• Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

Re: Microsoft Windows 11 to be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users

My Ryzen 3900X fails the TPM check so I presume my i7-2700k, i7-3770k, i3-4330, and i7-4770s desktops, and i5-4210 laptop will also fail. They're all currently runnin Win10Pro, so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue with local accounts. I do not *EVER* want to have to use an online account to sign into my OS. I like having a very clear line between mu PCs and "the cloud".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I have this feeling you might not be wanting it full stop... supposedly, outside of desktop, MS requires a front facing camera too, I have absolutely zero idea why that is a requirement of an OS.... mind you it does seem to be a way to stop it on laptops, just disable them lol
    I did buy a little packet of plastic lens shields. It was a few quid (about £5, IIRC) for a pack of about 8 or 10. They're each a very thin (about 1mm I'd guess) little frame with a bit of sliding plastic in it which can physically block any camera, and yet, can be opened in a moment when/if I actually need the camera. I have them on my laptop, the wife's laptop, my Surface Pro, both our phones and a Samsung tablet, and still have a few spares. It gets round the camera thing very neatly, and they're easy to remove if I ever sell the device.

If, on the other hand, MS require a camera that works, i.e. like for facial recognition biometrics, just to boot, then you're dead right, they can stick that, for my part. I'm not aware that they do though, but haven't checked. As Tabbykatze (and others) have said ... I'll be waiting several months for the dust to settle (assuming it doesn't auto-install (see note)) before giving it serious attention to decide whether to install or not.

(Note - The possibility that it might auto-install is why I said in, I think, the first thread giving a heads-up on W11, that I was taking care to keep my disk images up-to-date. If it does auto-install, that will be time to disconnect those machines from the net, and revert to a W10 image).
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    I have an Asus Maximus VIII Formula motherboard with an Intel i7-6700K and 32GB ram along with a Nvidia 3090FE

It fails the Windows 11 compatibility check.

The Asus motherboard has NO TPM header at all and it does not even have the intel PTT support in the BIOS either.

Also the I7-6700k is deemed not supported by Microsoft for Windows 11.

I'm running near all games in ultra everything at 1440p on a 144Hz G-Sync LG monitor with fullest possible FPS.

My PC is fine.

Microsoft can suck a fat one.

Out of touch, as always they seem to be. Idiots working for them, absolute morons.
    I though that was just the UI designers and whatever manager who insists the answer to everything is RibbonUI?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I did buy a little packet of plastic lens shields. It was a few quid (about £5, IIRC) for a pack of about 8 or 10. They're each a very thin (about 1mm I'd guess) little frame with a bit of sliding plastic in it which can physically block any camera, and yet, can be opened in a moment when/if I actually need the camera. I have them on my laptop, the wife's laptop, my Surface Pro, both our phones and a Samsung tablet, and still have a few spares. It gets round the camera thing very neatly, and they're easy to remove if I ever sell the device.

If, on the other hand, MS require a camera that works, i.e. like for facial recognition biometrics, just to boot, then you're dead right, they can stick that, for my part. I'm not aware that they do though, but haven't checked. As Tabbykatze (and others) have said ... I'll be waiting several months for the dust to settle (assuming it doesn't auto-install (see note)) before giving it serious attention to decide whether to install or not.
    The biggest issue I have with 'needing a camera' (might be home only looking more into it) is the fact that I have been to some companies for work where you can't take ANY device with a camera into them due to privacy etc...

To be honest, while I do like the idea of performance boost that windows 11 brings, thinking more and more about how I use my current setup, I'm not sure I want to change due to the stupid new start menu, it just seems so inefficient for someone who has a lot of programs, I've got around 70 pinned programs which I use pretty regularly.... it also seems they've gone for a 'white on white' theme with their programs that lacks any real contrast, I swear they must have millennials designing stuff who don't know about colour theory (like mozilla and latest firefox)...

I've actually been a fairly early adopter and fortunately had no real issues but I've also been stung by MS 'changing requirements' as well (win 8.1, s939 cpu's didn't support something) so I'm likely going to be holding off on any new builds too, although I can see MS not updating windows 10 for new hardware to push windows 11...

Thanks

I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to it, LSG, but I'm sure one W11 YT video I watched showed a simply control panel setting that allowed the new "centralised" thingy to be turned off, with one simple switch. That suggests (but doesn't guarantee, I guess) that 'pinned' items can be set to work as in W10.

If so, that's how UI changes should be done - let the user decide to 'upgrade' or stick with the status quo.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Ofc I could if I wanted a serious downgrade. I mean I could save even more and drop to 1st Gen Ryzen and 8GB of RAM.
    So what actually is your point then? Apart from moaning?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium View Post
    My Ryzen 3900X fails the TPM check so I presume my i7-2700k, i7-3770k, i3-4330, and i7-4770s desktops, and i5-4210 laptop will also fail. They're all currently runnin Win10Pro, so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue with local accounts. I do not *EVER* want to have to use an online account to sign into my OS. I like having a very clear line between mu PCs and "the cloud".
    Turn on the tpm bios feature... sorted
    And I imagine that in your case an upgrade will be enough to use your local account. But you will (obvs) lose features

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    However, after backing up, I used the Windows inbuilt mbr2gpt command and it was all sorted.
    Hadn't even heard of that, cheers.

My Linux ssd is already gpt, but apparently the Windows ssd is still on mbr. Again, this is probably from constant migration and update from one ssd to the next.

Given that do my work under Linux and only use Windows as a game launcher, I imagine I will be doing the switch to 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to it, LSG, but I'm sure one W11 YT video I watched showed a simply control panel setting that allowed the new "centralised" thingy to be turned off, with one simple switch. That suggests (but doesn't guarantee, I guess) that 'pinned' items can be set to work as in W10.

If so, that's how UI changes should be done - let the user decide to 'upgrade' or stick with the status quo.
    From what I've seen, you can enable a 'classic w10' layout (basically the updated win 10 look we'd seen) via a regedit but no guarantee that will stick around (might be lucky and be a business gpedit type thing) or you can basically just left align the new 'central' design.

It's quite comical all the restrictions on the new start/taskbar UI, you can't put it at the top, you can't resize it, you can't group things like in windows 10 (although I assume you can order them how you want). It just seems that they've tried to cater for the 'mobile generation' while ignoring those that want to get work done efficiently... I can understand it on a tablet or the neo but desktop where you have tonnes of space it just seems daft.

Not to mention the start button moves.... now if it was dead centred I could understand but it's left aligned on an expanding centralised group of icons and moves as you open more programs (along with when it goes 'tablet mode').
    Last edited by LSG501; 25-06-2021 at 07:50 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (26-06-2021)

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Turn on the tpm bios feature... sorted
    It depends on the motherboard and bios support. For example the i7-2700K supports Intel IPT, but without the bios support it can't be turned on as far as I am aware. Same for the i7-6700K, again the CPU supports it, but without bios support it can't be turned on. Not sure about the Ryzen systems or Bios, I've yet to look at the one in my house.

I know my 9900KF and motherboard do have this feature available. Again I would imagine it's highly dependent on bios support though. YMMV.

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Heres a nice link for you showing all Intel suported cpus ffor windows 11.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Thanks
    • Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    Heres a nice link for you showing all Intel suported cpus ffor windows 11.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors
    Looks like none of my Intel chips are on the list. That's a shame. They may be getting long in the tooth, but they're still good for anything but video editting and top end gaming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    It depends on the motherboard and bios support. For example the i7-2700K supports Intel IPT, but without the bios support it can't be turned on as far as I am aware. Same for the i7-6700K, again the CPU supports it, but without bios support it can't be turned on. Not sure about the Ryzen systems or Bios, I've yet to look at the one in my house.

I know my 9900KF and motherboard do have this feature available. Again I would imagine it's highly dependent on bios support though. YMMV.
    It's in ALL the systems I've got here apart from 1 old low powered server (only used to ingest livestreams before they're sorted and then sent out again)

Thanks

Way to go Microsoft..a total mess from the off!. Of all the Windows 10 Tablets, Laptops and my Gaming rig across my Household, not one qualifies for Windows 11....My Gaming rig has a i7 4Ghz generation 6 CPU, so it's a no on that score as well, while 1Ghz Atom CPU's pass with flying colours. Even if Windows 11 will install on my Gaming rig with a "warning" Why would I? With Windows 10 Microsoft has thrust up on us a singular Computing Eco-System that syncs across all our devices. This makes a nonsense of this! I have Windows 10 on all my systems! Imagine what this will mean to Businesses across the world, and Microsoft have the audacity to provide links to buy yourself new "Windows 11 Ready" PC's....After you have spent thousands on these new devices, they then expect a pat on the back as the new OS is "Free"....Unbelievable....

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus prime B650M-A II
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB @ 4.8 Gt/s (don't want to wait for memory training)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5+ 2TB (boot), Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Dual 4070 w/ shroud mod
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Gigabit symmetrical

If your hardware doesn't support it, W10 support out to 2025 isn't too bad - plenty of time to find a linux distro you like.

Looks like my laptop might run it (6200U, so TPM 1.2), my desktop will run it when I turn on TPM (3700X), and my 4690k HTPC probably won't (apparently intel didn't turn on TPM on K SKUs until quite recently, despite having it on non-K models?)

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

I have to admit the more i look into windwos 11 the more I feel they have made a right old hash of it <again>.
    Thing is though its like when dx12 came out only this time is direct dive access, so it's something people want...... we just don't want the new version of windows to run the darn thing, infact put both of these on windows 7 and I would be over the moon!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information