• Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    great news I don't actaully own a DS yet but hopefully by the time they come out i will have the cash, quality

<fanboy mode>
    ps technically Mario didn't appear as mario until Donkey Kong Junior - before that he was actaully just 'jumpman' and mario was just a nickname (although this was later changed in subsequent versions of DK)
    </fanboy mode>
    Last edited by Spud1; 14-12-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks
    If the DS had adult orientated games it migth be worth considering buying.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    And what do you class as adult orientated games?

GTA 3D version XXX, fifa XXXX, tekken XXXX?

Sure it doesnt have (many) of those (thank god) but it has plenty of great games at the moment - its the same with any nintendo console, you have to get past the 'kiddie' graphics.

Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Sonic Rush, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Bomberman DS, Mario 64 DS....just a few of the best games on the console. Granted all except NFS with 'cartoonish graphics' but still great games perfectly suitable for adults. Kids would stuggle with advance wars past the early few levels (there's alot of strategy to be had in it, well in the GBA versions there was don't own a DS yet so can't really comment on the DS version)

Once again the DS is a games machine by nintendo - and therefore it plays games well, for both adults and children even if it has a percieved image as being a kids console. As opposed to its rival, the Sony PSP which is instantly 'cooler' as its black and made by sony, aswell as chock full of crappy games to go along side it's few good ones.

Bah i'm biased anyway but people trashing nintendo for not having 'adult orientated games' just annoys me

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven W
    If the DS had adult orientated games it migth be worth considering buying.
    Oh dear.

That is exactly the attitude that gives us, as Spud says, an endless flow of Super Triple X Tony Hawks FIFA Skate Machine Gun games. These are not adult games,and crucialy, these are mostly not good games.

How can that statement be true? Something like 'If the DS had more quality games' would be valid comment. Why is an 'adult orientated' game any better than a cartoonish game?

All games are judged on how good they are, not on how many Xs you can put in the title.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    That's what I was trying to say, only you put it much much better

Banned
    Thanks
    Its a nonsense statment anyway. A good selection of the finest games on any system from any time are cartoonish games. Zelda: Link to the Past for instance - quailty from start to finsh and very much not an adult orientated game.

Image is nothing. Anyone who buys a console to be 'cool' clearly has a very perverse idea of what 'cool' actually is.

I buy games based on how good they are. Crazy I know. I have no in-built loyalty to any company; I've owned Nintendo, SEGA, Sony and Microsoft machines, and I've enjoyed games on every system; but the idea that I'd buy a poor Sony game over a good Nintendo game because the Sony machine is considered cooler is, frankly, madness.

Having said that, the PSP is a fine machine with some great games and *that* is the reason to get one, not because its going to make you l33t.

50 adult orientated games could be released tomorrow for the Nintendo DS; and if none of them were any good, there would be no more reason to buy the system than there is today.
    Last edited by Stewart; 14-12-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    lol

I wouldn't buy it full stop as it has no game that I would be interested in playing. Nintendo DS is aimed at the younger market.

I loved Mario games when I was 15 and I don't now. I've grown up with those type of games and no longer want to play them. There are a few games that are half-decent but not enough variety to warrant rushing out to buy one

If you want to sit around playing Donkey Kong that's great.

PSP is adult orientated, Nintendo DS is for the youth. It's not the fact that it's cool or uncool, I'd only play it in the house anyway. It's the fact that all the games are games that my nephews would enjoy, not me.

P.S Pokeman sucks!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven W
    lol

I wouldn't buy it full stop as it has no game that I would be interested in playing. Nintendo DS is aimed at the younger market.
    Well, if its got no games you want to play, then don't buy it, like you say. Don't write it off because you see the games as 'kiddie' though. As I say, a good chunk of the best games ever have been cartoony, and you'd miss out a lot if you only let yourself play really mature titles, like BMX XXX Tony Hawks Wrestling Shootout 19.

I loved Mario games when I was 15 and I don't now. I've grown up with those type of games and no longer want to play them. There are a few games that are half-decent but not enough variety to warrant rushing out to buy one
    I agree (on the DS not having enough quailty games to go and buy one), as for you growing out of the Mario games... well, I'm a gamer, I enjoy playing quailty, fun games. The Mario games are exactly that, therefore I do.

Just out of interest, how old are you?

PSP is adult orientated, Nintendo DS is for the youth. It's not the fact that it's cool or uncool, I'd only play it in the house anyway. It's the fact that all the games are games that my nephews would enjoy, not me.
    You are still utterly missing the point though. You seem to have convinced yourself that a cartoony game, regardless of how good a game is, is for younger players. As I've said, there are many games that are cartoony that are simply amazing games, that anyone who played them would enjoy. I think if you approach games on the quality and enjoyment factor they can provide, and not on if you are too mature to play them, you'd see what Nintendo is all about.

Having said that, if you just don't enjoy kiddie games, then fair enough. Don't be so quick to dismiss them though.

P.S Pokeman sucks!
    It does, yes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    like BMX XXX Tony Hawks Wrestling Shootout 19
    Skating games, BMX and wrestling? They are for kids too. My personal preference is army/war games, although X111(cartoon style) was one of my favourite games. Having said that I own a diverse range of games, including the Harry Potter Games. I have a GBA with Rayman Advanced being one of the games.

I enjoy playing quailty, fun games. The Mario games are exactly that, therefore I do.
    Don't get me wrong, Mario games were great and I'm sure they still are for some, but I've just grown out of them. If there are 40yr olds out there still playing them then that's great. I would play Mario games if I was given them for free but I certainly wouldn't pay for one anymore. There are games out there now that suit the way my brain has changed and adapted over the years. Mario Party XXXX does not appeal to me in any way.

Same as pop music, I used to like Bros but my music tastes have matured and changed over time and now I wouldn't pick up a Girls Aloud (although I'd give Cheryl one)track. Not because I'm being old and fuddy duddy, just because my tastes have changed.

It may be that sometimes I pick up an old copy of Rick Astley's Greatest Hits and listen to it once a year, in the same way that I would still play an old Mario game. I still enjoy them for that moment, as a brief interlude between the games that appeal to me, but I wouldn't now play them for any long period of time cos they don't do it for me.

If any game appealed to me I would get it, whether it be cartoony or not. It just happens that the Nintendo DS has very few games that would warrant me buying it.

Perhaps what I should have said is ' I'd pick up a Nintendo DS if they had games that suited my taste'

Just out of interest, how old are you?
    31 and a half

Banned
    Thanks
    You used to like Bros?

Well, in that case, I've got nothing else to say in this thread.

Apart from - Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Autoerotic Asphyxiation and the other spin-offs aren't really what I'm on about. Really, its the classics that I'm still interested in playing. The next Mario platformer, the next in the Zelda series.

The spin-offs have little to do with Mario really, apart from a few of the characters from the Mario universe thrown in. Super Mario Kart excused of course, as its one of the best.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    You used to like Bros?

Damn I knew that would come back to haunt me, perhaps I should edit that to something more manly

"Taxi"

Banned
    Thanks
    My sister is 31 as well, when she was a teenager and I a young kid, she'd play that song 'When will I, will I be famous...', it was utter mush, and she'd play it over and over.

So now I really can't be having even a mention of those nob heads.

Off topic? I think so.

*Stops*

Thanks
    my brother had the Bros logo spraypainted on his wall in a graffitti style

Thread Information