Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,570
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    And Dr Lisa Su said that AMD Zen 4 and RDNA 3 remain on track for 2022.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,518
    Thanks
    3,732
    Thanked
    5,031 times in 3,886 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    C&G driven by sales of Ryzen and Radeon chips to systems makers and DIYers – with higher average selling prices (ASPs) than ever before
    Obviously helped by record price increases in their CPUs and GPUs?? So it tells me that even if production costs increased,etc the rate of retail price increases comfortably exceeded it. Expect even more price increases over time!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,574
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked
    219 times in 201 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Obviously helped by record price increases in their CPUs and GPUs?? So it tells me that even if production costs increased,etc the rate of retail price increases comfortably exceeded it. Expect even more price increases over time!
    Yes, but they aren't addressing the whole market.

    For GPUs they might reason that they have the consoles so developers will optimise for them. A bit complacent, but true.

    For CPUs? Letting Intel have all the Celeron / Pentium / i3 market because it is not profitable enough? A very dangerous bit of complacency.

    The last year was 'special' due wafer shortages, so it made sense to focus on getting the most out of each wafer.

    Long-term? Those budget options are very important.

    Designs and masks, etc. are fixed costs. So they really need volume even if that is at a lesser margin.

    Artificially only addressing the high margin part of the market to look to Wall Street is very dangerous thinking.

  4. Received thanks from:

    CAT-THE-FIFTH (28-07-2021)

  5. #4
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,384
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    401 times in 288 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Artificially only addressing the high margin part of the market to look to Wall Street is very dangerous thinking.
    AMD have been doing that for a while. They had a strategy in GPU a while back where they identified the three most profitable areas and developed for those, leaving the halo products to Nvidia as they just weren't worth the R&D. It makes a lot of sense given their rapid expansion to target those immensely profitable areas first and then expand. Rather than trying to spread themselves thinly. Profitability breeds investment which gives the ability to spread out, but you have to maximise the potential of your smaller company before you can expand to compete.

  6. Received thanks from:

    dannyboy75 (28-07-2021)

  7. #5
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    30,699
    Thanks
    1,768
    Thanked
    3,270 times in 2,633 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Artificially only addressing the high margin part of the market to look to Wall Street is very dangerous thinking.
    Ah, yes, all those semi-custom chips for games consoles are famed for their margin

  8. #6
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,518
    Thanks
    3,732
    Thanked
    5,031 times in 3,886 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Yes, but they aren't addressing the whole market.

    For GPUs they might reason that they have the consoles so developers will optimise for them. A bit complacent, but true.

    For CPUs? Letting Intel have all the Celeron / Pentium / i3 market because it is not profitable enough? A very dangerous bit of complacency.

    The last year was 'special' due wafer shortages, so it made sense to focus on getting the most out of each wafer.

    Long-term? Those budget options are very important.

    Designs and masks, etc. are fixed costs. So they really need volume even if that is at a lesser margin.

    Artificially only addressing the high margin part of the market to look to Wall Street is very dangerous thinking.
    They did the same during the Athlon 64 era to a lesser degree,so Intel kind of had a foothold in the market. Remember how they had socket 754,socket 939 and QuadFX??


    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Ah, yes, all those semi-custom chips for games consoles are famed for their margin
    That is the thing though,to compensate for that they jacked up the pricing for consumer DIY parts. Another company did that for years too....Intel who were quite happy to give away billions of USD of Atom chips away,whilst tierising and charging for every feature on desktop/laptop platforms.

  9. #7
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,232
    Thanks
    699
    Thanked
    1,368 times in 1,164 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    They did the same during the Athlon 64 era to a lesser degree,so Intel kind of had a foothold in the market. Remember how they had socket 754,socket 939 and QuadFX??
    I don't remember anything like this though, before I could always buy a Duron/Sempron CPU be-it on a 754 or AM2 motherboard. Right now? The idea of Athlon 3000g at scalper prices is bizarre, but there are only a few out there on the market at around three times their list price. Then if you do manage to find an Athlon, you can't put it in a 500 series motherboard as that isn't supported. If you get a 400 series motherboard, you might have to find a way to downgrade the BIOS to an old version as older APUs are no longer on the supported processor list. It's like AMD are trying to erase the parts.

    It's a real shame, there are some really cheap A320 motherboards around now which would make a neat and cheap entry level system on par with what the old AM1 systems cost but way more usable.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    1,188
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    27 times in 25 posts

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    The Tesla partnership is only the beginning. Most of the big ten car manufacturers will go for AMD in their next versions of infotainment systems because of current AMD's excellent efficiency and less cost.

  11. #9
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,384
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    401 times in 288 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    The Tesla partnership is only the beginning. Most of the big ten car manufacturers will go for AMD in their next versions of infotainment systems because of current AMD's excellent efficiency and less cost.
    I can only hope they make exploding infotainment systems. Worse than mobile phones. Grrrrr. If you're fiddling with it and the car is weeblewobbling, it should take your fingers off.

    You sound very confident. There are many other thing that factor into such a decision and usually the things that sway the decision are totally unexpected and seemingly irrelevant.

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    190
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    10 times in 8 posts

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Imagine how big their results are going to be if AMD's partnership with Samsung takes off.

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    1,574
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked
    219 times in 201 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I can only hope they make exploding infotainment systems. Worse than mobile phones. Grrrrr. If you're fiddling with it and the car is weeblewobbling, it should take your fingers off.

    You sound very confident. There are many other thing that factor into such a decision and usually the things that sway the decision are totally unexpected and seemingly irrelevant.
    Before or after safely bringing the car to a stop?

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ATLANTIS
    Posts
    1,188
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    27 times in 25 posts

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I can only hope they make exploding infotainment systems. Worse than mobile phones. Grrrrr. If you're fiddling with it and the car is weeblewobbling, it should take your fingers off.

    You sound very confident. There are many other thing that factor into such a decision and usually the things that sway the decision are totally unexpected and seemingly irrelevant.
    Before or after safely bringing the car to a stop?
    A vehicle with a good infotainment system has a higher market value than one without. After the seats the next thing a customer looks at the dashboard is the size and performance of the infotainment screen. The story of Dodge RAM back to success was a result of a good dashboard experience e.g size of the screen larger than competition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQfVd1Ph6xE

  15. #13
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,232
    Thanks
    699
    Thanked
    1,368 times in 1,164 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    A vehicle with a good infotainment system has a higher market value than one without. After the seats the next thing a customer looks at the dashboard is the size and performance of the infotainment screen. The story of Dodge RAM back to success was a result of a good dashboard experience e.g size of the screen larger than competition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQfVd1Ph6xE
    I prefer to turn the stereo off and listen to the V6

  16. #14
    Long member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,384
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked
    401 times in 288 posts
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    A vehicle with a good infotainment system has a higher market value than one without. After the seats the next thing a customer looks at the dashboard is the size and performance of the infotainment screen. The story of Dodge RAM back to success was a result of a good dashboard experience e.g size of the screen larger than competition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQfVd1Ph6xE
    The market value of these cars declines rapidly when the chimp behind the wheel puts it into the scenery because they are poking and prodding. They are a menace and worse for being touchscreen as you have no point of reference for accurate positioning on the screen without looking.

    Whilst filtering through traffic I have more problems with idiots prodding at these things than idiots on mobile phones.

  17. #15
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,518
    Thanks
    3,732
    Thanked
    5,031 times in 3,886 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I don't remember anything like this though, before I could always buy a Duron/Sempron CPU be-it on a 754 or AM2 motherboard. Right now? The idea of Athlon 3000g at scalper prices is bizarre, but there are only a few out there on the market at around three times their list price. Then if you do manage to find an Athlon, you can't put it in a 500 series motherboard as that isn't supported. If you get a 400 series motherboard, you might have to find a way to downgrade the BIOS to an old version as older APUs are no longer on the supported processor list. It's like AMD are trying to erase the parts.

    It's a real shame, there are some really cheap A320 motherboards around now which would make a neat and cheap entry level system on par with what the old AM1 systems cost but way more usable.
    AMD went from one platform,and longterm supported platforms,to literally 3 separate consumer platforms in a few years. Both socket 754 and QuadFX were relatively short lived,and AMD did exactly what Intel did,ie,lock tiers behind different platforms. So all they did is tier stuff even more to make money. There was nothing stopping AMD having a unified Athlon 64 platform at all. They did it make as much margins as possible,forcing you to pay more if you wanted dual channel RAM. Remember,socket 754 was the successor to socket 462. Socket 939 was another new tier above,and QuadFX another one above that.

  18. #16
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,232
    Thanks
    699
    Thanked
    1,368 times in 1,164 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD revenue grows 99 per cent YoY driven by strong demand

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    AMD went from one platform,and longterm supported platforms,to literally 3 separate consumer platforms in a few years. Both socket 754 and QuadFX were relatively short lived,and AMD did exactly what Intel did,ie,lock tiers behind different platforms. So all they did is tier stuff even more to make money. There was nothing stopping AMD having a unified Athlon 64 platform at all. They did it make as much margins as possible,forcing you to pay more if you wanted dual channel RAM. Remember,socket 754 was the successor to socket 462. Socket 939 was another new tier above,and QuadFX another one above that.
    I never even heard of anyone owning a QuadFX machine. If they ever made a penny on it I would be surprised, and I've met plenty who own Threadripper. I'm guessing it came out of the advertising budget.

    I think Socket 754 was a mistake. Perhaps in the early days it was necessary to get some traction, but dropping it and unifying everything under AM2 feels to me like an admission from AMD that they got 754 wrong.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •