Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 17 to 32 of 37

Thread: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

  1. #17
    Senior Member Macman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,530
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    97 times in 80 posts
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Legit subscription packs are silly, worked out what my cost would be per year.

    Rangers TV = £60 p/yr
    Sky (HD content) = £828 p/yr + £20 One Time Fee
    - Sky Sports - Complete Pack
    - BT Sport
    La Liga TV = £69 p/yr
    NFL Gamepass = £148 p/yr

    Looking at over a grand, no thanks. I'll stick to using google thank you very much.

  2. #18
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    778
    Thanked
    1,567 times in 1,324 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Legit subscription packs are silly, worked out what my cost would be per year.

    Rangers TV = £60 p/yr
    Sky (HD content) = £828 p/yr + £20 One Time Fee
    - Sky Sports - Complete Pack
    - BT Sport
    La Liga TV = £69 p/yr
    NFL Gamepass = £148 p/yr

    Looking at over a grand, no thanks. I'll stick to using google thank you very much.
    Don't forget the games on Amazon Prime...

  3. #19
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    I didn't realise that if you subscribed to the football packages you were forced to subscribe to all of them at once. Even the NFL.

  4. #20
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,460
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked
    1,648 times in 1,309 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Legit subscription packs are silly, worked out what my cost would be per year.

    Rangers TV = £60 p/yr
    Sky (HD content) = £828 p/yr + £20 One Time Fee
    - Sky Sports - Complete Pack
    - BT Sport
    La Liga TV = £69 p/yr
    NFL Gamepass = £148 p/yr

    Looking at over a grand, no thanks. I'll stick to using google thank you very much.
    And, on top of that, even having paid all of that money, you still can't watch all of the games.

    3pm kick-offs can't be shown, so literally the only option to see it on TV is piracy. The utter joke of all this moaning, clampdowns etc, is that you can spend £100 per month and still not be able to watch all of your team's matches. Or, you can spend less than that for a year's access to everything.

    And of course, you can then do a shocked face that people picked the second option.

  5. #21
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,508
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    320 times in 255 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Or, you can spend less than that for a year's access to everything.
    *nothing personally intended here*

    Or, and I know this is controversial...you could just not watch it.

    I know.

    I never buy the "it's not available to watch legally so i'll just pirate it" argument, it doesn't justify the behaviour any more than the "I can't afford it so i'll just steal it" argument.

    Piracy has become so normalised in our society, it's really sad.

  6. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    16 times in 14 posts

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Well at the end of the day as football is concerned you could always go and watch the match live, Travel , ticket , maybe a burger and drink then looking at £100 or more all in , bloody joke. Money has ruined sport as in most things. Some players £300 + grand a week , it's madness. Earlier comment from Cheesemp about F1 , at least those guys are actually risking their lives every minute so maybe their wages are kinda justifed but I gave up with watching it as down the years it's become boring , true driving skill remains in Rallycross. I wish I was a Pro footballer these days , could afford Sky and BT then , no worries. lol.

  7. #23
    Senior Member Macman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,530
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked
    97 times in 80 posts
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    it doesn't justify the behaviour any more than the "I can't afford it so i'll just steal it"
    Wouldn't say steal it, I don't pay for the likes of Sky Sports because its not worth it. If It was reasonably priced and not tied down to a long contract then I think more people would pay for it, I know I would. But due to the ever rising player salaries and transfer deals this will reflect in the Broadcasting/TV rights, where we get shafted on cost of sport packages.

  8. #24
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,508
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    320 times in 255 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    ^^ that was a poor choice of words on my part; whilst I equate piracy to stealing it's obviously not in law and is closer to fraud (and is actually neither ), but either way the point is the same.

    I don't dispute that sports fans get "shafted" on the pricing, but it's not a justification for piracy & funding these criminals.

  9. #25
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,033
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked
    3,376 times in 2,713 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    But due to the ever rising player salaries and transfer deals this will reflect in the Broadcasting/TV rights, where we get shafted on cost of sport packages.
    Wasn't it the money raised from said TV rights that caused the increase in salaries/deals in the first place?

  10. #26
    jim
    jim is offline
    HEXUS.clueless jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    11,460
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked
    1,648 times in 1,309 posts
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    *nothing personally intended here*

    Or, and I know this is controversial...you could just not watch it.

    I know.

    I never buy the "it's not available to watch legally so i'll just pirate it" argument, it doesn't justify the behaviour any more than the "I can't afford it so i'll just steal it" argument.

    Piracy has become so normalised in our society, it's really sad.
    My point was really that nobody should be surprised, not that I defend piracy, but I actually disagree with your point.

    We're not talking about a new music album, or a film in the cinema, or a TV show.

    We are talking about the national sport, which has been a major part of some people's lives for generations. In my case, both my father and my grandfather supported the same team that I do. As do my extended family. There are entire towns and cities where it's an ingrained part of the culture. Even if you wanted to physically go to the matches, you can't, because there aren't anywhere near enough seats. And the cost of that is easily into 5 figures for some teams if you're including travel. The idea that you wake up one day and say "Well, I'll just have to cut myself off from that part of my life and tell my family, friends and co-workers that I haven't seen the game".

    The government clearly recognises this to a degree, because they legally force certain football matches to be shown for free.

    I know this is a tech forum, so I'll likely be shouted into oblivion by people who have no interest in football, but I just fundamentally disagree. It's part of our culture, and saying "Just don't watch it" is frankly not realistic. In this age of technology, we really shouldn't be in this position at all - it's perfectly achievable for each competition to stream its matches for a small amount of money, but unfortunately so much money has been ploughed into the game that any notion of fairness has been erased.

    I do think that the way football is paywalled in this country is absolutely immoral and unethical. I don't promote piracy as the solution. But I have no intention of standing up for Sky and the like, trying to defend the notion that people on minimum wage should be compelled to spend £100 per month to watch their team play, purely so that ever increasing amounts of money can be shovelled towards players and owners. No, I'll happily die on this hill.

  11. Received thanks from:

    Spud1 (17-08-2021),wazzickle (18-08-2021)

  12. #27
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,508
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    320 times in 255 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    I think we actually agree in general - the pricing is crazy high, it should be more accessible, but it isn't. Piracy isn't the answer, and I actually think that charging directly for watching sport remotely should not be a "thing" at all - particularly given the amount of advertising revenue the providers take from it...unless significant added value can be gained, which in most cases it cant.

    I think you can compare directly to music too - many people have just as much emotional & generational investment in music or other things as they do football - but I totally get it and I know many people who's entire life is football.

    I can't see an easy solution but equally don't want to mix that debate up with what FACT are doing here, which is fundamentally a good and positive thing. The law is there law here and whilst they should always be some flexibility in the law for special circumstances , I don't think not being able to watch football fits.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    9 times in 8 posts

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Whilst I understand the point (and I agree the prices & money involved are crazy high) its mostly irrelevant I would wager that the vast majority of the people who invest in this sort of setup would do so regardless of the cost of a sports subscription. You only have to look at movies to see that - netflex et al are relatively cheap (stupidly so for the content they offer) yet piracy is rife there even within a low cost subscription (the sheer number of people geo-swapping etc...yep thats all piracy too).

    Good that they are finally taking some action tbh. Piracy is rife and only serves to push up prices for everyone else who pays for their content.
    It's geoswapping actually piracy? A contract of sale is agreed and money exchanged. It may be closer to fraud, but I don't think it's illegal.

  14. #29
    Theoretical Element Spud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    7,508
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    320 times in 255 posts
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    It's geoswapping actually piracy? A contract of sale is agreed and money exchanged. It may be closer to fraud, but I don't think it's illegal.
    Depends on how you define it -legally I guess it is closer to fraud, since you [not necessarily you personally!] have not paid for access to that content, and have deliberately subverted the providers systems in order to access that content....

    So yes I would class it as copyright infringement (piracy in this context!) all the same.

    E2A....I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is it generally only matters if the rights holders decided to come after you. You'd be breaking the TOS for your provider (e.g. netflix), but all they can do is cut off your account without refund I think...then the people who own the rights to the material viewed could in theory come after you for damages etc.

    Not likely to happen, not that it changes the morality or legality

  15. #30
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    31,033
    Thanks
    1,871
    Thanked
    3,376 times in 2,713 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    It's geoswapping actually piracy? A contract of sale is agreed and money exchanged. It may be closer to fraud, but I don't think it's illegal.
    It's unlawful (to breach contract) rather than illegal.

  16. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    278
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    28 times in 19 posts

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    *nothing personally intended here*

    Or, and I know this is controversial...you could just not watch it.

    I know.

    I never buy the "it's not available to watch legally so i'll just pirate it" argument, it doesn't justify the behaviour any more than the "I can't afford it so i'll just steal it" argument.

    Piracy has become so normalised in our society, it's really sad.
    What's even more sad, is that the providers don't pay the same tax as other commercial entities in the respective countries. With the exception of BT here in the UK.
    They are economic vampires.

  17. #32
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Thanks
    994
    Thanked
    451 times in 316 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

    Re: UK football season sparks illegal IPTV crackdown by FACT

    I'm no fan of any sport, but I'd say that at the very least the 3pm blackout rule should be scrapped and consigned to history.

    I highly doubt it has any real impact on whether people will travel to watch it in person these days, so instead should be a choice that fans make just like with any other type of public performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •