Thread: Acer XR383CUR, 38-inch, 1600p, 2300R gaming monitor spotted

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Acer XR383CUR, 38-inch, 1600p, 2300R gaming monitor spotted

Appears to be an update to the Predator X38P with faster refresh, better HDR, and more.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Acer XR383CUR, 38-inch, 1600p, 2300R gaming monitor spotted

This is nice and all but I'm really craving a bit more progress toward higher DPI in the desktop monitor space. As a developer who spends hours per day staring at code, I'd really love a monitor with this kind of awesome real-estate but with a 5-8K resolution for crisper text. High refresh rates don't really appeal to many people outside of the high performance gaming space. I've had my current 38" monitor (also 3840x1600) for 5-6 years but there's literally been *nothing* worth upgrading to.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Acer XR383CUR, 38-inch, 1600p, 2300R gaming monitor spotted

Quote Originally Posted by bitbucket View Post
    This is nice and all but I'm really craving a bit more progress toward higher DPI in the desktop monitor space. As a developer who spends hours per day staring at code, I'd really love a monitor with this kind of awesome real-estate but with a 5-8K resolution for crisper text. High refresh rates don't really appeal to many people outside of the high performance gaming space. I've had my current 38" monitor (also 3840x1600) for 5-6 years but there's literally been *nothing* worth upgrading to.
    I was quite derisive of 4K 27" monitors until I mentioned it and someone pointed out the difference it makes to text having such a high DPI. I didn't notice the difference until I got a secondary 24" 1080P monitor and honestly thought it was broken at first. I was seriously considering going back to 1440P but seeing my old one in use I realised that yeah... higher resolution makes an incredible difference to text and makes a difference to how tired your eyes are after a day staring at the thing.

As a result, I think I'm in the same boat as you if I want a big, big screen but I actually prefer several different monitors. I have a small touchscreen, a portrait widescreen 24" and the main 4K widescreen. What I do like about the 4K monitor is I can drop the resolution to 1080 for games and it divides into four neatly, avoiding needing to keep a powerful GPU at current prices. Honestly, I think if you buy a decent monitor, expecting it to last more than 5 years is quite reasonable. There's no point upgrading this one unless something with awesome HDR or OLED that doesn't burn comes into my price range.

Thread Information