Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 24

Thread: Crucial MX500 1TB

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    27,409
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,693 times in 587 posts

    Crucial MX500 1TB

    A new breed of value SSD.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    634
    Thanked
    266 times in 206 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA970
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Patriot 1866MHz @ 1600MHz + 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Xclio Touch 787
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Interesting to see, although I don't yet think that it's a tempting enough price for me to move from HDD.

    Not that I'm likely to get it either, but I'm curious: How much is the 2TB version said to be?

    Also, the "Recommended" image is linking to non-HTTPS.

    EDIT: Image link has now been corrected.
    Last edited by Output; 19-12-2017 at 01:58 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    My happy place
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • afiretruck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X399 Designare Ex
      • CPU:
      • AMD Threadripper 1900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 32GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB NVMe RAID 5 + 6TB HDD RAID 10
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX Vega 64 (Linux), GTX 980Ti (Windows VM)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core X71
      • Operating System:
      • Arch Linux (Antergos)

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    I wouldn't really consider it being on a SATA interface a bad thing. The speeds you get from SATA 3 are more than fast enough for most applications. NVMe drive speeds are only *really* useful if you're using one as a scratch disk for large files or as a cache drive. Also NVMe drives are still pretty darn expensive (~£200 for 512 GB, when I can get 1TB on SATA 3 for ~£250?).

    Also, interesting to see they've at least attempted to actually solve the power-loss protection issues. Having had to deal with issues arising as a result of this problem at work (had some of our products fail to boot after a power loss because the SSD borked some windows files) it'll be nice to know that consumer drives are getting some love.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    458
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    59 times in 41 posts
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Mushkin
      • Storage:
      • 2x240Gb HyperX Savage / 2x525Gb Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Antec ISK-600M
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Where2buy? You can get the 1TB direct from Crucial.com at the moment, had an email this morning. Around £230 IIRC.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,442
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    84 times in 69 posts

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    Interesting to see, although I don't yet think that it's a tempting enough price for me to move from HDD.

    Not that I'm likely to get it either, but I'm curious: How much is the 2TB version said to be?

    Also, the "Recommended" image is linking to non-HTTPS.

    EDIT: Image link has now been corrected.
    Have you tried using an ssd daily? If you have, you'd never go back to a hdd ever if you can help it
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  6. #6
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    634
    Thanked
    266 times in 206 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA970
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Patriot 1866MHz @ 1600MHz + 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Xclio Touch 787
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Have you tried using an ssd daily? If you have, you'd never go back to a hdd ever if you can help it
    No, but I don't think my usage makes it a "must-have", more of a "I could be tempted at the right price". I'd probably want it to be a minimum of 1TB in size and around £100 though.

    So basically I like the specs (including the encryption capability), but not the price.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,442
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    84 times in 69 posts

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    No, but I don't think my usage makes it a "must-have", more of a "I could be tempted at the right price". I'd probably want it to be a minimum of 1TB in size and around £100 though.

    So basically I like the specs (including the encryption capability), but not the price.
    That's the thing... I've just got to say that an SSD is the biggest upgrade you can ever make to your computer these days unless you're a gamer. I would never dream of going back to a spinny HD except for backup
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  8. Received thanks from:

    Output (20-12-2017)

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    458
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    59 times in 41 posts
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Mushkin
      • Storage:
      • 2x240Gb HyperX Savage / 2x525Gb Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Antec ISK-600M
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    That's the thing... I've just got to say that an SSD is the biggest upgrade you can ever make to your computer these days unless you're a gamer. I would never dream of going back to a spinny HD except for backup
    Agee and disagree. Biggest upgrade but it also makes a massive difference to loading times in game, could never go back.

    @Output. A cheap option would be a smaller SSD for your OS and essential things and a HDD as a secondary drive.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

  10. Received thanks from:

    Output (20-12-2017)

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    2,442
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    84 times in 69 posts

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    Agee and disagree. Biggest upgrade but it also makes a massive difference to loading times in game, could never go back.

    @Output. A cheap option would be a smaller SSD for your OS and essential things and a HDD as a secondary drive.
    I was kinda generalising... if you have an older gpu obvs that would be a better upgrade....but yes, it's deffo the besy upgrade anyone could make. No excuse for getting a cheap s/hand 120gb ssd and using it for a boot drive. As long as you have some backup options available (even to olde HDD) then it's really a no-brainer
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    767
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    32 times in 29 posts
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    I'd only want this for storage .. and it's way over priced
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

    To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    458
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    59 times in 41 posts
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Mushkin
      • Storage:
      • 2x240Gb HyperX Savage / 2x525Gb Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Antec ISK-600M
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I was kinda generalising... if you have an older gpu obvs that would be a better upgrade....but yes, it's deffo the besy upgrade anyone could make. No excuse for getting a cheap s/hand 120gb ssd and using it for a boot drive. As long as you have some backup options available (even to olde HDD) then it's really a no-brainer
    Ah gotcha. Yeah, couldn't agree more.

    TBH people say they're expensive but i've had several hdds fail and needed replacing, that cost adds up. My 64gb SSD I bought years ago for nearly the same price you can get 500gb+ for now is still working.

    SSDs have been a better experience and better value IMO.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

  14. #12
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    634
    Thanked
    266 times in 206 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA970
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Patriot 1866MHz @ 1600MHz + 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Xclio Touch 787
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    Agee and disagree. Biggest upgrade but it also makes a massive difference to loading times in game, could never go back.

    @Output. A cheap option would be a smaller SSD for your OS and essential things and a HDD as a secondary drive.
    The reason I said 1TB minimum is so that it would cover OS and plenty of Steam games. I don't tend to play often (despite having many games in my library), but I'd still prefer to have plenty of space there in case I want to, rather than messing about with deleting to make space.

    Msybe I'll reconsider in future - winning one is obviously a route I'd be happy with and thus possibly be what I'd compromise for - but for the moment at least, I'm happy enough without one if the specs and price aren't at a point to tempt me.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Redditch, United Kingdom
    Posts
    301
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    9 times in 6 posts
    • aniilv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B85
      • CPU:
      • i5-4570
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Raptor 10k rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 760GTX 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 550W Gigabyte
      • Case:
      • Antec
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    If you don't care about money, you can get better/faster/more reliable drives. If you want something that is good priced, you still have to go for HDD. At 250£ for 1TB this is neither here or there.

  16. #14
    U don't see a Moose here! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    28,414
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked
    4,382 times in 3,394 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Crucial are one of the most reliable SSD makers out there AFAIK,and are certainly better than POS companies like Sandisk(yes I am sure me and the many people I know probably got stung by a crap badge of drives,but still!).
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 20-12-2017 at 04:20 AM.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  17. #15
    U don't see a Moose here! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moosetopia
    Posts
    28,414
    Thanks
    3,151
    Thanked
    4,382 times in 3,394 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    The reason I said 1TB minimum is so that it would cover OS and plenty of Steam games. I don't tend to play often (despite having many games in my library), but I'd still prefer to have plenty of space there in case I want to, rather than messing about with deleting to make space.

    Msybe I'll reconsider in future - winning one is obviously a route I'd be happy with and thus possibly be what I'd compromise for - but for the moment at least, I'm happy enough without one if the specs and price aren't at a point to tempt me.
    In terms of games I found that actually had a noticeable difference with an SSD,basically I can name two:
    1.)FO4,as the load times are very long,and in its modded form can be unplayable without an SSD!
    2.)Planetside 2,as you can die quite often during large battles and the SSD means the game can reload quicker when respawning

    The other games,like D3,Overwatch and HOTS,etc I have on my SSD do load quicker on an SSD,but I don't think it is essential for them.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  18. Received thanks from:

    Output (20-12-2017)

  19. #16
    HEXUS.Squirrel Output's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    634
    Thanked
    266 times in 206 posts
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA970
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Patriot 1866MHz @ 1600MHz + 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Xclio Touch 787
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2214H

    Re: Crucial MX500 1TB

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    In terms of games I found that actually had a noticeable difference with an SSD,basically I can name two:
    1.)FO4,as the load times are very long,and in its modded form can be unplayable without an SSD!
    2.)Planetside 2,as you can die quite often during large battles and the SSD means the game can reload quicker when respawning

    The other games,like D3,Overwatch and HOTS,etc I have on my SSD do load quicker on an SSD,but I don't think it is essential for them.
    I don't currently have any of those games that you mention, but thanks for the insight in case I do get any of them in future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •