• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Expect an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, 3080 Ti launch on 31 May

You can get an RTX3060 in a laptop for under £1000,and the laptop RTX3060 GPUs use the full chip unlike desktop versions.You can get RTX3070 laptops for a few £100 more. Prebuilt desktops are bit more pricer,but still its not too hard to get a full gaming system now for less money than buying the overpriced parts from retailers.

Prebuilt systems tend to outsell DIY built systems AFAIK,and AMD/Nvidia/Intel revenue seems generally fine,so I am doubtful about how much of this chip shortage is really a shortage. AMD decided to push a lot of its 7NM production towards consoles,so it is their fault for their shortages, and this includes the fact they got a lot of spare 7NM capacity because of Huawei being booted from TSMC. They knew very well they would have a lack of volume for DIY PC parts,and knew very well they could price parts higher because of it.

Also car companies were hit by poor planning - they reduced orders at fabs last year during the first series of lockdowns since they made the prediction they would sell less vehicles. Now vehicle sales are picking up they have a problem.

Its the same with so many of the "shortages" - companies cut orders because of the pandemic,but when demand actually rose or quickly rebounded,they were left with nothing. Some of the shortages are more UK centric due to the effects of leaving the EU. Yet in so many other industries companies are showing record margins,record revenue and record profits. This is not indicative of shortages. Probably more a case of increased demand due to people being stuck at home.

Yet despite "increased demand" I have managed to get lots of other non-PC things fine and at reasonable prices. The same goes with certain PC parts - I built a new Intel based system reasonably under budget too since Intel is "not hip" now and people overpay for AMD products,hence AMD has decided to join in.

So there isn't really a "shortage" of GPUs but more the case DIY PC builders are getting screwed over by miners and opportunistic price increases by AMD/Nvidia and gamers "having" to pay it. It was exactly the same as the previous two mining booms,DIY PC builders were screwed over but prebuilt systems were much easier to find with the same GPUs.

Its what I have been telling people here for years - DIY PC builders are bottom of the pecking order,and companies are happy to push up prices massively,whilst happily dropping margins and prices for OEMs,console makers,etc. OEMs are clearly not paying £700+ for an RX6700XT or an RTX3060! They are clearly getting far more volume too.

This is why I won't pay through the nose for parts,and stick with my old ones,as they look at gamers and PC enthusiasts as whales,and an ideal high margin market. So best to vote with your pocket and not pay the high prices,even if it means getting a console(they are easier to source at RRP),using an old GPU or doing something else. My only concern is finding replacement GPUs for a hardware failure,but apart from that as long as what I have works,I will keep it for as long as I can. If it means avoiding newer,GPU intensive games then that is what I will do. If it means I eventually have to buy a prebuilt desktop or a laptop,then that is how it will be.

They can only charge what the market will bare. Paying through the nose for PC parts only helps AMD/Intel/Nvidia drop their margins for OEMs,etc for the same parts and makes your wallets much lighter than it needs to be! These companies have just gotten used to PC gamers/PC enthusiasts putting up with massive price increases - people had this weird view the Turing price increases made it failure. No,it was a success as Nvidia had another record year after it. Gamers and PC enthusiasts are happy to pay through the nose which is what financials have shown each year. Hence, street prices will fit what the market is willing to pay because not only are miners paying but so are gamers. The current issues only have added to something that has been happening over the last 5~10 years.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-05-2021 at 02:17 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

neepheid (25-05-2021)

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

AMDs low supply makes perfect sense due to allocation of consoles and EPYC, its disapointing but it should switch to GPUs in the shorter term once the backlog of consoles are fulfilled (which is looking better every day).

How does it explain the pricing and stock issues of Nvidia cards? They have pretty much the entire Samsung 8nm line to themselves and I cant imagine the yields are truly single digit or something so the low stock is either nvidia giving direct to miners and OEMs and screwing the rest or they are simply holding stock?

Ive been watching the stock updates on scan and they have had 127 preorders listed for MONTHS now which is crazy, they havent had a single shipment in ages which is baffling. I wanted to get a 3080 to replace my Vega 64 because its significantly better are running VR to Quest2 due to Nvidia actually improving their encoder performance whereas AMD ignored theirs so I AMD isnt an option this gen unfortunately.

Even looking at OEMS they seem to be selling AIB 3080s for near 1k which frankly insane, I know its captalism supply and demand but at some point it just feels like a joke...

I refuse to pay the inflated price but it seems impossible that a 3080 FE will appear on scan anytime this year, at this rate the 4000 series will be released xD.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Where do I start queueing for inevitable stock disappointment? I'll need a new keyboard as well at the same time as my F5 key has seen more pounding than a FakeTaxi

5. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (26-05-2021)

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

In terms of pricing, there needs to be a distinction drawn between 'charge what people are willing to pay' and 'profiteering'. The latter is with vital goods, that people need to survive; the former is for luxuries. When no-one is holding a metaphorical gun to your customers' heads, there is no ethical problem - imo - with setting high prices, which only become problematic when it's to do with medicine or food, etc, which is clearly profiteering.

Where things that are luxuries start to feel like necessities, it's just because of entitlement. We are - should be - entitled to food, water, shelter, medicine, protection, education, and opportunity, as basic human rights. Those things should be walled off from market forces. Electronics and computer equipment are not basic human rights and regular economic concepts by necessity are in play - within reason, of course.

There are always going to be companies that aren't scalping, and they help the situation enormously. I'm a big fan of Infinite Computing right now, for GPUs they're charging about as reasonable prices as you can find online.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    Where things that are luxuries start to feel like necessities, it's just because of entitlement. We are - should be - entitled to food, water, shelter, medicine, protection, education, and opportunity, as basic human rights. Those things should be walled off from market forces. Electronics and computer equipment are not basic human rights and regular economic concepts by necessity are in play - within reason, of course.
    I see where you are coming from, but I don't really consider a GPU to be a gaming thing. I use mine to work, the kids use theirs as part of their education.

Thanks

Well another FE drop today, I'm out of the country again..

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

3080 FE dropped and I got hit by a recaptcha as I was going to buy, sad times!

Bots are better at recaptcha than me
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but I don't really consider a GPU to be a gaming thing. I use mine to work, the kids use theirs as part of their education.
    Still a luxury item.

Thanks

I think you guys have the 3080ti and 3070ti dates mixed up. According to wccf tech, the 3080ti will be available from the 3rd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information