Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Radeon RX Vega 56

Thanks

Re: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 and Radeon RX Vega 56

Vega does leave me a little disappointment, but I guess vega 56 performs well for it's price. It's just a shame it's taken so long.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

OK,a mate pointed out to me another post Gibbo made:

AMD have being told by me, stand alone cards, need to be £449 for VEGA 64 and £349 for VEGA 56, permanently, not just for launch or restricted to a certain volume but permanent. They are worried about miners but we can alleviate that with 1pc per customer, hell I'd even set up voucher codes if AMD wanted it off the radar so loyal customers and forum members could bag 1pc at the LAUNCH pricing. I will keep pushing, because at £449 VEGA 64 is a fantastic bit of kit and VEGA 56 at £349 bargain of the century.

I will push AMD very hard to make this happen, but for it to happen AMD need to support it, because without their support we would make a horrific loss and well if we lose money, then we'd be better off not selling it, FULL STOP! Won't stop pushing because at such prices they will fly, but then on the flip side AMD need to be able to give me like 10,000 units minimum to keep the product in stock and keep with demand.

But we won't stop pushing, I think to be frank AMD are a little shocked with how fast our stock went, I think they themselves have under-estimated how many gamers there still is on HD 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx and 290/390 series who wanted and do still want to upgrade to a card from AMD either because they are loyal, like AMD or have a FREESYNC monitor or are planning a FREESYNC monitor purchase.

End of the day there is a huge amount of FREESYNC monitors, some of them very nice, like the 49" Samsung and of course the OcUK killer deal on the LG 34" at £389
    So at this point I haven't the foggiest what Vega56 pricing will be like.

It needs to be sub £400,otherwise at £450+ its running right into GTX1080 territory.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 15-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    hmm. Don't know why my comment hasn't shown up, but to reiterate, .....
    I can tell you why.

Without going into specifics, for what will be obvious reasons, we have various methods for catching "spammers". They're pretty effective at doing that, but just as an occasional spammer gets through, so those methods give us an occasional false positive.

You drew the short straw.

When that happens, posts go into a mod queue, which is why yours didn't show. They've been manually approved and are now visible, and after a short period, will start appearing instantly. I know it's a pain, but please, bear with us. It's for a good reason.

4. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (15-08-2017)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

hmm. Don't know why my comment hasn't shown up, but to reiterate, why go Vega 56 when cards like the Zotac Mini 1070 are coming in at £329?
    Its why it is imperative if AMD wants Vega56 to get any sales from gamers it needs to have at least some models under £400. Its a faster card than a GTX1070 looking at an average of many reviews,and has feature support which probably is going to be found in Volta(like FP16 which is being used in Far Cry 5 and the next Wolfenstein),etc.

However,it means diddly squat if the GTX1070 ends up being £80 to £100 cheaper.

In a new build,thats the price of a bigger SSD or even getting a faster CPU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    The comments on this review are meaningless AMD fanboi noise. Nothing constructive at all. Time to move on folks whilst the rest of us grieve at the utterly disappointing news that AMD have failed to be sufficiently disruptive enough to keep this area of the market honest. £599 for a card which costs £100 more than a 1080, runs hotter, noisier and consumes more power. "The Emperors New Clothes" was a fairy tale, which I can choose not to believe if I wish - much like the incomprehensible defense of this product. The AMD fanbois and shills (and they are both in this thread, for sure) can claim it's freakin amazing as much as they like but AMD are costing us all. The tin-foil hat wearers out there could be forgiven for thinking that AMD and Nvidia are colluding in efforts to keep premium priced 3 year old Nvidia product in the market for as long as possible. No one worth their salt is celebrating this card, believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Its why it is imperative if AMD wants Vega56 to get any sales from gamers it needs to have at least some models under £400. Its a faster card than a GTX1070 looking at an average of many reviews,and has feature support which probably is going to be found in Volta(like FP16 which is being used in Far Cry 5 and the next Wolfenstein),etc.

However,it means diddly squat if the GTX1070 ends up being £80 to £100 cheaper.

In a new build,thats the price of a bigger SSD or even getting a faster CPU.
    Spot on. The whole marketing strategy for ATi/AMD has traditonally been slightly better performance at the same or slightly lower price, regardless of watts etc.

They seem to have ignored this entirely, and its AIBs, not nVidia directly, they are competing with now. AIBs have the power to drop a VRM phase here or the quality of a fan or heatsink there, and drop that price below the magic £400 mark for 1070s.

Vega 56 is from what i can tell comparitively more complex, and the AIBs won't like it - they will have more work to get price down, particularly with that HBM2 stack there. I can't see Vega 56 dropping to there it should have been, £429, for at least 6 months.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Its why it is imperative if AMD wants Vega56 to get any sales from gamers it needs to have at least some models under £400.
    Totally agree, otherwise it's overpriced and too late to the 'scene'. Also then the saving from FreeSync vs G-Sync is a sweetener as well.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

hmm. Don't know why my comment hasn't shown up, but to reiterate, why go Vega 56 when cards like the Zotac Mini 1070 are coming in at £329?
    Why are you comparing launch pricing with RRP?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Was reading some more of the reviews and LOL:

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...%2F&edit-text=

HBCC and primitive shaders apparently are not functional in the drivers computerbase.de were using - can someone confirm this?? They have had 6+ months since the first performance previews,and they can't get features working properly in time for launch. Not sure if they will do anything that dramatic though.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 15-08-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks

I would by an Nvidia card because of CUDA, most apps still rely on CUDA (3DS, MAYA, etc), OpenCL is supported by the same apps but still ahhhhhhh kind-a an issue but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... HBCC and primitive shaders apparently are not functional in the drivers computerbase.de were using - can someone confirm this??...
    Second page of the Hexus review, CAT:

HBCC is one for the future - it is disabled by default and must be enabled via the Radeon software if you choose to experiment
    Hexus imply that it's because it's a feature targeted more at the professional market, and I guess there's a possibility that while it allows access to a much larger address space it does it at the cost of some latency. I doubt it's necessary for current games (which are unlikely to use more than the 8GB of VRAM available on RX Vega) and if there is a latency hit associated it would probably negatively affect performance...

It looks like Vega's another example of AMD investing in technology for the future rather than for today....

EDIT: hmm, another question - is tile based rendering working now, or is that still disabled/unavailable....?

Thanks

From what i gather (source) it seems tile based rendering is enabled.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

It needs to be sub £400,otherwise at £450+ its running right into GTX1080 territory.
    I would start showing an interest in a Vega 56 at £350. I will see how the Linux drivers shake down (looking quite promising so far) and wait for the launch price bubble to pop.

Thanks

Hexus what is wrong with your Fury X in Doom 4K in previous reviews it hit 62 fps and now 48

Registered+
    Thanks

I have been awaiting the release and test results for the Vega 64 and am a little disappointed over the results against the GTX 1080. For essentially the same price you would get a much quicker card in the GTX1080 and using less power too. I am an AMD fan but I also need to replace my old R9 280x and think if NVidia were to lower their prices (which I think they might) I would switch camps at this stage... Unfortunately I can't afford and justify a 1080i..

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Second page of the Hexus review, CAT:

Hexus imply that it's because it's a feature targeted more at the professional market, and I guess there's a possibility that while it allows access to a much larger address space it does it at the cost of some latency. I doubt it's necessary for current games (which are unlikely to use more than the 8GB of VRAM available on RX Vega) and if there is a latency hit associated it would probably negatively affect performance...

It looks like Vega's another example of AMD investing in technology for the future rather than for today....

EDIT: hmm, another question - is tile based rendering working now, or is that still disabled/unavailable....?
    Ah,OK but what about the primitive shaders - it sounds a useful feature,so is it deactivated since it needs to have support in games,or it does not work reliably yet??

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I would start showing an interest in a Vega 56 at £350. I will see how the Linux drivers shake down (looking quite promising so far) and wait for the launch price bubble to pop.
    They really need to try and keep some models under £400 - I know AMD is selling all the cards it can make to miners which is great for them,but its mostly retailers and suppliers who are bumping up the prices,and taking the excess profits,not AMD but AMD will get the fallout from all of this.

Longterm if less and less gamers buy their cards,it means less and less gamers will care about Radeon cards and so will less and less devs. In the end its still easier to get cheaper Nvidia gaming cards than AMD ones.

Edit!!

GN did some tests on the Vega56.

So it is possible to BOTH undervolt and overclock the card for a minimal power increase.

That performance increase would be enough to make the Vega56 virtually the same as a Vega64 I suspect.

Second Edit!!

So clock for clock performance has gone up over the Fury X,but it means Vega64 is hitting some major issues at higher clockspeeds.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-08-2017 at 12:12 PM.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Given the OC potential, I think I would have jumped on Vega 56 if it had been £350 on launch. As is though, I'll be stuck waiting for the Next Big Thing and hoping miners finally give up. The difficulty has increased massively. I don't see how it's viable in all but the cheapest / freest electricity areas.

Anyone got any ideas for a super overclockable great value GFX card for 1080p 100hz ish? Does such a thing exist?
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information