Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (1TB)

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

Re: Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD (1TB)

How does this compare to the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 NVME?
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Wasn't the best, and wasn't the worst. But going to nvme has resulted in huge performance gains. Mileage varies of course but crystal disk says the nvme drive is around 5 times faster. And we have gone to DDR4 from DDR3 but subjectively the system feels a whole lot smoother. Diminishing returns has been mentioned and I agree - but I don't agree that it doesn't make a huge difference when combined with other advances
    Oh ya the thing is it's all subjective and opinion. There's no right or wrong here; what I consider to be a step you could count as a leap, and just as easily in a different area it could be switched. I am glad though that you feel like you got your leap. Because really, is there any better feeling in the PC space ?

Me personally, I'm excited for the 3080Ti. I skipped the 2080Ti, as I was supremely miffed at the price vs performance gain. But the 3080Ti, hopefully not jacking up the price AGAIN (wouldn't put it past nvidia though), is looking to be a 50% performance gain on the 1080Ti, and that'll be well worth the frankly absurd cost it's no doubt going to be.

Or hell they might push the boat out, and let people use raytracing on 1440p! Forget crystal clear 4K gaming, who doesn't want ever so slightly better lighting at half the resolution!

(Sorry for the dripping sarcasm, but god damn do I hate nvidia and their raytracing throat-funning they're doing to us)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciber View Post
    How does this compare to the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 NVME?
    That adata is about the same speed/spec as my Force MP510 and is a fair bit faster than the Kingston. However as the discussion says you may not see all of the performance increase
    Last edited by 3dcandy; 15-01-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

4. Received thanks from:

Ciber (16-01-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Oh ya the thing is it's all subjective and opinion. There's no right or wrong here; what I consider to be a step you could count as a leap, and just as easily in a different area it could be switched. I am glad though that you feel like you got your leap. Because really, is there any better feeling in the PC space ?

Me personally, I'm excited for the 3080Ti. I skipped the 2080Ti, as I was supremely miffed at the price vs performance gain. But the 3080Ti, hopefully not jacking up the price AGAIN (wouldn't put it past nvidia though), is looking to be a 50% performance gain on the 1080Ti, and that'll be well worth the frankly absurd cost it's no doubt going to be.

Or hell they might push the boat out, and let people use raytracing on 1440p! Forget crystal clear 4K gaming, who doesn't want ever so slightly better lighting at half the resolution!

(Sorry for the dripping sarcasm, but god damn do I hate nvidia and their raytracing throat-funning they're doing to us)
    New pc feeling is immense. So much so my music pc is now roughly the same spec...
    The music pc however needed it as newer software and instruments have pushed the old AMD rig (and still 32-bit) into a semi-retirement except I have some hardware that needs a 32-bit OS to work and I have no plans to ditch it yet. It will work fine standalone but for some things it only has 32-bit driver support

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Wasn't the best, and wasn't the worst. But going to nvme has resulted in huge performance gains. Mileage varies of course but crystal disk says the nvme drive is around 5 times faster. And we have gone to DDR4 from DDR3 but subjectively the system feels a whole lot smoother. Diminishing returns has been mentioned and I agree - but I don't agree that it doesn't make a huge difference when combined with other advances
    My system feels a whole lot smoother after going from DDR3 to DDR4, and I'm still on the same SATA drive Motherboard ans CPU must have helped.

I expect NVMe to win out in the end though. You can get a SATA drive to go in an M.2 slot, so you basically get the same firmware and circuitry as a 2.5in SATA drive. The difference is that the 2.5in drive needs a power and SATA connector, the plastic case that pads the small circuit board out into something bulky enough to fit a 2.5in bay, and the manual assembly process of putting the board in the case. In short, M.2 is cheaper to make.

If you accept M.2 dominance, I think it is only a matter of time for NVMe to displace SATA in the same M.2 socket. The extra performance is a bonus I will happily accept.

Occasionally the performance does make a difference. I got a WD Black SSD to go in a server at work to use as a swap drive. It has a lot of virtual machines on it, and paging one in from spinning rust was painful. A small swap drive was cheaper than an extra 32GB of ECC DDR4, and takes the visible pauses out of using the system. That was an NVMe drive, nothing else made sense in that usage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    My system feels a whole lot smoother after going from DDR3 to DDR4, and I'm still on the same SATA drive Motherboard ans CPU must have helped.

I expect NVMe to win out in the end though. You can get a SATA drive to go in an M.2 slot, so you basically get the same firmware and circuitry as a 2.5in SATA drive. The difference is that the 2.5in drive needs a power and SATA connector, the plastic case that pads the small circuit board out into something bulky enough to fit a 2.5in bay, and the manual assembly process of putting the board in the case. In short, M.2 is cheaper to make.

If you accept M.2 dominance, I think it is only a matter of time for NVMe to displace SATA in the same M.2 socket. The extra performance is a bonus I will happily accept.

Occasionally the performance does make a difference. I got a WD Black SSD to go in a server at work to use as a swap drive. It has a lot of virtual machines on it, and paging one in from spinning rust was painful. A small swap drive was cheaper than an extra 32GB of ECC DDR4, and takes the visible pauses out of using the system. That was an NVMe drive, nothing else made sense in that usage.
    I imagine that going AMD with an X570 would make a difference as well. I'm not knocking what people are saying but at the moment, getting a sata ssd if you have an m.2 slot seems pointless. I have bought 2 x brand new systems as it has made a huge difference in productivity for me...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I would go for (and did) the silicon power NVMEs, same controller as the MP510.

256GB £35.99
    512GB £59.99
    1TB £109.99

Prices correct on amazon right now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post

256GB £35.99
    512GB £59.99
    1TB £109.99

Good prices as the MP510 has been replaced by the MP610 it seems

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

256GB £35.99
    512GB £59.99
    1TB £109.99

Good prices as the MP510 has been replaced by the MP610 it seems
    Seems the mp610 is the PCI-E 4 update/version so will cost more, I guess it won't be a direct replacement as such and the mp510 will still be going. Its a good reference point as the silicon power units aren't as reviewed but I did find a direct comparison to the mp510 and they where basically identical (due to the same hardware).

As it is I have an x570 board and stuck with PCI-E 3 NVME's based on cost, also I guess we might be getting into diminishing returns in real world performance

Thanks

Seems the mp610 is the PCI-E 4 update/version so will cost more, I guess it won't be a direct replacement as such and the mp510 will still be going. Its a good reference point as the silicon power units aren't as reviewed but I did find a direct comparison to the mp510 and they where basically identical (due to the same hardware).

As it is I have an x570 board and stuck with PCI-E 3 NVME's based on cost, also I guess we might be getting into diminishing returns in real world performance
    Double the bandwidth though the ssd's haven't caught up yet. I guess a gen4 card with 4 x ssd's on it if you want to be mad lol

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    if the only thing that is bad is the color then why write it, am much more of a stat person than looks, likewise tht m2s is not the most visible item anyway, so please please if anything, if you are going to write anything bad... put in a real factor or something.
    If you're going to put it in a gaming rig with a glass sided case and RGB lighting, I suppose the look of the PCB might matter. If you're going to put it in a laptop or a business desktop it doesn't matter at all; nobody will see it. I'd happily have one of these; it looks like nice value for money, and I'd rather put the money saved on a prettier board toward something that will improve performance like stepping up to a slightly nicer graphics card or just keep it in my pocket.

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

That adata is about the same speed/spec as my Force MP510 and is a fair bit faster than the Kingston. However as the discussion says you may not see all of the performance increase
    I thought that was the case so with the ADATA being roughly the same price as the Kingston for 512GB and 1tb sizes it should be mentioned in this review and compared really. A bit of a big omission on the part of Hexus TBH.

The price of the 256GB kingston is great if you only need a small drive though.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post

At roughly the same price for better performance I would always choose the NVMe and that's where we're at. So the only reason to choose SATA is if you don't have an NVMe socket available.
    My blog

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    if the only thing that is bad is the color then why write it, am much more of a stat person than looks, likewise tht m2s is not the most visible item anyway, so please please if anything, if you are going to write anything bad... put in a real factor or something.
    Agreed. The real bad is there is are faster drives for the same money as in the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 NVME.
    My blog

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I imagine that going AMD with an X570 would make a difference as well. I'm not knocking what people are saying but at the moment, getting a sata ssd if you have an m.2 slot seems pointless. I have bought 2 x brand new systems as it has made a huge difference in productivity for me...
    All down to use case. The huge L3 cache of the 3700X made a massive difference for me, given my everyday task is compiling code with gcc which works nicely across lots of threads when the entire compiler fits in on package cache. But for storage access, 16GB of ram is enough that my entire source is cached in RAM so doesn't have to be read from SSD. Write speed isn't as important for me, I have a prompt back and the CPU is idle, Linux can (and will) trickle the data back to SSD in its spare time.

So NVMe is nice, but I'm not going to replace what I already have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information