Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Specialist fanless cooling case also packed in an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    IQ: 1.42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    old trafford
    Posts
    1,340
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked
    94 times in 80 posts
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    I love this and I know it totally goes against it but I reckon adding a huge heatsink with just 1 giant slow moving fan onto the card, while adding *some* noise, would be an OK trade off for a near-silent 3080 system.

  3. #3
    Keep it sexy Zhaoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,527
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked
    126 times in 106 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I love this and I know it totally goes against it but I reckon adding a huge heatsink with just 1 giant slow moving fan onto the card, while adding *some* noise, would be an OK trade off for a near-silent 3080 system.
    Totally agree. I like the idea of pure fanless systems but slow spinning fans will drastically improve temperatures/performance without really impacting on noise in most cases.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,526
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    468 times in 326 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    If the picture is anything to go by then I'd guess we'd see a few degrees more if the PSU (assuming that's fanless) was in the case and the top cover was on. Not knocking that case though as it's lovely it's just he's maybe asking too much of it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London town
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    21 times in 16 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I love this and I know it totally goes against it but I reckon adding a huge heatsink with just 1 giant slow moving fan onto the card, while adding *some* noise, would be an OK trade off for a near-silent 3080 system.
    Totally agree. I like the idea of pure fanless systems but slow spinning fans will drastically improve temperatures/performance without really impacting on noise in most cases.
    Have a selection of fanless PCs in mostly Akasa cases - they struggle in the UK with no AC and no forced air circulation. Over heating/throttling is common. A slow fan makes an enormous difference.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Jonj1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,218
    Thanks
    1,480
    Thanked
    864 times in 657 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Bet that thing weighs a ton
    Jon

  7. #7
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,839
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,131 times in 3,957 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    I find it utterly hilarious. When Nvidia has the performance/watt lead everyone is showing the advantages,ie,SFF builds,passively cooled ones. Now AMD has the lead,people are finding ways to use Nvidia in such builds.

    If anything it makes more sense for AMD to be in SFF and passively cooled builds,due to lower power consumption,and less memory ICs needing to be cooled.

    An RX6900XT for example consumes less power at peak than even an RTX3080! An RX6800 is only a few watts more than a slower RTX3070.

    This is exactly the same in the Fermi days - just find anyway to shoehorn those parts into SFF and passive builds.

    Edit!!

    Doesn't GDDR6X also run hotter than GDDR6 too? Another advantage for using AMD in this scenario too!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 20-02-2021 at 03:36 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,690
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked
    235 times in 216 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Yes, some kind of very big and slow running case fan seems a sensible addition. Preferable with a fan controller which has an off option too.

    BitFenix do a 230mm case fan. Looks to be a bit noise at 25.6gB(A) but that is that full speed where it has 264m³/​h so assuming it can go slower (spec mentions operating at 5V to 12V) that might be ideal. Although the specs also say 3-pin (or 4-pin for RGB) so unsure if these can be PWN controlled.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Bet that thing weighs a ton
    I doubt it, its mostly aluminum.

  10. #10
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,617
    Thanks
    741
    Thanked
    1,480 times in 1,248 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    I think the old Shuttle systems were a good compromise, using heatpipes to get heat to a rear radiator with a largish fan exhausting air through it. But they had a tendency to cook their VRM, I would imagine this to be far harder to get everything you need cooled.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,526
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    468 times in 326 posts

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by six_tymes View Post
    I doubt it, its mostly aluminum.
    IDK how much the aluminium weighs in at but the CPU heatsink weights in at 2.5Kg and the case alone weights in at 10kg, at least according to this LTT video.

  12. Received thanks from:

    Jonj1611 (21-02-2021)

  13. #12
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,839
    Thanks
    3,839
    Thanked
    5,131 times in 3,957 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I think the old Shuttle systems were a good compromise, using heatpipes to get heat to a rear radiator with a largish fan exhausting air through it. But they had a tendency to cook their VRM, I would imagine this to be far harder to get everything you need cooled.
    I had a few and in my P2 case,I modified the CPU cooler with constant speed fans so the VRMs were fine. I also changed over the chipset heatsink to an actively cooled one,and added more heatsinks to the VRMs! The main issue was more that Shuttle and many companies at the time didn't pay sufficient attention to what capacitors they were using,and they tended to be electrolyte capacitors too. So it was essentially to keep them cool and remove any heat as soon as possible. Interestingly enough my SD37P2 seemed to have lasted longer than many others with similar parts!

  14. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,617
    Thanks
    741
    Thanked
    1,480 times in 1,248 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 35 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Turemetal UP10 fanless case spotted running passive RTX 3080

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I had a few and in my P2 case,I modified the CPU cooler with constant speed fans so the VRMs were fine. I also changed over the chipset heatsink to an actively cooled one,and added more heatsinks to the VRMs! The main issue was more that Shuttle and many companies at the time didn't pay sufficient attention to what capacitors they were using,and they tended to be electrolyte capacitors too. So it was essentially to keep them cool and remove any heat as soon as possible. Interestingly enough my SD37P2 seemed to have lasted longer than many others with similar parts!
    We used to buy the early Athlon ones with the VIA chipset where I worked at the time to sekk to customers as part of a development kit, pre-loaded with all the software needed and in the matching flight case. Those things were awesome and seemed almost indestructible taking a punishment as hand luggage on planes and lasting years.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •