Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reviews - NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN in SLI

Thanks

Re: Reviews - NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN in SLI

Quote Originally Posted by huaxshin View Post
    Horrible choice of games Hexus. Absolutely horrible.
    4/6 games are AMD games. You could atleast be better with picking equally AMD and Nvidia games, then picked out a few neutral games. Anandtech does that when he review GPUs.

Thankfully we have better Titan SLI reviews than this, because this game out pretty biased toward AMD.
    AMD has won a lot of the new big titles, however it's not like they are bribing the devs to hobble Nvidia in all of them. In Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, the Nvidia cards perform better than their average - the 7970 GHz is generally 15% faster than the 680 these days, but in these games the gap is only 3% and 7% respectively.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the inclusion of Dirt Showdown and Sleeping Dogs, the game choice would look quite biased towards Nvidia. It's a fine line - they could swap out Showdown for Assassins Creed 3 and suddenly the benchmark suite would look Nvidia biased, or add Borderlands 2 instead of Sleeping Dogs for the same result. It's been like that (Nvidia biased) here in the recent past and will be again.

Thanks

Dirt showdown, Sleeping dogs (lol that is 100% AMD game) and Black Ops 2 are AMD games. There is no point in denying that.

50% of your testbench is AMD biased.
    The GHz edition is only 11% ahead of the 680 in Black Ops 2...this is slightly below the 2560x1600 average for both cards. This game isn't AMD biased - only Showdown and Sleeping dogs are but the rest favour the Nvidia cards to certain smaller degrees.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    AMD has won a lot of the new big titles, however it's not like they are bribing the devs to hobble Nvidia in all of them. In Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, the Nvidia cards perform better than their average - the 7970 GHz is generally 15% faster than the 680 these days, but in these games the gap is only 3% and 7% respectively.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the inclusion of Dirt Showdown and Sleeping Dogs, the game choice would look quite biased towards Nvidia. It's a fine line - they could swap out Showdown for Assassins Creed 3 and suddenly the benchmark suite would look Nvidia biased, or add Borderlands 2 instead of Sleeping Dogs for the same result. It's been like that (Nvidia biased) here in the recent past and will be again.
    I hope Hexus does not include Crysis3,because that is AMD....! Wait a second??!!

I wonder if Tombraider,Bioshock Infinite will be included....??!! Wait a second??!!

Aliens: Colonial Marines?? No,no that won't work.

DmC Devil May Cry. Probably not.

Hitman Absolution.Oh wait..??

FarCry3 is fine though,thats AMD sponsered and the Nvidia cards are fine. Looks like he has no issue with that game. I wonder why??

So FarCry3 and Crysis3 are OK since Nvidia cards look OK in the games and AMD bundles them with their cards,but they are AMD BIASED!! Oh Noes!

Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-02-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

That's pretty much what it comes down to Cat. Simple fact is, AMD is spending a lot of effort and money on developer relationships and it's showing. Nvidia has either given up or is resting on their laurels. Aside from BL2 and AC3 they've had next to nothing in their pocket - however when you look at how far ahead they are in those games it's clear they are still happy to hobble the competition. I saw one review where the 680 was almost 80% faster than the GHz Edition in AC3.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Lets look at the Anandtech review of Geforce Titan and the games they used.

1.)DiRT: Showdown

AMD BIASED as it came with AMD cards!!

2.)Total War: Shogun 2

NVIDIA BIASED as it came with Nvidia cards!!

3.)Hitman: Absolution

4.)Sleeping Dogs

5.)Crysis: Warhead

AMD BIASED!!

6.)FarCry 3

7.)Battlefield 3

WAS NVIDIA BIASED BUT NOW AMD BIASED!!

MAYBE NEUTRAL!!

8.)Civilization V

WAS NVIDIA BIASED BUT NOW AMD BIASED!!

MAYBE NEUTRAL!!

I see a bias ratio of 5:1:2(AMD:NVIDIA:MAYBE NEUTRAL).

The Anandtech review favours AMD and should be ignored.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Dirt showdown, Sleeping dogs (lol that is 100% AMD game) and Black Ops 2 are AMD games. There is no point in denying that.

Please explain why they are AMD biased, technically. Dirt Showdown we've discussed, what about the others?

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

I think its hard to say this setup is biased to AMD just because the results show AMD in a favorable light, the games shown for ages now have been showing Nvidia in a pretty decent light and alot of them have had more than Nvidia 'optimizations', its fairly even and its just showing how AMD are at the top of their game with regards to optimizing software. Nvidia relied on locked down methods where as AMD is using open ones, nvidia can make use of these but choose not to and keep helping just themselves and used to (probably still do) get code added to games that purposely hinder AMD cards.

Im glad AMD is back so I can get back to recommending them to people, all their cards best Nvidias alternatives in gaming and gpgpu. This card is useless and considering you can buy a 7970 GHZ edition then next year sell it and upgrade to the 8000 series, continue like that for the next 3 years and spend less than this card yet have performance far greater!.

In regards to Crysis performance, can you guys try a longer scene (not 30seconds?) and not on the first level, I have been reading reports that the first level is terrible and that there is something wrong in the game as other levels are much better, worth a look maybe?.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

BTW,how long are the test runs used in the review??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post

Please explain why they are AMD biased, technically. Dirt Showdown we've discussed, what about the others?
    You`re not getting my point, at all. You do a lousy review, where you pit a Nvidia GPU against a AMD GPU where 50% of them are clearly AMD advantage. If you as a reviewer had any respect of what you do, you would have picked equally of both camps, throw in a few neutrals and see how much Titan would gain in the Nvidia games and how much it would eat in to the AMD games. Its not fair when most of your test bench is AMD based. PhysX games is one of Nvidia`s advantage. You have none here.

You test 6 games. I doubled checked your review with other sites got. Titan is leading against 7970 CF by 14% according to the games you tested. In reality its close to 32%. Titan is leading against 7970GHz single card by 50% in your test. In reality its 100% (200%). Techpowerup tested 17 games, they came to this conclusion.

That you even have a conclusion on your test, which was only 6 games, and where you didn`t even test any where Nvidia have any advantage but you put in games where AMD have an advantage, is unheard. You even go on and say "you have numbers, numbers don`t lie" yet they are based on a totally unfinished review.

I`m sorry, but to me this was very dissapointing review Hexus. Thats all I have to say about this, and I really hope you consider anything I said toward future reviews.

Thanks

Hardware PhysX is a closed standard, which Nvidia deliberately hobbles on CPU, and which refuses to run if there is an AMD card present in the system, whether or not you're actually running the game on it. For 'political' reasons, nothing to do with hardware capability, AMD cannot run GPU PhysX code. How's it fair to penalise one company for something they have no control over? The physics engine bit of PhysX runs fine on CPU, the GPU bit only really adds some particle effects, which other engines are capable of. The sooner an open standard is adopted, the better for consumers.

Some people confuse PhysX for game physics in general - PhysX is one of many engines available, but very few games use the GPU-accelerated portion of it.

Others have already essentially answered the other parts, so I'll end there to avoid looping.

Thanks

You`re not getting my point, at all. You do a lousy review, where you pit a Nvidia GPU against a AMD GPU where 50% of them are clearly AMD advantage. If you as a reviewer had any respect of what you do, you would have picked equally of both camps, throw in a few neutrals and see how much Titan would gain in the Nvidia games and how much it would eat in to the AMD games. Its not fair when most of your test bench is AMD based. PhysX games is one of Nvidia`s advantage. You have none here.

You test 6 games. I doubled checked your review with other sites got. Titan is leading against 7970 CF by 14% according to the games you tested. In reality its close to 32%. Titan is leading against 7970GHz single card by 50% in your test. In reality its 100% (200%). Techpowerup tested 17 games, they came to this conclusion.

That you even have a conclusion on your test, which was only 6 games, and where you didn`t even test any where Nvidia have any advantage but you put in games where AMD have an advantage, is unheard. You even go on and say "you have numbers, numbers don`t lie" yet they are based on a totally unfinished review.

I`m sorry, but to me this was very dissapointing review Hexus. Thats all I have to say about this, and I really hope you consider anything I said toward future reviews.
    Techpowerup also got the following result -

Overall they found titan sli to be 29% faster. How much do you think this one extremely flawed benchmark where the Titan's are 6 times faster accounted for percentage wise? Take out WoW and you'll be around the 15%-20% mark again.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

(snip)

Oh dear I think Rollo has come back with a vengeance!. Titan leading a 7970 by 100%? No mate, even using techpowerup that you mentioned as your source shows that at 25x16 the titan is only 26% faster and bang for buck the 7970 is 68% better value!.

Great troll, think Nvidia want you on their marketing department .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    (snip)

Oh dear I think Rollo has come back with a vengeance!. Titan leading a 7970 by 100%? No mate, even using techpowerup that you mentioned as your source shows that at 25x16 the titan is only 26% faster and bang for buck the 7970 is 68% better value!.

Great troll, think Nvidia want you on their marketing department .
    If you are gonna write down percentages, you better know what you are talking about. Understanding basic math would be a start.

At 1600p, Titan SLI exactly 2x (200%) faster than 7970GHz CF. A single Titan is beating 7970GHz by 35%.

Thanks

I`m sorry, I wrote wrong. SLI Titan is 2x (200%) faster than 7970GHz single card.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

If you are gonna write down percentages, you better know what you are talking about. Understanding basic math would be a start.

At 1600p, Titan SLI exactly 2x (200%) faster than 7970GHz CF. A single Titan is beating 7970GHz by 35%.
    If we're talking about basic maths, then let's check it.

This is the review you're talking about:

You wanted 1600p, which this is.

Titan SLI = 148%
    7970GHz CF = 115%

How is 148% exactly 2x 115%?

EDIT: I see you've retracted your earlier comment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    Techpowerup also got the following result -

Overall they found titan sli to be 29% faster. How much do you think this one extremely flawed benchmark where the Titan's are 6 times faster accounted for percentage wise? Take out WoW and you'll be around the 15%-20% mark again.
    You don`t understand how average is calculated. If one discard the WoW results and 3DMark, one Titan is 35% faster than one 7970GHz. If one include WoW and 3DMark, its 36.2%. Since its 18 games that is tested in total, that game won`t count as much. We have Wow which is 60% difference, we have the average which is 36% and we also have Sleeping Dogs which was around 12%. It all average out in the end.

If TPU did a review with only Batman, Assassin Creed 3 and Borderlands 2, people would have reacted too. That was my whole point of this review. Poor choice of games by Hexus which in total will tip the scale over to one side, in this case, AMD. It doesn`t show the complete picture

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information