• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Radeon RX Vega 56

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    Given the OC potential, I think I would have jumped on Vega 56 if it had been £350 on launch. As is though, I'll be stuck waiting for the Next Big Thing and hoping miners finally give up. The difficulty has increased massively. I don't see how it's viable in all but the cheapest / freest electricity areas.

Anyone got any ideas for a super overclockable great value GFX card for 1080p 100hz ish? Does such a thing exist?
    Not with the current mining craze. Maybe once the Vega56 hits and if it can be under £400,we might also see deals on the GTX1070 too.

Also 1080p 100HZ is not so easy to do in modern games,if you whack the settings up for more modern games although I have an old IB Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770:

http://forums.hexus.net/reader-revie...enchmarks.html

OTH,you have an overclocked CPU SKL though - I do probably need a faster CPU at some point. So with a newer CPU than mine and stupid settings turned down,I suspect a Vega56/GTX1070/GTX1080 would make it doable.

If it were at 1080p,60FPS,I would have recommended an RX470/RX570 at £160ish if it were not for the blasted miners. The RX470 I had access to overclocked really well with very few tweaks.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    OTH,you have an overclocked CPU SKL though - I do probably need a faster CPU at some point. So with a newer CPU than mine and stupid settings turned down,I suspect a Vega56/GTX1070/GTX1080 would make it doable.
    I was doing like 130hz in Doom Vulkan on an r9 390, so I think it's probably doable. Rx 580 might have been best for me if the prices were as they are supposed to be. As is, I'll wait and maybe spend more later in prep for 4k 100hz.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I was doing like 130hz in Doom Vulkan on an r9 390, so I think it's probably doable. Rx 580 might have been best for me if the prices were as they are supposed to be. As is, I'll wait and maybe spend more later in prep for 4k 100hz.
    Doom is relatively easy to run IMHO,but as you have seen in my tests,games like the Witcher3 and ROTR are very taxing once you ramp up settings.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Hmm,just saw these RX580 deals on HUKD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CQ5LRV
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-Ra...dp/B071Y7CKM2/

Not sure if I would "upgrade" from an R9 390 to an RX580 though,as the latter is not massively faster.

5. Received thanks from:

Millennium (17-08-2017)

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Ah,OK but what about the primitive shaders - it sounds a useful feature,so is it deactivated since it needs to have support in games,or it does not work reliably yet??...
    As far as I have seen primitive shaders are not active yet which is a MASSIVE performance change where AMD is concerned and recently an AMD engineer confirmed it will be applied on the driver level instead of a game to game basis so there is no need to manually go and support it.

Im optimistic about Vega because half the tech is still disabled, the fact the vega 56 is on par or faster than the 1070 is an excellent win as its cheaper too (atleast RRP). AMD has always been terrible with optimisation due to lack of funding to keep a fully housed drivers team so when people mention 'finewine' for AMD gpu performance its just due to their driver team clearing their backlog and catching up to what they wanted to achieve, the hardware is always solid but the software is behind. The fact that Vega has actually matched it out of the box when the software changes required for vega are huge is a big win, it may not look like it but Vega has the biggest opportunity to improve than any of the previous GCN cards so the current out of the box performance is solid and matches cards who have had over a year of optimisations (thus very few more will be made!).

I dont remember the last time AMD matched Nvidia for performance out of the box, it was always the 'slightly bit slower today but with the promise of better performance later', AMD did always deliver on the optimisations eventually but its a hard sell to the general consumer when they can buy that performance today. Thankfully this is actually a valid argument now as you can buy the same performance for less with a huge prospect of more performance.

HBCC should make an impact in games as well so im not sure why AMD disabled this, curious to see their reasoning and if someone can benchmark the differences it would be great! The other one is tile based rasterization is active but not in full mode its pretty limited at the moment so again once they switch this up it should bring more performance, its crazy how much has been left on the table this launch but I appreciate their driver team must be killing themselves over the amount of work to do this generation.

I was interested in the vega 56 as I have a 390 which I bought for £50 in cex after trading in my 7950 so it was meant to just be a stop gap till next gen cards but held on to it for awhile more. I want better performance in VR so this was tempting but I am kinda debating if I should just wait till Navi now as 1 more year wont really hurt me too much or just pick up Vega cheap next year! If i was to buy one this month it would be the 56 over the 1070 just because it is performing better with a small increase in power usage (which I wont notice over a few years as its miniscule).

Another interesting point was that AMD stated in their roadmap last year that Vega would only compete in the high end space, not the ultra high end (1080ti range) but Navi will next year, this is actually pretty good for AMD as they matched exactly what they said it would do while having a shed loads of performance left on the table by drivers (these combined could well put it in 1080ti territory but im speculating theory based gains), its baffles me how so far the internet is hating on Vega so much when AMD were honest last year about this performance gap way in advance! People just read into the 'poor volta' little swipe in a marketing video but thats far from an official statement! Not to mention it could well be true with the above optimisations... just not today!
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

7. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (16-08-2017),Corky34 (16-08-2017)

Thanks

It would be nice if AMD came clean and published a list of features they didn't have time to implement on launch or where improvement can be made.

Thanks

I have an idea...Intel should buy AMD's Radeon business, with all the money at intel's table R&D will be far ahead expectations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    Wonder what it would be alike when drivers is actually optimized though
    I wonder if tile-based rendering is working now or not...
    Me too. I'm a bit surprised there's no mention of it at all in the article (or I missed it). Tile-based rendering was supposedly the secret sauce that was responsible for much of the efficiency gains Nvidia made between Kepler and Maxwell and supposedly was coming out in Vega too.

When Vega Frontier came out the rumours were the drivers weren't ready, yet if that's the case and nothing's changed we should at least have had some reassurance from AMD it's still being worked on. Otherwise it's looking like the Vega architecture is simply not capable of it as previously rumoured which would be seriously worrying.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

AMD....bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!111!!1!11!!!!!

Thanks

Thats a hot topic!
    Never the less, i was waiting for vega for the upgrade, but i am not really pleased with the first benchmarks.
    The Vega56 looks nice, but i was looking for 4k cards, and the Vega64 did not pleased me with its performance.
    I will wait for custom version of the cards as i am not in a hurry

13. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (17-08-2017)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    I dont remember the last time AMD matched Nvidia for performance out of the box, it was always the 'slightly bit slower today but with the promise of better performance later', AMD did always deliver on the optimisations eventually but its a hard sell to the general consumer when they can buy that performance today.
    I don't remember AMD ever promising improved performance over time, it is just something we have gotten used to. In fact I'm still not sure whether my R9 380 has become faster or the GTX 960 I nearly bought for a bit more money has been starved of driver attention and so appears slower as it lacks optimisation in modern games. But really "it will be faster later" is just an admission "we haven't finished the product yet, thanks for beta testing" which isn't something companies tend to do, not even AMD with their regular shoot both feet marketing

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

I'm seriously considering an RX 580 for £220, then sell it on for close to that when the next big thing (in that kinda budget) comes out. I don't mind paying more, but not really doing more than 1080p 100hz (144hz really but anything above 100 is just fine).

Is this reasonable? At least the RX 580 is reasonably new tech and should hold most of it's value for the next 6-12 months?

I'm a little worried that it actually mines (not that I would mine any more probably) a little slower than an r9 390. Ok it's more efficient, but that leaves a sour taste.

edit: it's this one from HUKD, posted today, amazon preorder.

edit2: I went for it. I won't be out much if anything if I need to resell later and I will have a GPU which is capable for a while. Win-win.
    Last edited by Millennium; 17-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks

It's all but been confirmed that the $499 MSRP for the RX Vega64 was a launch price only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson at Overclockers UK
    Launch price was $499 with NO games for the Black card, as outlined to us by AMD as a launch only price. AMD allowed us to sell a set amount at this price, which was several hundred, clearly not enough as they were sold out in approximately 15 minutes. After this the regular price was $599 with FREE games for both the black and silver cards, $699 for the aqua card plus taxes.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    It's all but been confirmed that the $499 MSRP for the RX Vega64 was a launch price only.
    AMD has know given an official statement on the matter:

https://videocardz.com/72123/amd-iss...ega-64-pricing

Thanks

A rather odd statement it seems as they're not really addressing the claim some retailers made that the standalone Radeon RX Vega64 was a limited edition or that they offered a rebate to retailers, in effect they seem to be saying you can only buy the Radeon RX Vega64 with two "free" games but it's going to cost $100 more than the same card without the "free" games.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • maxp779's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5850
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 8MB

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Pretty much sums it up tbh.

14 months late.
    Hot.
    Loud.
    Power hungry.
    Unavailable.
    Performance was not worth the long wait.
    Expensive considering all the above.

Here's hoping Navi is better. I like my Ryzen 1700, I want a decent replacement for my R9 280X, I think for the first time in a long time ill be buying a green team GPU though.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information