Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: QOTW: Has AMD done enough with Radeon VII?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: Has AMD done enough with Radeon VII?

Not for Windows gaming. It might appeal to some open source purists using Linux; they prefer AMD because NVidia is so uncooperative with the open source community, and as a result the open AMD graphics drivers are generally much better.

It may appeal to users who want it as a computing engine, or who are doing high end 3D graphics where the 16 GB of memory will help.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Dulcey View Post
    Not for Windows gaming. It might appeal to some open source purists using Linux; they prefer AMD because NVidia is so uncooperative with the open source community, and as a result the open AMD graphics drivers are generally much better.

It may appeal to users who want it as a computing engine, or who are doing high end 3D graphics where the 16 GB of memory will help.
    I'm far from a purist, but as someone who spends most of their time in Linux it does worry me that I could buy an Nvidia card and find in a few years it is next to useless because Nvidia don't support it any more, when an AMD card would still work as it doesn't require help from AMD. It isn't a big worry, I add about £50 to the price of any Nvidia card as a sort of handicap for them not being a nice company and then compare products.

Thanks

Just to put a different spin on it: AMD have released a card that matches Nvidia on performance and price and all Nvidia have over it is a couple of features that are only available in one or two games where as AMD provide so much memory capacity and speed that it will probably still be be usable for many years to come. Sure the AMD card runs hotter and uses more power but it has more, faster memory, who thought that would come for free? Like I said just wanted to spin it another way, it all depends on whether RT becomes the norm or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information