• Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Re: EU Digital Services and Digital Markets Acts unveiled today

I think this are just a gesture ploy, like the old rules, they should deploy more draconian measures against the big tech companies.
    This Dane are firmly anti EU as it is now and where it is heading, but i am all pro trade and i very much hope to be able to do shopping in the UK as opposed to in my native country.
    I have even contemplated moving down south close to the German border, so i could do my regular shopping down there, as a result of me feeling the plan are to destroy Denmark, in which case i want to support that by spending my money elsewhere.

As you can guess with me most times it is all in or nothing.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post
    European versions of eBay, Youtube, Twitch, Steamm Netlix etc.. nowhere to be seen.
    there's mileage in a lot of what you say, but on this last point, BritBox and BBC US or whatever the international version is are out there. It's not exactly netflix but there is a valid core service there that can be built upon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    there's mileage in a lot of what you say, but on this last point, BritBox and BBC US or whatever the international version is are out there. It's not exactly netflix but there is a valid core service there that can be built upon
    Indeed - we have several thriving alternatives, but quite often us Brits crave the American stuff...
    I'm as guilty having devoured The Mandalorian, SEAL Team and SWAT - and even His Dark Materials is a HBO offering mainly. Raised By Wolves has been bonkers but a decent watch too
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I think the problem is for those of us who like the EU we haven't stopped wanting to be members of the EU. Rejoining is all i'm practically going to looking at voting towards for the next 50 odd years of my life as I feel that aggrieved by it. This was never going to be a settled argument and probably never will be. I think some of the porkies told by leave haven't helped too (oven ready deals, so many millions back - we've spent almost as much leaving as we've put since the EU started etc).

I could go one but maybe we should step away from Brexit for a bit before it gets heated? I just wanted to explain why this isn't settled in many minds.
    But that makes my point, don't you think.

No, the topic isn't going away. But the issue is different. It has moved from "reasons for/against leaving", to "rejoining". Constantly rehashing whether we should have left or not, every time anything with "EU" mentioned in it comes up is tedious. Yes, we all know lots of people didn't want to leave, and still don't, and lots more did, but the fact remains we HAVE. It happened in January.

Yes, we should/shouldn't rejoin is a perfectly valid thread subject. But this thread is supposed to be about these two Acts, not a perpetual redux of the leave/remain arguments.

Besides which, at least the "Rejoin" argument has different nuances ... such as, will we get the deal we had if we try? My money is firmly on "hell no, not a prayer". Which makes seeking to join significantly different from seeking to remain, which is now a useless pipedream because we have already left.

So can we please be able to discuss things EU-related, like these Acts, without redoing Leave/Remain?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    But that makes my point, don't you think.

No, the topic isn't going away. But the issue is different. It has moved from "reasons for/against leaving", to "rejoining". Constantly rehashing whether we should have left or not, every time anything we "EU" in it comes up is tedious. Yes, we all know lots of people didn't want to leave, and still don't but we HAVE. It happened in January.

Yes, we should/shouldn't rejoin is a perfectly valid thread subject. But this thread is supposed to be about these two Acts, not a perpetual redux of the leave/remain arguments.

Besides which, at least the "Rejoin" argument has different nuances ... such as, will we get the deal we had if we try? My money is firmly on "hell no, not a prayer". Which makes seeking to join significantly different from seeking to remain, which is now a useless pipedream because we have already left.

So can we please be able to discuss things EU-related, like these Acts, without redoing Leave/Remain?
    Fine. People are saying they think we should rejoin the EU. It never did us any harm. Can anyone give any examples to the contrary?

Thanks

Fine. People are saying they think we should rejoin the EU. It never did us any harm. Can anyone give any examples to the contrary?
    Why not put that in a thread entitled "Should we rejoin the EU", not wreck a thread about those two Acts?

Then, anyone interested in those Acts can discuss it, and those wanting to discuss rejoining can, too.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Why not put that in a thread entitled "Should we rejoin the EU", not wreck a thread about those two Acts?

Then, anyone interested in those Acts can discuss it, and those wanting to discuss rejoining can, too.
    I'm not the one wrecking the thread. Someone else brought it up. You're just singling me out because I take a different stance on the EU to you. Any examples you want to give, or do you want to retract your cobblers comment?

Thanks

Oh, and personally, I have zero interest in discussing rejoining until/unless it looks like it's a realistic political possibility. That isn't saying anybody else shouldn't but I'd say the chances under this government are zero, so an essential precondition for rejoining is a change of government. Until then, have at it but I'm still bored rigid about leave/remain, never mind rejoin/don't.

Thanks

I'm not the one wrecking the thread. Someone else brought it up. You're just singling me out because I take a different stance on the EU to you. Any examples you want to give, or do you want to retract your cobblers comment?
    Agreed, you're not. I didn't intend to suggest you were. The cobblers didn't relate to you.

10. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (15-12-2020)

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

well the UK has started its own plans for digital stuff for next year.

the CMA is planned to get more powers for anti-competitiveness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55230704
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...le-post-brexit

and Ofcom is going to sort out the 'online harm' side of things https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55302431

i wonder whether we'll just copy paste the EU ones and vote it through first, then claim all the credit for coming up with all the good bits. also, this might be the first test of 'the level playing field' (that ive not read much about) going on in the trade talks.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

if ofcom are involved it's not going to be worth much. I can't think of much good they've done in recent years. Not if you're an average consumer at least.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Not again.

I started in the whole leave/remain debate in around 2014.

This was settled in 2016.

These constant arguments about is the EU good or bad for Britain are not now relevant and it's turned into a parasitic topic, sneaking its way into and poisoning any discussion about anything even mildly related.

During a discussion about coronavirus, someone who wanted to remain tried to trap someone else who voted leave into admitting Brexit was a bad idea. It JUST. WON'T. DIE.

This country will never move forward as nimbly and ably as it can, whilst experiencing the horrendous inertia from us still bickering over something that should be settled. We should be putting efforts into how best to proceed. How closely do we mirror EU legislation to reduce trade friction, how do we still participate in cross border policing effectively, do we need to alter data protection laws to enable that.... etc

But no, a thread which could have a healthy discussion about "is this something we want to adopt? Is the government working on anything similar? If they are, do we as nerds need to be part of that discussion? Could it cause problems and should we wait and see how the EU get it wrong before acting?" has turned into the same old dross. This country won't take advantage of real potential opportunities from leaving the EU because people are still busy either digging its grave or rehashing the same arguments they should have been making prior to the vote.

I can only imagine it is because people who wanted to remain (likely due to the government overconfidence in a remain vote) didn't speak up until they realised it was too late. I think this is why a two-step referendum would have been helpful. First referendum is do we want to discuss it and second is the vote. If only to guarantee engagement and avoid what seems like resentment.

Please move past this, people. Wasting time and effort pushing each other apart further is just going to ensure that we fail.

Thanks

When are we actually going to be discuss something like this without it descending into the same tired old cobblers.
    My cobblers maybe old but they're defiantly not tired, they've hardly seen any use.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Not again.

I started in the whole leave/remain debate in around 2014.

This was settled in 2016.

These constant arguments about is the EU good or bad for Britain are not now relevant and it's turned into a parasitic topic, sneaking its way into and poisoning any discussion about anything even mildly related.

During a discussion about coronavirus, someone who wanted to remain tried to trap someone else who voted leave into admitting Brexit was a bad idea. It JUST. WON'T. DIE.

This country will never move forward as nimbly and ably as it can, whilst experiencing the horrendous inertia from us still bickering over something that should be settled. We should be putting efforts into how best to proceed. How closely do we mirror EU legislation to reduce trade friction, how do we still participate in cross border policing effectively, do we need to alter data protection laws to enable that.... etc

But no, a thread which could have a healthy discussion about "is this something we want to adopt? Is the government working on anything similar? If they are, do we as nerds need to be part of that discussion? Could it cause problems and should we wait and see how the EU get it wrong before acting?" has turned into the same old dross. This country won't take advantage of real potential opportunities from leaving the EU because people are still busy either digging its grave or rehashing the same arguments they should have been making prior to the vote.

I can only imagine it is because people who wanted to remain (likely due to the government overconfidence in a remain vote) didn't speak up until they realised it was too late. I think this is why a two-step referendum would have been helpful. First referendum is do we want to discuss it and second is the vote. If only to guarantee engagement and avoid what seems like resentment.

Please move past this, people. Wasting time and effort pushing each other apart further is just going to ensure that we fail.
    Try reading the thread and you'll see that this all came up because of Gagaga spouting BS about why the EU wanted these laws in the first place. Brexit wasn't even mentioned until someone - a leaver IIRC - brought it up much later. So it's not people who wanted to remain, and the discussion was nothing about leave/remain in the first place.

16. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (15-12-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Try reading the thread and you'll see that this all came up because of Gagaga spouting BS about why the EU wanted these laws in the first place. Brexit wasn't even mentioned until someone - a leaver IIRC - brought it up much later. So it's not people who wanted to remain, and the discussion was nothing about leave/remain in the first place.
    I don't think they are a leaver... a number of these accounts posts are some kind of attack on some major European company or entity.

Even their rant against European cellular companies,buries the fact that Europe is ahead of many US companies in Essential 5G patents.

What they don't understand is Nokia,the phone company,is different from Nokia the telecommunications company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Networks

That Nokia acquired both the cellular infrastructure divisons of German Siemens and French Alcatel-Lucent. Nokia Networks is massive - it has 150000 people!!

Have they also forgotten the RIM(Blackberry) phone division also has had almost the same fate as Nokia too?? Motorola?? They also underestimated Apple and Samsung.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 17-12-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    When are we actually going to be discuss something like this without it descending into the same tired old cobblers.
    My cobblers maybe old but they're defiantly not tired, they've hardly seen any use.
    As an American, I'm still sad we don't even have the protections of GDPR. Also, as an American, I thought a load of old cobblers meant a pile of horse dung in the street, left behind by one of the carriages you are always using in madcap adventures that we only learn about over the wireless telegraph.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information