Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: European & UK price and launch date for Wii

Thanks
    "Call of Duty 3... with advanced high-definition graphics"

Except that it won't be... cos the Wii is only standard def...

I too am a bit miffed by the price but only cos of our expectations being managed lower in the build up. As someone mentioned, it's still cheap compared to PC hardware.

Then again, with a controller and nunchuk costing an £43 for the combo, that will set me back an extra £129 for 3 extra sets or £310 for the whole setup!! Well the main point of having the Wii for me is to play with your friends & family... Damn they really make money on those controllers too...

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Agreed. Thats where the cost comes in for me, extra controllers required for essential multi player fun.

It would probably be cheaper had every man and his dog not declared their undying love for all things Wii and banged on about how they were going to get 3 on launch day

I'l have one after i have tried it out i think. Im liking the look of Mario, Zelda and Metroid

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    Initially Nintendo said it would be low priced - I don't consider £180 to be low. The games aren't any cheaper than the XBox 360 either, which is another drawback (excluding back catalogue). If only Nintendo had the bottle to lower the price to ~ £100 and they could have made some big sales. At the end of the day all consoles are sold at a loss - the real money is the licencing fees to the software companies and the slice of the game sales they take. Unfortunately, it's launch price is too close to the Xbox360 and I can see Microsoft dropping their price to compete (let's face it they have very deep pockets).

It seems they are really trying to sell it based on the novel controller, while it looks fun in theory I'm not totally sure it will lend itself to all games. Having said that Nintendo's from the SNES onwards have all been about playability - a crucial but sadly often overlooked factor in game design.

Additionally I can see M$ and Sony bringing out similar controllers which I think would be a major dent to sales.
    Nintendo have always made profit on their consoles.

and people from e3 who played both PS3 and Wii said that the Wii motion sensing and pointing was spot on, but the PS3 kinda lagged a bit comparatively.

Thanks
    • koocha's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Fujitsu D2778-c1
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon W3656
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Triple Channel DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 3 x 3TB mechanicals
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 500w Fujitsu
      • Case:
      • Fujitsu M470-2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" LG Smart 3D TV
      • Internet:
      • 76Mb BT Infinity 2
    for me the wii is the only true next gen console and I can't wait to get one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    Initially Nintendo said it would be low priced - I don't consider £180 to be low. The games aren't any cheaper than the XBox 360 either, which is another drawback (excluding back catalogue).
    Its a lot cheaper than its competitors. And the RRP of the games is £10 less than Xbox360 games, Xbox360 games are £49.99 Wii ones will be £39.99 normally buying online saves you £10 on these prices too.

Thanks
    Well I pre ordered mine yesterday from play. I decided to get the wii play game bundled with a remote too. I thought I might aswell pay 15 quid for a series of fun mini games. I picked up another nuchuck also.

Total cost for a wii, 2 remotes, 2 nunchucks and 2 games = £232

not bad. I cant wait.
    Gaming PC: Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4 Ghz Stock; Shuttle SN85G4V3; Club 3D X800XT; 2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2-3-2-5; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WD Raptor 150GB; Maxtor DM10 200Gb; Pioneer DVR 110

Media PC: Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz; Shuttle SN45GV2; Geforce 2 MX; 2x256Mb OCZ PC3500 CAS2; Seagate Bararcuda 160Gb; NEC DVD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information