government I don't particularly like wants to supress this, there must be something to it, it scares them". Expose it and trust people and you may find people surprise you like with the BNP. I think censorship is just plain bad and all those who advocate it are dangerous and should be silenced.

    It's almost always interesting to have a discussion about guns, the offensive weapons and so on. I agree with you in that (whilst I love target shooting) guns being accessible to the general population tends to lead to problems but there are so many good counter arguments each way. I think America is the best example of an argument against guns. Just say "America" and you've won most of the time. The really interesting thing is that in Canada where they allow firearms pretty liberally there's a city opposite Detroit and they'd had about 1 gun murder in 3 years and that was a guy from Detroit who crossed the border with an illegal gun. As for offensive weapons... I'm going to be travelling Friday with an axe in my car as we're going somewhere rural and wood will get chopped. Badly. But equally I have (now) two Leatherman multitools. One is a Wave and one is a Juice. I had to get the Juice because it doesn't have locking tools and I pretty much need a multitool day to day and it's emergency equipment for my bike and first aid kit. But due to the ruling of one judge (this wasn't in the original leglislation from Parliament) a locking blade makes it an offensive weapon and I can't therefore carry the Wave with me day to day. This also makes it far less safe to use but I apparently can't be trusted. If you're interested in the gun argument, I found Peter Hitchens' argument quite interesting and made me think (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rj3DBt-Rqo). Despite his excellent points, I don't think I'd want guns to be more legal over here - as you say, people just can't be trusted. Whilst there are examples of places where people have easy access to firearms and don't go around killing people, I think our culture is too close to the US and it's not like cars where there's a real benefit to society and a real use for them and where the benefit clearly offsets the loss of life as a result. There are few domestic uses for a firearm. I have explored them all.

    Drugs - have you looked at Portugal's experiment? They didn't legalise but they decriminalised drugs and the results are spectacular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ7n-JpcCk

  2. #50
    RGB Champion Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,357
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked
    573 times in 480 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: UK's online porn viewer age verification checks delayed

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Bikes being lazy? You've obviously never seen me get ready to go anywhere.... to put on all the armour and gear it takes bloody ages, is a pain to walk in and ohhh man do you sweat.
    You need to re-examine the kit you wear, then. I'm comfortable riding, shopping, working in the office, doing mechanical work and all sorts of stuff in my bike it.
    It's not the best for hiking 20 miles in the Lake District, or installing CCTV systems in restaurants, but my primary requirement is that my kit is wearable on and off the bike... mainly for these exact reasons. It's a way of life for a reason!

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    The banning of non violent political material just lends it credibility.
    What, like all the exposé books?
    "The book they tried to BAN", and all that?
    Sounds more like a clickbait sales tactic than anything else and I'd not trust anyone who thought banning makes something credible.

    But again, it's not what it is, but what people misuse it for.

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Expose it and trust people and you may find people surprise you like with the BNP.
    I generally find people are unsurprisingly predictable and idiotic, actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I think censorship is just plain bad and all those who advocate it are dangerous and should be silenced.
    You wish to censor the censors, because censoring is bad...?
    Ja, ok.......

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I agree with you in that (whilst I love target shooting) guns being accessible to the general population tends to lead to problems but there are so many good counter arguments each way.
    I've yet to hear a good reason why the general public needs access to guns...

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Drugs - have you looked at Portugal's experiment? They didn't legalise but they decriminalised drugs and the results are spectacular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ7n-JpcCk
    I don't have time (or sound) to watch loads of YouTubes, but I don't think it matters any.
    Again, it's not what the things are, it's what people do with them.
    In the case of drugs, I've personally known FAR too many lives destroyed through drug use to trust people with them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •