Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,998 times in 704 posts

    Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    However, Microsoft asserts that it "is not a work monitoring tool".
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,253
    Thanks
    460
    Thanked
    417 times in 289 posts

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Boiled frogs anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lanky123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    921
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    152 times in 101 posts
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2+4TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • ElectriQ 32" 4k IPS + Dell 22" U2212HM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60Mbit/s

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Using a program that doesn't have Microsoft in the name? Clearly you aren't being productive...

  4. #4
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,488
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked
    702 times in 595 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    "by default, reports also let managers drill down into data on individual employees, to find those who participate less in group chat conversations, send fewer emails, or fail to collaborate in shared documents". This sounds a bit like work monitoring.
    It may sound like it... but it's not.
    Most of my stuff can be done with phonecalls, physical meets and apps outside of MS, so good luck tracking all that lot.
    I could also fudge and cludge my way through making it 'look' like I'm doing something in MS, when I'm really just messing around or waiting for a datalink report to finish generating... I'm doing such things right now, in fact, although it's more like eight reports all at once, which is why my system is tied up and why I 'appear' to be doing nothing productive.

    Any manager even half-worth their salt would know this is merely suggestive and not conclusive evidence, so should not treat it as such.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    I could never work my way back up the shaft. Managed once to get to the bottom of the shaft, but got covered in slime and got stuck.

  5. #5
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,916
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked
    1,147 times in 869 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Any manager even half-worth their salt would know this is merely suggestive and not conclusive evidence, so should not treat it as such.
    But not all managers are, and many will. When I WFH I regularly transfer things onto my local machine as it is far quicker to do so half the time than use the vpn. What this would show is a hole. Stupid software if you ask me, but there'll be enough idiots who think that's how you manage juniors to think it's a good idea. It risks getting people too paranoid to think properly about what they're doing but instead eager to appear busy - at the cost of actual productivity or detail/reasoned design.

  6. #6
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,488
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked
    702 times in 595 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    But not all managers are, and many will. When I WFH I regularly transfer things onto my local machine as it is far quicker to do so half the time than use the vpn. What this would show is a hole. Stupid software if you ask me, but there'll be enough idiots who think that's how you manage juniors to think it's a good idea. It risks getting people too paranoid to think properly about what they're doing but instead eager to appear busy - at the cost of actual productivity or detail/reasoned design.
    Or just educate your manager.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    I could never work my way back up the shaft. Managed once to get to the bottom of the shaft, but got covered in slime and got stuck.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    40 times in 31 posts
    • atemporal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell ownbrand
      • CPU:
      • i5-2500
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 160GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • you're kidding right?
      • PSU:
      • 300W OEM Dell
      • Case:
      • Dell Optiplex 990
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Some small 17" dell thing
      • Internet:
      • yes I has the internet

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    If your manager is anything like my old one they ain't for educating or reason. Kind of the shoot first, don't ask questions and don't explain why approach was all I got. Given how much I used to do by hand there's only so far these monitoring things go, but unless the people looking at it understand that, well there's going to be some disagreements I suppose. Assuming you are given the chance to explain and discuss things with a manager is all well and good, but bad ones might not give people the opportunity. It's certainly what I felt happened to me at the end. P45 and no discussion or forewarning. Some of the people they kept are liabilities by comparison but because they use computer 100% of the time (when a two line hand check would suffice) they score highly on this metric stuff. I'm in the no-thanks camp for this one I think.

  8. #8
    Hardcore Tory, Lost Cause Ttaskmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6,488
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked
    702 times in 595 posts
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe wiv perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by atemporal View Post
    If your manager is anything like my old one they ain't for educating or reason. Kind of the shoot first, don't ask questions and don't explain why approach was all I got. Given how much I used to do by hand there's only so far these monitoring things go, but unless the people looking at it understand that, well there's going to be some disagreements I suppose. Assuming you are given the chance to explain and discuss things with a manager is all well and good, but bad ones might not give people the opportunity. It's certainly what I felt happened to me at the end. P45 and no discussion or forewarning. Some of the people they kept are liabilities by comparison but because they use computer 100% of the time (when a two line hand check would suffice) they score highly on this metric stuff. I'm in the no-thanks camp for this one I think.
    That is what unions and industrial tribunals are for.
    If you don't get the opportunity to explain why their 'evidence' is flawed, then beat them round the head with it at the hearing.
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    I could never work my way back up the shaft. Managed once to get to the bottom of the shaft, but got covered in slime and got stuck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked
    527 times in 320 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B85M-G
      • CPU:
      • i5 4460 3.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Crucial DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100, 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RX 480 Dual OC 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Pop!_OS 19:10 / Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Microsoft say: ""Productivity Score is not a work monitoring tool"" and I believe they mean it. However Microsoft also say "Excel is not a database" and that hasn't stopped millions of misguided souls in organisations across the globe from trying to use it as one.

  10. Received thanks from:

    atemporal (28-11-2020),wazzickle (29-11-2020),Xlucine (29-11-2020)

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    It can be a useful thing for a smart manager in a limited types of situations. For employee, as always, just one more thing to be worried about.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    9 times in 9 posts

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Any manager even half-worth their salt would know this is merely suggestive and not conclusive evidence, so should not treat it as such.
    But not all managers are, and many will. When I WFH I regularly transfer things onto my local machine as it is far quicker to do so half the time than use the vpn. What this would show is a hole. Stupid software if you ask me, but there'll be enough idiots who think that's how you manage juniors to think it's a good idea. It risks getting people too paranoid to think properly about what they're doing but instead eager to appear busy - at the cost of actual productivity or detail/reasoned design.
    You probably violating some compliance rules of your company doing that. At least I am prohibited from such work even it would help company a lot.

  13. #12
    RIP Peterb ik9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,916
    Thanks
    1,592
    Thanked
    1,147 times in 869 posts
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

    Re: Microsoft Productivity Score feature comes in for criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by DevDrake View Post
    You probably violating some compliance rules of your company doing that. At least I am prohibited from such work even it would help company a lot.
    Not relevant here. Not handling confidential client data on my machine that's all cloud based, as are emails etc. It's just analysis and various mundane but non sensitive work. Anything sensitive in my line of work is usually too complicated to do other than on the work machine. Also not breaking any rules or compliance or such like.

    You make a Fair comment but I think perhaps more relevant to other lines of work/organisations. Someone finding my excel calcs and thinking they're into something juicy will be quickly bored and disappointed unless they have some strange fetish for the mundane.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •