• Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Hmmm - don't you just hate poxy proxies.

netcell's now showing as unavailable for me as well now.

I'll email our contact at XFX and see if I can get any news.

Best Regards,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by probedb
    Just because a company ceases to exist does not mean their products magically stop working!
    Yup - That is why I said "take a chance". You might get years of happy service out of it... but you might not, and then you could end up with data you can't recover, on kit you can't get a replacement for.

BTW, can anyone else see *.netcell.com ?
    www.demon.net/external and dnsstuff.com both fail to resolve [www|forums].netcell.com

Scan have just replied to my query - Check Lee @ Scan above - Thanks Lee!
    Last edited by eberian; 20-06-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre
    Your still covered warranty wise, so i really don't see much of a problem whether they have gone tits up or not ... they are a good kit and especially now because of the price drop ..

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Update - Pete rang XFX and according to them it's still all systems go with the Revo cards

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull
    : SATA300 would be useless without PCIe, It's already on limited bandwidth.

But if a SATA 300, PCIe version appeared, i would buy it it on lauch day. as wouild many others I suspect.
    Sure, but there's no current hard disk that can even saturate the SATA/150 interface and they still make them in SATA/300...

And the XFX Revo cards not being available in PCIe from the outset....

Not to mention the Gigabyte RAM hard disk thing having only SATA/150...

The theme here being that common sense is an ironic concept, since it's apparently not that common in IT product companies

Quote Originally Posted by eberian
    This is a pity - I also liked the look of this card, and would have bought a number if decent linux support had appeared, but it looks like the end of the line for this product
    If the cards don't require a driver then how can they *not* be supported by linux? IIRC all the array config/management was done by the card's own BIOS so surely once that's got it's sh*t together at POST/boot time then once it hands over to the bootloader on the drive/array it's entirely transparent?

I'm not trying to pick holes in your post, just I'm now thinking about nabbing one of these quick and will want it to work on Linux. If someone knows my assumption to be incorrect please let me know before I part with any cash!
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    I've decided that I will be getting the 5 port version, does anyone recommend me waiting for a PCI-E version? or is the PCI version considerably better than onboard anyway?
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit
    If the cards don't require a driver then how can they *not* be supported by linux? IIRC all the array config/management was done by the card's own BIOS so surely once that's got it's sh*t together at POST/boot time then once it hands over to the bootloader on the drive/array it's entirely transparent?

I'm not trying to pick holes in your post, just I'm now thinking about nabbing one of these quick and will want it to work on Linux. If someone knows my assumption to be incorrect please let me know before I part with any cash!
    part of the "driverless" fallacy. they *are* driverless, as long as you patch the ide-generic.c driver to support them properly. that's the same thing, right?

and, as you suggest, part of the problem with "driverless" is lack of management - you need a proper interface to the card to manage it, and under linux that's usually a fully presented area in /sys or /proc

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    EDIT: should have realised there was a second page to this thread now. someone can delete this if they want.

Thanks

Hi 8Bit,
    Fair question - The card is driverless under linux, but (AFAIK) does not support SMART, and there were no raid management tools. To my understanding, that means you can't tell when drives are overheating or degrading, and you cannot rebuild the array online.

For me, that is a showstopper. You might be happy to reboot and rebuild through the BIOS, but how would you know that the array needed rebuilding until it was too late?

It is nice to hear from XFX (via Scan) that it is still "all systems go" with the Revo - so please can you tell us where the support is? (given that no-one can find netcell)

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/support/drivers.jspa
    ...does not seem to have any information about the Revo

Hmmm.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    part of the "driverless" fallacy. they *are* driverless, as long as you patch the ide-generic.c driver to support them properly. that's the same thing, right?
    OK I hold my hands up here - while on one hand the whole SATA-II/SATA300 thing does my head in (SATA/300 is NOT the same as SATA-II) I am guilty of mis-using the term "driverless" in this case. You are right, rather than being "driverless", the Revo cards are seen as a generic, bootable IDE device.

To that end and given that Windows has a compatible driver built in, I'd have imagined Linux to be able to boot transparently off the device just as well as Windows. What you're saying then, is that one *would* have to do some additional configuration to get a Linux distro to boot from a Revo64-hosted array, have I got that right?

Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    and, as you suggest, part of the problem with "driverless" is lack of management - you need a proper interface to the card to manage it, and under linux that's usually a fully presented area in /sys or /proc
    Again without wishing to appear picky, I don't believe I said this was a problem as such. You're right enough though, this isn't the usual way to do things in Linux but then this isn't a "usual" RAID controller. It's not aimed at the server market or it would cost a lot more (5-10x) and would come with a monitoring/config utility to run in the host machine's OS. It's an enthusiast and low-end workstation product so affordable performance and moderate fault-tolerance are the combined focus, not bulletproof redundancy.

Hi 8Bit,
    Fair question - The card is driverless under linux, but (AFAIK) does not support SMART, and there were no raid management tools. To my understanding, that means you can't tell when drives are overheating or degrading, and you cannot rebuild the array online.
    Maybe I've got something wrong here but neither of my SATA drives seem to present any SMART info back to the host. I'm using the integrated VIA 8297 (IIRC) on my motherboard and speedfan certainly doesn't see any SMART-capable drives. I'm pretty sure I've got that option switched on in my BIOS but I'll double check.

For me, that is a showstopper.
    Well you've said it yourself, this doesn't sound like it's the right card for you then

You might be happy to reboot and rebuild through the BIOS, but how would you know that the array needed rebuilding until it was too late?
    I'd imagine it would beep annoyingly. At least I'd hope so if it's not going to do anything else...
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Thanks
    To that end and given that Windows has a compatible driver built in, I'd have imagined Linux to be able to boot transparently off the device just as well as Windows. What you're saying then, is that one *would* have to do some additional configuration to get a Linux distro to boot from a Revo64-hosted array, have I got that right?
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4...4/index.x?pg=2

According to the above link, support was added in kernel 2.6.13. They say there are patches for Fedora 2 and Suse 9.1, but you would have to get them from the netcell site. Doh!

Again without wishing to appear picky, I don't believe I said this was a problem as such. You're right enough though, this isn't the usual way to do things in Linux but then this isn't a "usual" RAID controller. It's not aimed at the server market or it would cost a lot more (5-10x) and would come with a monitoring/config utility to run in the host machine's OS. It's an enthusiast and low-end workstation product so affordable performance and moderate fault-tolerance are the combined focus, not bulletproof redundancy.
    Sure, at £100+, you expect serious kit. At £45, you might be more tolerant. There is a windows configuration utility, it is the Linux side of things that I have been focused on, and that is lacking.

Maybe I've got something wrong here but neither of my SATA drives seem to present any SMART info back to the host. I'm using the integrated VIA 8297 (IIRC) on my motherboard and speedfan certainly doesn't see any SMART-capable drives. I'm pretty sure I've got that option switched on in my BIOS but I'll double check.
    Ah, my bad - I had inferred from your previous message that you were running linux, in which case I would suggest "hddtemp /dev/sda" or "smartctl -d ata /dev/sda". Don't know anything about speedfan on windows.

I'd imagine it would beep annoyingly. At least I'd hope so if it's not going to do anything else...
    Good plan - but it would need a buzzer for that, and I can't see any sign of one in any of the pictures or any mention of one in the manual.

Good Luck,
    Ed

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q4...4/index.x?pg=2

According to the above link, support was added in kernel 2.6.13. They say there are patches for Fedora 2 and Suse 9.1, but you would have to get them from the netcell site. Doh!
    Let's hope it's just a temporary site outage then!

Sure, at £100+, you expect serious kit. At £45, you might be more tolerant. There is a windows configuration utility, it is the Linux side of things that I have been focused on, and that is lacking.
    Aha, I hadn't realised there was a Windows utility for these cards, thought it was all just done in the card's BIOS. My bad!

Ah, my bad - I had inferred from your previous message that you were running linux, in which case I would suggest "hddtemp /dev/sda" or "smartctl -d ata /dev/sda". Don't know anything about speedfan on windows.
    I do sometimes, having gotten bored with Fedora I've been playing with Ubuntu lately (ever find that "Ubuntu" is deceptively hard to type correctly?), I'll fire it up and have a look. Thx for the tip!

Good plan - but it would need a buzzer for that, and I can't see any sign of one in any of the pictures or any mention of one in the manual.
    Well my assumption was based on my other incorrect assumption that there was no OS-based utility for any OS. In that case yes, cmon Netcell/XFX, bring on the Linux support pls kthxbye

Oh BTW eberian, just noticed you're new here. Welcome!

Thanks
    Since Netcell.com is gone, does anyone have the Firmware update util as XFX dont supply (referring you to Netcell) and I *need* to update the FW ??

Thanks
    DOH - manual says go to Netcell forit but its "hidden" on the CD

Thanks
    After reading the reviews (and recent mention in computer power user) I am really interested in a pcie version of this card, but with netcells webpage down and xfx not responding I am not too hopeful. Though I did see netcell say they have a pcie card ready they just need either xfx or pny to make retail ones, but that was months ago, so who knows.

Thanks
    xfx just responded to my question. They say they dont know of any pci-e cards that are "in the works"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information