Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel don't know how to deal with AMD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    yes but if you only have £50?!
    Id go for the Sempron 64 3000+ myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    i dont think intel will be able to match anytthing amd bring out anytime soon, but intel will always be bigger
    to many people stick to the norm to move away from intel and most mobile amd chips suck
    dfi sli-dr | AMD64 3700+ san | 2 Gb kingston PC3200 | SLI XFX 6800GT | emu 1820m + ADAT 32 channel audio card | 600w modualar PSU | 300Gb maxtor maxline | 3 X 300 samsung spin point sata2 hdds | 70Gb raptor | akasa case | Zalman Reserator 1 Plus with two cpu blocks |
    ifyouknowme also know as HEXUS|Mrbeef

Thanks
    I have been running many machienes, from watercooled and phase change cooled P4's to watercooled dual xeon setups and A64's and now run a Centrino laptop.

I few years back i run some Athlon XP's and only had trouble with via chipsets and the like, then later trouble with nvidia chipsets and horrible multitasking perfomance and driver issues. My intel platforsm (I875p, I845 and I865) where all SOLID, one driver from one company and they simply run. No problems ever!

The Athlon 64 on the MSI board pissed me off, first the incompatibility of the darn Kingston HyperX (which i dumped later for Corsair), the none-useabilit of 64bits (this was obvious), the horrible VIA drivers where there is one bug after the other and the HEAT!

Granted the Prescott sucks and the Northwood was a much finer chip but everything comes from one hand on the intel platform unless you go cheap and buy some via chipset i guess. The dual xeon on the Asus PC-DL ran like a dream and NEVER gave me ANY problems. The Athlon MP's on the other hand gave me problems with the chipset and memory modules. Argh!

Now i run a 2GHz Centrino, 2x1GB DDR2-533, 2x80GIG SATA 5400rpm drives in Raid0, 6800Go etc... in the laptop on an intel platform and there ya go....NO PROBLEMS.

I think AMD is quite good but they need to work on the crappy chipsets, the intel platform is a much more stable choice. And about a month ago i was on the largest Industrial PC convention in europe where i did not see ONE AMD based platform but i saw tons of CoreDuos and old Intel chips because they run them even YEARS after they are not avaliable to the commercial market.

Stability counts for industrial PC's and i did not SEE ONE AMD based setup, which i contribute to the horrible chipset from other providers.

-TT

Thanks
    the nf chipset is brilliant boards like the dfi's and new asus ones are a huge improvement on most mobos

espeically for a64's
    dfi sli-dr | AMD64 3700+ san | 2 Gb kingston PC3200 | SLI XFX 6800GT | emu 1820m + ADAT 32 channel audio card | 600w modualar PSU | 300Gb maxtor maxline | 3 X 300 samsung spin point sata2 hdds | 70Gb raptor | akasa case | Zalman Reserator 1 Plus with two cpu blocks |
    ifyouknowme also know as HEXUS|Mrbeef

Thanks
    Couger,

I very much doubt the chip is to blame. I am curretnly involved in a roll out of new PC's to a large firm in the UK apart from teh CAD machines there are getting 2.8Ghz Celeron with 512Mb ram and these are not even teh D versiosn.

These are more than capable of running the office suite, Citrix app and other custom software. I know a number of companies who use a celeron box for a variety of tasks.

AMD did make chipsets at one time and they were good it was what I used when I had AMD, but I prefer my chipset and cpu to be from teh same manufacture due to the fact they should be enturely happy with each other, im not saying they are 100% of the time but I have yet to have a problem with the Intel platform.

I did look recenly look at moving over to AMD purely for the increased game performance, but atm there is no game on teh market that i play that stresses my PC. I will upgrade it but since its a AGP system it is a large cost involvd due to the swapping of all the major components. Plus with the new M2 system from AMD which I belive will not be a sucess as from what I have read it is not offering any more than the currentl 939 socket.

Nikumba
    They come from the dark and slice your head off

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line
    I've never had any problems with my 64sempron 2800+. It runs pretty much everything out at the moment (albeit with slightly less gfx, speed, etc.) and seems to be pretty stable even when overclocked.

Thanks
    Given that AMD have to be cheaper than intel mips for mips, they don't have the money to splash out on fabricaiton.
    Not true, Intel are just an enourmous company from years and years of dominating the PC industry. AMD are the small guys slowly growing. I had a meeting with an AMD industrial PC guy, and when we spoke about Intel, he said they have the money to just say - we need a new plant - *BOOM* - new plant. However they do have to prove profitability of investments to shareholders still.

AMD meanwhile do not have 20years of market dominance to bouy up 2-3 years of marketing errors. If it was a fair market Intel would be well under AMD by now, however it's about brand awareness, etc etc.

I disagree that AMD have worse chipsets. Since they went to onboard memory controllers (which they have done fairly succesfully), the Nvidia and Ati chipsets have been exceptionally good. I'v had no problems with mine.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    dislexia moment above, what i ment to say is AMD know they haven't got the infrastructure to outproduce intel.... but you all knew i ment that.
    please see above.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information