• Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Re: Microsoft Windows 11 to be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    If your hardware doesn't support it, W10 support out to 2025 isn't too bad - plenty of time to find a linux distro you like.

Looks like my laptop might run it (6200U, so TPM 1.2), my desktop will run it when I turn on TPM (3700X), and my 4690k HTPC probably won't (apparently intel didn't turn on TPM on K SKUs until quite recently, despite having it on non-K models?)
    Hate to tell you it needs tpm 2.0 you can get around this by copying the Install.wim or install.esd into a usb windwos 10 iso stick, however every single update etc you'll be doing it again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    I am having fun.

I've just read ALL of this jazz before. It's not even out for testing yet.
    So just trolling then, got ya'.
    Nope. Not at all. It just gets a bit silly reading pages and pages and PAGES of TPM rubbish. So many people complained about Windows 10. They now have it. SO many people will complain about Windows 11. Then they'll eventually install it. I DID get the angst against Windows 8, but not 11. Or 10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Nice of you to be so dismissive, although I'm not sure why you felt the need to blah, blah, blah about peoples concerns instead of getting on with you life and having 'fun'.
    Perhaps because some people just like to follow along with anything a company like MS (or it could be Apple, NVideo, and so on) does and have no concept of the notion that those who don't like it may have good reason for not liking it.
    Nope. I did get why people didn't appreciate the Windows 8 changes, despite STILL being able to run and get your task/job done the exact same way (ish). People just like to moan and then... install the stuff anyway.

How many people complained about Windows 10 and now use it each day? How many people will complain about Windows 11, but then install and use it anyway? I get the TPM issues. Nothing else.

How many people making comments have even tried Windows 11?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    I have an Asus Maximus VIII Formula motherboard with an Intel i7-6700K and 32GB ram along with a Nvidia 3090FE

It fails the Windows 11 compatibility check.

The Asus motherboard has NO TPM header at all and it does not even have the intel PTT support in the BIOS either.

Also the I7-6700k is deemed not supported by Microsoft for Windows 11.

I'm running near all games in ultra everything at 1440p on a 144Hz G-Sync LG monitor with fullest possible FPS.

My PC is fine.

Microsoft can suck a fat one.

Out of touch, as always they seem to be. Idiots working for them, absolute morons.
    Maybe you're out of touch. Things move on. Apple moves to Arm and barely no-one even flinches. That's one HECK OF A CHANGE!!! You need a TPM? "Waahhhhhhhhhh!" It's VERY early days for Windows 11. Things can change.

Plus... it's initially free. "Waahh my FREE product doesn't do x or y!"

See what I'm getting at?

Thanks

Nope. Not at all. It just gets a bit silly reading pages and pages and PAGES of TPM rubbish. So many people complained about Windows 10. They now have it. SO many people will complain about Windows 11. Then they'll eventually install it. I DID get the angst against Windows 8, but not 11. Or 10.
    It maybe rubbish and silly to you but for others it's both informative and interesting, i assume. Honestly i find people with your attitude, that of trying to dismiss people's opinion simply because you don't share them or simply don't understand them to be quiet objectionable. Sure you may find it "a bit silly reading pages and pages and PAGES of TPM rubbish" but nobody is forcing you to read those posts or even suggesting, like you're doing, that you should or shouldn't read them.

I mean bully for you that you don't get 'angst' against installing W10 or W11, good for you, however making posts that are essentially moaning about people expressing their often justified issues is, IMO, nothing more than trolling as you're trying to be deliberately offensive or provocative.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus prime B650M-A II
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB @ 4.8 Gt/s (don't want to wait for memory training)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5+ 2TB (boot), Crucial P5 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Dual 4070 w/ shroud mod
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Gigabit symmetrical

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    Hate to tell you it needs tpm 2.0 you can get around this by copying the Install.wim or install.esd into a usb windwos 10 iso stick, however every single update etc you'll be doing it again.
    I'm going to wait for actual release before seeing what the final strict requirements are - MS have said 1.2 and 2.0 in quick succession, so we might see further change before release

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

The lack of clear messaging is the problem. As much as I like Microsoft, changing the Win 11 support documents and not having a clear statement as to which version of TPM is required is really not acceptable.

TPM 1.2 would be fine, though my old Haswell build doesn't directly support that as Intel didn't add TPM support to K series chips until (I think) Skylake. My Z87 board has a TPM header but the pinout is different to TPM 2.0.

If they make it TPM 2.0 though, that's not going to go down well. It puts my less than 3 year old Surface Go purchased at launched unsupported. Any my 2015 OG HP Spectre x360 will also definitely not support Win 11, though it might not anyway as it shows zero TPM support and the BIOS doesn't let me change anything related to TPM.

Guess we'll have to wait for Microsoft to get it's house in order and actually make this clear, rather than deal with the cluster that currently happening with add-in TPM chips being scalped.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

So this is a bit weird, having just had tried the checker, before it even moaned about lack of TPM it flatly said CPU not compatible.

So even if yo got an older CPU and the mobo does have secure boot and a TPM installed on it, it may not be enough.

The supported CPU list for Intel is linked below:

Intel CPU List

The list for AMD CPUs is a strange one as 1st Gen Ryzen and 1st Gen Threadripper are not on the list!?!?!

AMD CPU List

Thanks

Nope. I did get why people didn't appreciate the Windows 8 changes, despite STILL being able to run and get your task/job done the exact same way (ish). People just like to moan and then... install the stuff anyway.

How many people complained about Windows 10 and now use it each day? How many people will complain about Windows 11, but then install and use it anyway? I get the TPM issues. Nothing else.

How many people making comments have even tried Windows 11?
    Npbody has tried it. It's not available. Nor will I, personally, be messing up a working install of 10 on a Surface Pro, to try a beta. That's not the point.

If you think people could just move to 8 and "get your task/job done the exact same way", you either haven't read my posts, or haven't understood them. I had several pieces of hardware for which drivers that would run did not, and still do not exist. orse in many ways, my customer information system and relationship manager (among other things) was extensively adapted (by me) to fit my business like a handcrafted glove, and it wouldn't run, or even load, on W8. No later com0patible version of that software that would was available, and anything that would give the same capabilities would take weeks to develop, and more weeks to input a decade nd upwards of data.

So no, I most emphatically could not "STILL" do the same thungs at all, let alone the same way. And doing some of tehm at all, was ghoing to cost me thousands to replace hardware that was still working perfectly.

But, despite refusing point blank to install W8, and never did, the time came when some things needed a newe computer. Despite having spent a lot of time researching Linux, picking a suitable distro and transferring a lot of my siftware to Linux, such as ditching Word and Office that I had been using since Word was a DOS product, some things were besy suited by Windows because that's where the best products for my purposes were.

Only about a month ago, I spent another tidy sum investing in several new pieces of software, mainly for photographic work, only to find out about a week later that MS are replacing their "last ever version" of Windows with .... what? A "new version".

Just because you didn't have major problems with W8, doesn't mean others didn't, or that those now concerned about W11 (which it seems, AGAIN, is going to cause a lot of people compatibility problems, don't have valid concerns. If you don't, good for you. If you don't want to read pages and pages of other people's concerns, well, here's the great thing about forumsd .... reading given threads isn't compulsory.

But don't expect to get an easy ride if you go into a thread all about people;s VALID concerns with such a dismissive attitude. It will not go down well. And hasn't. Don't like it? So don't read it. There isn't an end-of-thread exam.

Also, I HAVEN'T said I won't run W11. I said that, it's early days and we have very incomplete information and that while i'm not liking some of the things I'm seeing, I will wait until we have an actual release before making up my mind.

However, if it turns out that the final release still has some of the issues we'reseeing with the preview, no, I won't be running it. Most of my needs now run under Linux, and the W1- systems, like this Surface Pro, if I still use it come W10's end-of-support will join my W7 systems behind an air-gap. Currently,the best way for me to do certain thuings is under Windows. What those machines don't need is net access. So while it will be less convenient, taking those machines off-net, and carrying on with W10, W7 and yes, even XP, and putting a Linux system online for a bit of browsing and email is a far easier task than transferring my few remaining (and those newly acquired packages) to yet another software platform just because MS misled us all. Again.

Some of us have good reason to not be happy with MS over W8, and even W10 does not solve all the problems W8 created. W11 is starting to shape up as history repeating itself. I may have eventually given in and put some things on a W10 machine but if it looks like causing me similar problems to W8, well MS, fool me once and shame on you, but fool me twice and shame on me. That ain't happening.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    So this is a bit weird, having just had tried the checker, before it even moaned about lack of TPM it flatly said CPU not compatible.

So even if yo got an older CPU and the mobo does have secure boot and a TPM installed on it, it may not be enough.

The supported CPU list for Intel is linked below:

Intel CPU List

The list for AMD CPUs is a strange one as 1st Gen Ryzen and 1st Gen Threadripper are not on the list!?!?!

AMD CPU List
    I'm not up on my enterprise features, but if there's not something obvious that's present in the supported chips then it might just be a case of 'support' and you might be able to run it them 'unsupported' or support might get added later once they've had enough people test it to pass QA.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

I find it kind of funny to read the whole discussion about which TPM revision a coming version of Windows might require and which combination of CPU and motherboard might satisfy this requirement when the actual question should be: Why does Windows *require* a TPM at all? TPM usage could be made optional. It is currently. Why not continue that way? It's not as if it's a necessary feature of a CPU, for instance.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    I find it kind of funny to read the whole discussion about which TPM revision a coming version of Windows might require and which combination of CPU and motherboard might satisfy this requirement when the actual question should be: Why does Windows *require* a TPM at all? TPM usage could be made optional. It is currently. Why not continue that way? It's not as if it's a necessary feature of a CPU, for instance.
    Perhaps we'll find out when they release more details. I'd guess it's about slightly improving the security of Windows, in particular user authentication. That suggests there will be more online connectivity and MS want to make sure that it's really you accessing your MS account and not someone else. Apple went that way a long time ago and MS caught some flack for being behind in that area. It could also be about helping prevent malicious software spoofing other softwares etc.

Aside from availability, I don't see many disadvantages from requiring it. But yeah, if availability is a problem then I'm sure it'll get watered down.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'm not up on my enterprise features, but if there's not something obvious that's present in the supported chips then it might just be a case of 'support' and you might be able to run it them 'unsupported' or support might get added later once they've had enough people test it to pass QA.
    That's the thing, the wife has a mobo with a TPM 2.0 module in it, secure boot enabled and the checker straight up said not able to install win 11 cause CPU is not compatible and she's on a Ryzen 1700X so got me checking the supported list.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Start menu in the center... I can wait.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

OK, sorry Im late to the party, but there have been a few trolling comments made, this needs to stop right now please folks, you all know the quinciquonces ...

No name calling, no trolling, no swearing. I thought you would have learned that by now.

In the meantime, looks like me is gonna need a new PC if I wanna run Win11, thanks Bill, thanks very much
    Cheers, David

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post

In the meantime, looks like me is gonna need a new PC if I wanna run Win11, thanks Bill, thanks very much
    I don't think Bill has anything to do with MS now apart from getting a check every month,

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information