• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I believe that the Tesla has a function where you put your destination into the Sat Nav, and it plans your route and stop-offs in order to keep enough charge in the car for the journey. Someone I work with recently too his Model X to Scotland from Hertfordshire, and stopped twice, so probably about the same as you would if you were doing the journey in a combustion car, although you wouldn't necessarily refuel at every stop.
    "A Better Route Planner" also does this, and takes hills & wind into account also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    No EV will be able to recharge in 5 minutes for the foreseeable future, even though there are now over 800 more places to recharge than there are petrol stations.
    Many chargers are in Motorway services, supermarket, restaurant or pub carparks. Places where you intend to stop for half an hour or more.

I suggest you look at VW's electric Golf-class car which they start taking open orders next month for delivery in Summer 2020. The largest battery variant has a (official) range of 340-ish miles.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but when companies say "under €x", it often means about 1p /1c under x. When x = €30,000 for a base model .... well, let's just say I'll be staying with ICE.

Also, as I said, range is one of several criteria, another being that 5 minute refuel. And as you say, no sign of that any time soon.

Which is why I said I'd be much more impressed with a practical, "everyman" e-car rather than some 550bhp e-rocket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    No EV will be able to recharge in 5 minutes for the foreseeable future, even though there are now over 800 more places to recharge than there are petrol stations.
    Many chargers are in Motorway services, supermarket, restaurant or pub carparks. Places where you intend to stop for half an hour or more.

It's more complex than "how many". It's also about where, and about how many cars a given 'refueling' point can service, per hour. For instance, if a petrol pump takes 5 mintes and a charging point 25 mins, you need 5x as many chargers, just to break even.

Then there's where.

I rarely (as in maybe once in 20 years) fill up at motorway service stations. On the runs I do, I can make it the 350-400 miles I do on a tankful, and refuel at a competitive (which means not motorway) local station. I'm also not in the habit of stopping at a supermarket and doing the shopping half-way through a 400-mile journey.

So far, I see little sign 8f there being anything remotely close to enough charging points where I need thrm, en-route, meaning I expect to be at least as capable of doing my A to B journey on a single charge as I can on a single tank. And I can always take a jerry-can fir emergencies.

No doubt EVs will get there .... eventually. But personally, I'm simply not going to pay a premium for an EV only to get significantly less convenience.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    No doubt EVs will get there .... eventually. But personally, I'm simply not going to pay a premium for an EV only to get significantly less convenience.
    Charging rates should improve, but bigger capacity means more weight and up front cost which I expect will keep a lid on maximum range.

Question for EV owners, do you get scalped for electricity price at motorway services in the same way us fossil burners do for fuel cost?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Charging rates should improve, but bigger capacity means more weight and up front cost which I expect will keep a lid on maximum range.

Question for EV owners, do you get scalped for electricity price at motorway services in the same way us fossil burners do for fuel cost?
    Depends matey....
    Tesla owners don't as you don't pay to recharge on many of their plans. However as there are different charging standards many just get the slowest system which takes hours to recharge.

As said many sat navs/navigation systems take into account the charging needs. But again... we did 380 miles yesterday with a stop for 8 hours and the nearest charger was another 25 miles away and nowhere near where we needed to be for 8 hours...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information