Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: QOTW: Do you plan to fly again this year?

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Re: QOTW: Do you plan to fly again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Yeah I will, I got stuck in Finland for 4 and a half months longer than intended due to the first wave, but it's a safe country and has someone very important to me in it.

Only made it back to the UK two weeks ago but I certainly hope I'll be there again soon.
    Lucky bugger!

We're not going . Don't want to potentially kill relatives, get stuck in quarantine for 14 days over there oh and I'm not a Finn so they wouldn't let me in unless we argued our case.

But yeah, being stuck on planes and in a busy transfer hub doesn't seem the best thing to do at the moment.

Edit: Hang on, how were you 'stuck' in Finland? They've consistently had low numbers. If you're in the UK you could have come back at any time.
    Last edited by adidan; 31-07-2020 at 08:08 AM.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    Edit: Hang on, how were you 'stuck' in Finland? They've consistently had low numbers. If you're in the UK you could have come back at any time.
    My flights home were repeatedly cancelled by the operators, until I eventually caved and did the necessary research to find any airline who wouldn't cancel. That literally yielded 1 choice with Finnair to Heathrow, which at first I wasn't prepared for, and roped a brother in to get me home.
    Also, my family whom I was staying with before leaving and wanted to see again, are part of the at risk group, and going home during the worst of first wave seemed a poor idea..

Granted not being Finn will probably make going back a tough one, hopefully there will be a timing to get that right. Will be miserable if I can't see my Finn for months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    Your not fair,

You are a pilot so can isolate yourself and fly wherever you want!!

lol
    It's a job!

But it's a lot more complicated right now. This month I'll be going to six different countries, and four different US States, all with different quarantine requirements, and all with unique requirements for Flight Crews. Some places still require that I stay in a hotel room, which is a real annoyance if I'm somewhere that I want to go out. I passed up a week in Sydney this month as I wouldn't see anything except a hotel room. Fortunately we are exempt in a lot of places. The EU has no quarantine restrictions for flight crews. I have a five day layover in the EU this month, but I won't be able to hop a flight back to England and visit family, since it wouldn't be on a company airplane. Then there are the reporting apps on my company phone....

It's a mess, but at least I'll get to see some new places this year!

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    My flights home were repeatedly cancelled by the operators, until I eventually caved and did the necessary research to find any airline who wouldn't cancel. That literally yielded 1 choice with Finnair to Heathrow, which at first I wasn't prepared for, and roped a brother in to get me home.
    Also, my family whom I was staying with before leaving and wanted to see again, are part of the at risk group, and going home during the worst of first wave seemed a poor idea..

Granted not being Finn will probably make going back a tough one, hopefully there will be a timing to get that right. Will be miserable if I can't see my Finn for months.
    Ah ha, I see. Sorry to be nosy

Yeah it'll be tricky. I know the UK say Finland is on the ok fly list but they neglect to mention that you can't get in unless you're a Finn, live there or family connections - because the UK's infection rates are too dire.

But yeah, we don't want to take anything over - my partner's mum has health issues and her gran is getting on, don't want to risk making them ill.

Fingers crossed you get to see your Finn, they'd have no problems coming this way if that's an option.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

5. Received thanks from:

Ozaron (02-08-2020)

Thanks

Even beyond my first "no way" post, things are currently so unpredictable in terms of countries we can or can't fly to, and/or have to quarantine for 14 days on return from, or whether the airline will cancel the flight tomorrow if I book today ....

It's just a wholly unpredictable mess right now. I don't have anything I need to fly for, or that is particularly important. So flying would be purely leisure. And the potential hassle of getting mucked about, or even stranded overseas, is just too high.

Even if I had been tempted a week ago, this last week would have killed that temptation.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

If you are unwilling or unable to fly anywhere this year, now might be your opportunity to plan something for the future. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to see parts of the world that few would consider. I took this picture today, while hiking in Kazakhstan. One of the most enjoyable countries I've ever visited...

8. Received thanks from:

mtyson (10-08-2020)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

just steer clear of the old Soviet nuke test sites! There's some bad ones in Kazakhstan IIRC. And I don't think they're that well fenced off either.

Edit: it's somewhere in here I think where I heard about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMo7jUs0GMs

Edit yup see 7.25 Semipalatinsk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information