Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Microsoft group campaigns against Windows Vista release

Thanks

Anti-Microsoft group campaigns against Windows Vista release

Wow. Now this is an interesting one. The Committee to Fight Microsoft (CTFM) wants to block Microsoft from launching Windows Vista unless it offers a warranty to purchasers assuring that there is no 'bad code' in the Operating System. Tom's Hardware reports:
    "Bill Gates sells the public defective products," says CTFM Executive Director Andy Martin, "And then expects us to spend years being his guinea pigs, while he corrects the myriad of defects and vulnerabilities in his defective code. This is mass consumer fraud."

The group did not provide many details beyond Martin's anger against Microsoft and said that it considers "launch legal action" against Microsoft. "Over four years after Windows XP was released I still receive regular 'updates' and 'bug fixes,' which reflect a product that was originally scandalously defective," Martin said.
    Of course, Linux doesn't require regular updates, does it? Oh wait, yes it does, as does any critical piece of software, be it an Operating System, Virus Scanner, Firewall, Office Application, whatever.

Now, we're not all expected to be huge fans of Microsoft, but you cannot deny that what they've done for computing and its adoption worldwide is fantastic, nor can you solely blame Microsoft for producing code that has bugs in it. This little 'venture' is bound to fall flat on its face.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    I totally agree - If every Os was perfect then why bother releasing new ones ?

Human error will alwasy be a factor , you can bugcheck till you are blue in the face, yet people will still find new ways of breaking things.

For me , the difference comes in how smoothly you can roll out any fixes, and the quality of those fixes.

this is where things like the new WSUS and in the OS world, RH Updater come into play.

the same with AV software - we know that new definitions are always out , the key for any application to survive life in the enterprise is how well those updates can be deployed.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    These guys are similar to the parents that buy games for their kids then complain about the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I think this sort of thing will show up the difference between developers/system admins/normal users.

From my point of view as a developer, yes there will be bugs, the question is how fundemental are the bugs to the running of the OS. If they system is only 80% usable without bugs, then i would argue the OS is not fit for purpose and legal action should be entitled.

If its 98% there, and the bugs are in small subsystems where few users will use the functionality then maybe thats less important.

I would like to see some standard guidelines to support delivery of software. A Industry best practise if you will. Self governed, but with some form of body to take steps in worst cases.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Mike Fishcake
    Can it be made law that everyone that types "Micro$oft" or "M$" gets a big hard slap in the face?

It's not big, it's certainly not clever and it's not funny any more.

So stop it.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    what a bunch of complete fruitcases.

send them all straight to the loony bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake
    Can it be made law that everyone that types "Micro$oft" or "M$" gets a big hard slap in the face?

It's not big, it's certainly not clever and it's not funny any more.

So stop it.
    agree 100%

see people? i'm not a crazed rabid linux monkey!

Thanks
    lol - we know that. I'm itching to find somethign to use a linux box for at work , but I think we only have one lonely SUSE box that dits between and RS600 and the NT envorinment.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    When I am really annoyed with MicroSoft (I.E. system crash) i will say M$ (people know that this is coss they just pissed me off)

But its the same as Esso (E$$o) its turning it into l4m3r speak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

Thanks
    M$ is just easy and most people know what it means.

As for this plan to stop Vista, its not going to happen and although there will be problems when its released (I'm sure) they will be fixed and we will be happy. Theres no way you can relate the M$ OS to any other kind of consumer market/product as its too different - its essentially its own type of consumer market where we the consumers accept the flaws and look forward (probably) to the updates.

Thanks
    It's a shame these people have nothing better to do. If anyone's watched any of the MSDN Channel 9 videos about Longhorn/Vista, you'll know how dedicated the developers are to the product and how much they want to get it right. People like this Andy Martin clearly don't realise how many millions of lines of code, and millions of man-hours, go into something like Windows.

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by theuncharmed
    M$ is just easy and most people know what it means.
    So duz txt spk but that dunt make it less annoyin 2 ppl duz it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake
    So duz txt spk but that dunt make it less annoyin 2 ppl duz it?
    I'm sorry if by using M$ instead of Microsoft I have inadvertantly changed the course of the Enlgish language, how dare I. Actually if you look at the new English Dictionary - I've changed it already!

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by seanblee
    It's a shame these people have nothing better to do. If anyone's watched any of the MSDN Channel 9 videos about Longhorn/Vista, you'll know how dedicated the developers are to the product and how much they want to get it right. People like this Andy Martin clearly don't realise how many millions of lines of code, and millions of man-hours, go into something like Windows.
    actually, funny thing, what IS in vista now?

from the original list of enhancements:
    WinFS, gone.
    Avalon, gone.
    Monad, gone.
    Indigo (a creamy, blueberry-filled core of pure DRM hatred) is still in

some new skins? anything else? It seems a LOT is missing, considering the 5 years between XP and vista's eventual release

Thanks
    Avalon and Indigo are both still in Vista - Avalon is now called Windows Presentation Framework IIRC, and Indigo is Windows Communications Framework or something. WinFS is in Server Codename Longhorn, and the desktop version should be out at the same time that's released. I've not heard of Monad though?

Thanks
    Ah, got it, MSH. It was always a bit touch and go about whether that would be in or not, I don't think it's going to be a make-or-break feature though. The one I was really disappointed about was WinFS, there's no way that should have been cut IMO. Kinda makes a mockery of their '3 Pillars of Longhorn' strategy from last year.

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by theuncharmed
    I'm sorry if by using M$ instead of Microsoft I have inadvertantly changed the course of the Enlgish language, how dare I. Actually if you look at the new English Dictionary - I've changed it already!

Anything can be justified. Doesn't mean it's not annoying. This conversation could go round in circles, reaching no conclusion.

(Sorry, conclu$ion)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information