Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21

Thread: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,686
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,859 times in 635 posts

    Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Sales of the 88 limited edition vehicles have begun in China.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    243 times in 172 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    I would expect that lighting would be illegal in the UK. There are very specific rules for lighting on a vehicle and green is reserved for doctors responding to emergencies (although it doesn't confer any special rights on the road - those appropriately trained in advanced and response driving use blues and can use the exemptions for emergency vehicles). Even reflectors can be described as lights under the law and so people who put blue reflective stripes on cars or bikes can be in trouble.

  3. Received thanks from:

    mtyson (05-08-2019)

  4. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    It costs almost as much as Razer's gaming mice... but is far less aerodynamic than any of them. Stick big enough electric motors on a brick sh*thouse and it too will break the 5 second 0-60mph threshold ;-)

  5. #4
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    243 times in 172 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    It costs almost as much as Razer's gaming mice... but is far less aerodynamic than any of them. Stick big enough electric motors on a brick sh*thouse and it too will break the 5 second 0-60mph threshold ;-)
    Or just pay a grand for a motorbike like mine and get <3 seconds to 60.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    822
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    172 times in 130 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    I'm sure it's all very impressive, and stuff, for an eSports vehicle, but I'd be much, much, MUCH more impressed by any company that comes up with viable, half-decent everyday e-car that has a decent mileage between charges at an ordinary-user price. THAT would potentially be a game-changer, and is required if government are to coax everybody out of combustion-engined cars.

    As for £55k, there's a substantial list of cars above that, for that money, on my list. But then .... each to his/her own.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I'm sure it's all very impressive, and stuff, for an eSports vehicle, but I'd be much, much, MUCH more impressed by any company that comes up with viable, half-decent everyday e-car that has a decent mileage between charges at an ordinary-user price. THAT would potentially be a game-changer, and is required if government are to coax everybody out of combustion-engined cars.

    As for £55k, there's a substantial list of cars above that, for that money, on my list. But then .... each to his/her own.
    renault zoe ? the new mg zs ev ?

  8. #7
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    243 times in 172 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I'm sure it's all very impressive, and stuff, for an eSports vehicle, but I'd be much, much, MUCH more impressed by any company that comes up with viable, half-decent everyday e-car that has a decent mileage between charges at an ordinary-user price. THAT would potentially be a game-changer, and is required if government are to coax everybody out of combustion-engined cars.

    As for £55k, there's a substantial list of cars above that, for that money, on my list. But then .... each to his/her own.
    I want motorways to have a giant dodgem style grid above and all cars should have poles to power them. This would solve all our problems and on top of that, large swarms of migratory birds or bugs would create an amazing light show and, if the roads are properly swept afterwards, could supply animal feed.

    Combine this with solar roadways (because driving on solar panels is a great idea) and you have an amazing, value for money proposition which will absolutely not result in the widespread electrocution of birds....

    ... just like wind farms next to RSPB reserves don't shred protected birds on an industrial scale. No......

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    822
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    172 times in 130 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by hellig View Post
    renault zoe ? the new mg zs ev ?
    For me, no. It will vary person to person, but by my definition, and needs, "decent mileage between charges" doesn't mean 180-ish on the Renault, and certainly not 160-ish on the MG. Double that, and add a bit, a we're in the right area.

  10. #9
    Cinnamon Roll Ozaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    30 times in 29 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170 SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHz CL14
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    For me, no. It will vary person to person, but by my definition, and needs, "decent mileage between charges" doesn't mean 180-ish on the Renault, and certainly not 160-ish on the MG. Double that, and add a bit, a we're in the right area.
    Surely the range on this isn't too far from what you're asking then, at 510KM? Not that I know the slightest thing about NEDC. Imagine if it hadn't been a big, hefty, heavy luxury SUV blob.
    I don't understand what Razer contributed here besides their logo, some colours and a likely price premium.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    309
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    34 times in 29 posts
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hellig View Post
    renault zoe ? the new mg zs ev ?
    For me, no. It will vary person to person, but by my definition, and needs, "decent mileage between charges" doesn't mean 180-ish on the Renault, and certainly not 160-ish on the MG. Double that, and add a bit, a we're in the right area.
    Renault have announced a refreshed, 52kWh Zoe, capable of 240-ish miles for later this year.

    240 miles is (legally) around 3.5 hours on even an empty motorway, probably nearer 4-5 with roadworks and traffic.

    Also, here's a review of the non-Razer version of the car

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,648
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    101 times in 84 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hellig View Post
    renault zoe ? the new mg zs ev ?
    For me, no. It will vary person to person, but by my definition, and needs, "decent mileage between charges" doesn't mean 180-ish on the Renault, and certainly not 160-ish on the MG. Double that, and add a bit, a we're in the right area.
    Renault have announced a refreshed, 52kWh Zoe, capable of 240-ish miles for later this year.

    240 miles is (legally) around 3.5 hours on even an empty motorway, probably nearer 4-5 with roadworks and traffic.

    Also, here's a review of the non-Razer version of the car
    240 miles is still less than myself and partner do on a weekend regularly... and with almost zero charging points along the way it's still not enough for us yet with the current infrastructure. Also I seriously doubt you'd get anywhere near 240 miles. The 2 people we know with electric cars average less than half the miles per charge they are supposed to get for various reasons
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    822
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    172 times in 130 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Surely the range on this isn't too far from what you're asking then, at 510KM? Not that I know the slightest thing about NEDC. Imagine if it hadn't been a big, hefty, heavy luxury SUV blob.
    I don't understand what Razer contributed here besides their logo, some colours and a likely price premium.
    My comment was in relation to the suggested Renault Zoe and MG ZS EV, which hellig suggested in response to my comment about being more impressed by an "average" EV for the mass market, not nearly £60k which will price the vast bulk of the market out.

    No doubt tbe Razer-Nio is impressive, for eSports, but I'm not really interested in that. I am interested in what happens in the "everyman EV" category.

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    822
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    172 times in 130 posts

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    Renault have announced a refreshed, 52kWh Zoe, capable of 240-ish miles for later this year.

    240 miles is (legally) around 3.5 hours on even an empty motorway, probably nearer 4-5 with roadworks and traffic.

    Also, here's a review of the non-Razer version of the car
    Out of curiosity, I'll look at it when it comes out, but my view echoes 3dcandy on this.

    Currently, I get about 350-380 miles out of our run-around, without getting too close to running out. And 5 minutes in any of thousands of filling stations and I'm good for another 350+.

    For a practical EV for me, I need to be able to emulate that, in both aspects, and not at £55k or more.

    But a practical EV and and eSports muscle car are different beasts. I might as well point out I'm looking more for a VW Golf than an Aston Martin .... though I was in an AM dealership a couple of m8nths ago ..... considering.

    I may or may not indulge on that, but we will need a new Golf-class vehicle in the near/middle future, and I'd rather it was an EV provided one exists that meet my needs.

    On an aside, there's zero chance it'll be a Renault, but for reasons not relevant in this thread

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    309
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    34 times in 29 posts
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix Advanced GTX1080
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Out of curiosity, I'll look at it when it comes out, but my view echoes 3dcandy on this.

    Currently, I get about 350-380 miles out of our run-around, without getting too close to running out. And 5 minutes in any of thousands of filling stations and I'm good for another 350+.

    For a practical EV for me, I need to be able to emulate that, in both aspects, and not at £55k or more.

    But a practical EV and and eSports muscle car are different beasts. I might as well point out I'm looking more for a VW Golf than an Aston Martin .... though I was in an AM dealership a couple of m8nths ago ..... considering.

    I may or may not indulge on that, but we will need a new Golf-class vehicle in the near/middle future, and I'd rather it was an EV provided one exists that meet my needs.

    On an aside, there's zero chance it'll be a Renault, but for reasons not relevant in this thread
    No EV will be able to recharge in 5 minutes for the foreseeable future, even though there are now over 800 more places to recharge than there are petrol stations.
    Many chargers are in Motorway services, supermarket, restaurant or pub carparks. Places where you intend to stop for half an hour or more.

    I suggest you look at VW's electric Golf-class car which they start taking open orders next month for delivery summer 2020, the ID3. The largest battery variant has a (official) range of 340-ish miles.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,634
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked
    523 times in 389 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I would expect that lighting would be illegal in the UK. There are very specific rules for lighting on a vehicle and green is reserved for doctors responding to emergencies (although it doesn't confer any special rights on the road - those appropriately trained in advanced and response driving use blues and can use the exemptions for emergency vehicles). Even reflectors can be described as lights under the law and so people who put blue reflective stripes on cars or bikes can be in trouble.
    I don't think that lighting's on the car. If you look at the first picture, the lighting seems to be coming from behind the car, the green around the roofline and front skirts just seems to be paint, highlighted in post-production...

  17. #16
    Senior Member Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    3,634
    Thanks
    575
    Thanked
    523 times in 389 posts
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

    Re: Razer and Nio launch a 544hp electric SUV

    Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    No EV will be able to recharge in 5 minutes for the foreseeable future, even though there are now over 800 more places to recharge than there are petrol stations.
    Many chargers are in Motorway services, supermarket, restaurant or pub carparks. Places where you intend to stop for half an hour or more.

    I suggest you look at VW's electric Golf-class car which they start taking open orders next month for delivery summer 2020, the ID3. The largest battery variant has a (official) range of 340-ish miles.
    I believe that the Tesla has a function where you put your destination into the Sat Nav, and it plans your route and stop-offs in order to keep enough charge in the car for the journey. Someone I work with recently too his Model X to Scotland from Hertfordshire, and stopped twice, so probably about the same as you would if you were doing the journey in a combustion car, although you wouldn't necessarily refuel at every stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •