Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Google revokes Huawei's Android software license

Thanks

Re: Google revokes Huawei's Android software license

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post
    I simply did not make that argument.
    I never said you did, but it's an obvious observation. The argument part is to claim that they somehow managed to steal something before it existed.

And yes it did exist..
    What is 'it' exactly? 5G isn't just one magic black box, it's a culmination of a host of technologies and advancements over LTE.

In 2008 companies were investing in R&D on 5G, where was Huawei with 5G at the time?
    Investing huge amounts of money and manpower into R&D I expect?

seems like an argument now.
    Only insofar as I'm contesting points which aren't completely logical.

You're both painting some warped picture that Huawei revealed to the world 5G.
    I never said that at all, 5G is a collection of technologies that has been worked on by a large number of companies, Huawei being one example of a company progressing well with things like RAN/infrastructure, two other major players being Nokia and Ericsson.

Intel is actually a great example with their 7nm chips, or are you going to tell me that they had no idea about 7nm was the next step? Intel rather than advancing to 7nm decided it's in their interests more to just keep selling and making minor improvements rather than transitioning to the next node. I bet they regret this choice and their change in business models is being evaluated.
    7nm is just a number, and as far as Moore's law is concerned, it was a logical assumption that something i.e. a smaller node would follow on from 10nm. But again, what actually is '7nm' - like 5G being the 'obvious next step' you're implying, that's a huge over-simplification. They don't just change the zoom lens for manufacturing and reap the rewards - as DanceswithUnix says, there are some tough engineering challenges to overcome before you can just make that step. Hence why Intel have stalled for so long with 10nm. If you think it's just a case of not bothering because of market conditions, it perhaps demonstrates a bit naivety over how semiconductor manufacturing works.

2G, 3G, 4G, now 5G.. Do you see a pattern in generations
    Do you? Besides the number preceding the letter 'G' I mean?

and how development started on 5G long before Huawei came into the picture. After all 5G was not some kind of unknown, some years ago it was mostly about developing working concepts of next generation advancements, also now days the technological world kind of shows to developers what's next. Even Huawei rep said it in one interview and it makes perfect sense. You've leveled the playing field, and lets be frank, skipped decades in effort to catching up, or building something unique of your own. The profits and resources were put in to actually sniffing around on research and development in 5G and then carrying it on yourself to come at where they are now.
    You mean like Intel had nothing to do with cellular until they bought out some other companies to force their way into the market? Worked out well for them with 4G/5G didn't it? Given how simple it all apparently is I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    I think that Huawei will still have access to stock Android programs via Google's generic Android OS offerings. They will need time to standardise to them (and then may loose some staff perhaps).
    AOSP is open source and Huawei should continue to have access to that, the more damaging part is lack of access to things like Play Services, Play Store, etc. Also damaging is lack of access to future ARM IP.

Thanks

Well, isn't this a surprise?

https://arstechnica.com/information-...rths-dominance

I doubt it's really in China's interest to follow through on this* as opposed to using it as a bargaining tool, but it demonstrates how naive it is for the US to believe** they can selectively kill off competitive threats and not suffer any consequences themselves. The two countries rely on each other a great deal more than I imagine either side would like to admit, and a trade deal targeted at being fair to all involved parties would be an amicable goal.

*Much like it's doubtful that it's in US's best interests to start banning foreign competitors - either way, both countries demonstrate that they're perhaps not reliable long-term and companies worldwide should start considering multi-sourcing their supply chains (as I think I've said before, that could be a useful wake-up call regardless). Once companies start getting nervous, both countries may realise they're not quite as irreplaceable in some supply chains as they'd like to believe (e.g. China moves more chip manufacturing in-house, USA starts mining some of their own rare-Earth materials). As I've also said before though, that's not a card you can keep playing - once you've proved your markets are politically unstable, the damage has been done, and similar sabre-rattling in future may have a more subdued effect.

**If they did truly assume that. You'd like to think the US's political system would know better, e.g. using the whole thing as a bargaining tool themselves. Debatable politics if so, but it's more logical than just assuming they would get away with it unscathed?

Registered+
    Thanks

I bought a Huawei Mate 20 Pro a few months ago and I am sweating right now. Hopefully this all gets sorted out and doesn't actually go through after this 3 months of delay.

There are however rumours about huawei trying to push Android Q development to maximum speed so it can provide it to its users before the end of these 3 months but I guess we shall see if it happens or not.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information