Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: First impressions of PlayStation 5?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: First impressions of PlayStation 5?

I thought they sort of said they look into 1440p given enough demand maybe perhaps.

I hate the look, haven't seen anything that wows me apart from the comments re the dualsense triggers, if it wasn't for backwards compatibility for my existing catalogue I might have gone for a Series S

Thanks

Wonder what drug the designers were on ?

Ryzen 3900X/64GB GSkill FlareX/Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra/RTX-

Thanks

Maybe I will buy a Dual Sense and use it on my PC, but I doubt it will be well supported. Not interested in the PS5 itself.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    I thought they sort of said they look into 1440p given enough demand maybe perhaps.
    I think they were a bit more non-committal than that

Meanwhile, in XBox land, they've had 1440p since last gen.

Sony really have no excuse. Given theirs is the slightly less powerful console, you'd have thought that 1440p support would be a selling point they'd want to have. Nope.

Registered+
    Thanks

Here are my first impressions of the PS5;

First of all, English is not my 1st language, so, sorry if I make a few mistakes

I received my PS5 yesterday morning (20st) and I played 10 to 15 hours since receiving it.. My initial impression was not that great, the performance leap is far from the one of the PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3 and even PS3 to PS4. Graphically I was not stunned, I played the new Spider Man game and I couldn't notice a big evolution in graphics, Ray tracing is only noticeable if you look for it, really hard, but then that's my opinion..

The other games, such as COD MW and the new BO didn't give me a better experience than on the XB One X, I seriously couldn't see a major difference (I game on a 4k HDR 60hz TV).

The only real evolution I felt was with the controller, at first it was impressive! Nearly like the feeling of trying VR for the 1st time, the effects are great when playing Astro and the triggers are fun with FPS games. After playing for a few hours, that excitement wore out and the controller was unnoticed, but again, This is my own pragmatic opinion.

The PS5 is worth having for the next 5-6 years, £450 is a Ok'ish price but I would definitely not pay extra money for it in the current situation, I wasn't disappointed with the 1st hand experience but honestly, I didn't feel the evolution of a new console.

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (22-11-2020)

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 980
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Corsair Dominator GT
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1030
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • 10 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • 70MB using BT line

Gotta say the PS5 looks ugly and it's massive!
    Will I buy one, god no. The xBox on the other hand does have things I'm interested in, but not enough to buy for another year if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmaheid View Post
    My Mistake. It was actually the local CEX shop. (they are literally next door to one another)
    My most abject apologies to Game, who, I imagine would never resort to such tactics.
    Nice little setup for that CeX, basically manager pops next door to Game for his stock, removes shrink wrap and puts on shelf for a premium.

Rigs:
    Main: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer, i7 980, 24GB Corsair Dominator GT, Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs, Asus 1030, Seasonic X-850W, Fractal Design Define R3, 10 x64 Pro, Noctua DH14 + Noctua chassis fans

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3700x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk!

I would say both the XSX and PS5 are impressive from a tech standpoint as it would take a top end PC to match it (last gen was mid range pc at release), last time this happened was the 360.

Not got one but a few friends have them and the have been telling me they have crashed/froze a few times etc. Funny thing on release day I got all the parts delivered to build a PC for a friends son, it all went to together, everything installed and it all works perfectly with no crashes or problems. For years I have been telling people get a console it will work out of the box and a PC might be a bit of messing/trouble shooting, how the tides have turned.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB / 1 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HXi 850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Nice little setup for that CeX, basically manager pops next door to Game for his stock, removes shrink wrap and puts on shelf for a premium.
    Probably has a deal in place with the manager there, split the profit between them.

Thanks

As someone considering either a PS5, Xbox X or a gaming PC, as my first gaming update since my X360, my First impression is that the PS5 is butt-ugly.

Okay, it's subjective and maybe some love the styling. But I'm struggling to get past it.

Then, comments here (and elsewhere) aren't exactly filling me with enthusiasm either. Aside from those (elsewhere) that seem to be dedicated PS-era, I'm hardly seeing glowing endorsements.

Added to that, it seems I can't buy either console platform with adopted a deerstalker hat and smoking a pipe, to track one down. And as I was planning a non-gaming PC soon (probably next year, cos I never buy this sort of thing in pre-Christmas hype) it's currently looking like sticking a half-decent (but not top-end) gaming gaming card in the PC and getting it to double-up.

First impressions of both PS5 and XBox X are hardly lighting my fire. But .... I can (and would, anyway) wait for the dust to settle before commiting.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Had all the previous generations on both platforms. Got a Series S for the wife - she immediately noticed enhanced visuals on the Assassing Creed she was playing (god knows which one). I've a One X and a PS4 original - will update both mid cycle when the smaller/cheaper ones come along.
    The PS5+ / Series X+ will be beasts - there will be no need to up the CPU power, but a bigger GPU will mean true 4K120 gaming and probably proper ray tracing.
    Happy to wait, and glad (especially the XBOX) they've treated these as a PC like evolution with backward compatibility.

Thanks

I’m sure we see fights in the street over them...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k9wazere View Post
    Given theirs is the slightly less powerful console, you'd have thought that 1440p support would be a selling point they'd want to have. Nope.
    1440p is a pretty small minority among PC users and doesn't exist in TV usage. Given how much work an extra output resolution would entail* for a tiny group of people, it's hardly surprising.

* menus, images and text sizing, accessibility and legibility including across streamed video, in system UI, standards for game cert, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I'm hardly seeing glowing endorsements.
    It's just a console; a console by itself is nothing, the games are what makes it worthwhile. Demon's Souls is the only game that could be called a system-seller on either, and that's pretty subjective.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Most of the launch games will be enhanced versions of the PS4 versions. However,as time progresses you will start to see bigger and bigger differences - the biggest upgrade is the CPU and storage. The CPU alone probably has a few times the single threaded performance of the PS4,and double the available number of threads.

To put in context,you will need to spend nearly £300 on a CPU(a Ryzen 7 3700X),which is comparable in many aspects to the CPU in the consoles. By the time you add the cost of a GPU,a 60CU RDNA GPU is well over £500,and I suspect the 40CU RDNA2 parts will be over £300. That is just for two parts alone!!

Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

Thanks

I guess the res comes down to viewing distance as well...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    1440p is a pretty small minority among PC users and doesn't exist in TV usage. Given how much work an extra output resolution would entail* for a tiny group of people, it's hardly surprising.
    Well, apparently 1440p are the best selling monitors right now. 1080p is on the way out.

So it's certainly not looking to the future, let's say With this console expected to last 5 or 6 years, supporting only 1080p or 4k seems short sighted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post

It's just a console; a console by itself is nothing, the games are what makes it worthwhile. Demon's Souls is the only game that could be called a system-seller on either, and that's pretty subjective.
    Most people are aware a console isn't much use without games for it, but they are also perfectly capable of forming an opinion on or impression of the differences, good or bad, between it and the previous iteration. And that's what I'm not seeing much enthusiasm for. So again, I'm not exactly seeing glowing endorsements, or a hearty enthusiasm, that matches manufacturer hype.

Not that I'm surprised. The better a technology gets, the harder it is for a new gen to wow, in comparison to the previous one. The more mature they are, the more evolutionary rather than revolutionary they are. It's happened over and again.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information