Thread: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 benchmarks surface

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 benchmarks surface

Qualcomm touted a 30 per cent perf boost compared to the SD835 but it isn't quite there, yet.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 benchmarks surface

Why they even try? These CPUs are worse than the worst Intel CPUs like Celerons.
    I guess some folks will buy it just for curiosity, but other than that there is nothing in this, not even the battery which is marginally better compared to a Core M3.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 benchmarks surface

Quote Originally Posted by yeeeeman View Post
    Why they even try? These CPUs are worse than the worst Intel CPUs like Celerons.
    I guess some folks will buy it just for curiosity, but other than that there is nothing in this, not even the battery which is marginally better compared to a Core M3.
    I think it'll be a passing fad. I'm sure Windows is so big and cumbersome that trying to optimise it to run smoothly on these kinds of processors just is a task too far. The end result may be that you can get the basics like browsing and word processing to work well but you can use a tablet or chromebook for that if you want long battery life, always on, etc. I'm pretty sure that anything that has to go through this emulator they went on about will work just about as well as anything else that runs on an emulator on a low powered machine - badly. And the point of having Windows is the variety of software you can run on it. If you can't do that properly there is no point.

I think the minuscule advantages are going to be severely outweighed by the disadvantages and the end result will be a product that crashes. My other concern is that, if they're optimising their SoCs to run in bigger units and produce more heat, are we going to see a compromise in terms of phone / tablet performance if the same SoCs are shared between platforms?

Thread Information