Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800

Thanks

Re: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800

Quote Originally Posted by darcotech View Post
    As I said in another article, most of the cards have been pre-sold to miners in huge lots and only a small quantity had actually arrived in the shops. So do not put blame on shops or even AMD, as once, cards are sold, they have no control over.

Lez's see what 25 Nov will bring us. Hopefully OEMs will not abuse the prices.
    Do you have some kind of sauce for this as I'm pretty sure the mining story has been contested many times.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

When AMD have just blown the "for gamers" horn as high as they have, if they catered to miners first here, all hell would be loose.
    They also got to do something about those bit coins, if it was up to me the stuff would not be backed by actual real money banks.

It is a bit funny though as recent new GFX card and CPU's ( well AMD CPU's at least ) have been so popular from day #1 it have been going on for so long i cant really blame the pestilence for it all.
    And as i understand it is not like the wafer factories have significant lower yields on the new nodes, so that cant be it either.

I can understand factories are getting build as fast as they can, the need do seem to be there Pretty sure TSMC would love to have more 7 nm factories going at full tilt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Viking View Post
    When AMD have just blown the "for gamers" horn as high as they have, if they catered to miners first here, all hell would be loose.
    They also got to do something about those bit coins, if it was up to me the stuff would not be backed by actual real money banks.

It is a bit funny though as recent new GFX card and CPU's ( well AMD CPU's at least ) have been so popular from day #1 it have been going on for so long i cant really blame the pestilence for it all.
    And as i understand it is not like the wafer factories have significant lower yields on the new nodes, so that cant be it either.

I can understand factories are getting build as fast as they can, the need do seem to be there Pretty sure TSMC would love to have more 7 nm factories going at full tilt.
    Significantly less workers packed together since this covid outbreak, packing lines will be staffed less so work at say a third of the speed. The whole of the supply chain will be effected. Heard stories that Apple hired planes just to shift stock of iphones around the world for the recent launch and still couldn't meet demand. It's a perfect storm of demand, people actually needed things to "work" from home etc. and poor supply
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

BEING AN AMD FAN (not by accident): I am impressed by the comeback, Nvidia is ahead (Raytracing/compute) BUT not by much. So the *main* Question would I buy an RX....?? for the compute workloads I love working with the 3070 seems the obvious buy.

Thanks

Its not a case of a comeback for me, but more a case of how far AMD has come in the last year, look at the 5000 series cards vs the 6000 series, that's one hell of a jump in a year, even more so when you look at how far NVidia has come in the time gap between the 2000 and 3000 series cards..

RDNA3 is going to be really interesting if they can get the same sort of increase and some sort of RT implementation..

NVidia are still ahead in a lot of other areas though, its not all about game performance at the end of the day..

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Yeah, while i do not have any immediate need for it, i would gladly trade in my 5700XT for a 6800XT, and i would even throw a few Danish dollars on top of my 5700XT
    CUZ there is no doubt the 6800XT is a substantial step up compared to my 5700XT.

But it look like i will have to make do for a while, and maybe soothe my shopaholisem by getting a new screen instead, one my 5700XT can handle but also something a RDNA3 card can make shine in a year or two when i get that far.

If they also make a jump like that next fall, Nvidia will be under severe pressure if all they do next year is a 30XXti

Registered+
    Thanks

Glad to see AMD compete, even if for the time being that just means better performance rather than more reasonable prices... Hopefully the 6700 series will be a little more sane in that regard, because I simply cannot afford to buy *any* of these cards.

I must admit to being shocked by the RT performance though. I expected it to be last-gen in nature, but not so much lower than the 2080Ti. Time will tell if newer games work better with their hardware, but I don't see how that would make up for such a strong deficit. Again, from a personal perspective, I don't really give a rat's ass - rasterization is where it's at for me and I can't afford the hardware that will do RT particularly well - but between that and the pricing, it really does mean that they don't deal any knockout blows to Nvidia here.

8. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-11-2020)

Thanks

Its not a case of being able to afford them, its a case of trying to find stock lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Its not a case of being able to afford them, its a case of trying to find stock lol
    I'm rocking a GTX 1030 right now....I want a gaming card now!

Ryzen 3900X/64GB GSkill FlareX/Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra/RTX-

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I at least briefly saw some RX 6800 cards at Overclockers. That's better than trying to get my hands on a damned PS5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I at least briefly saw some RX 6800 cards at Overclockers. That's better than trying to get my hands on a damned PS5.
    Tech Drought!

Ryzen 3900X/64GB GSkill FlareX/Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra/RTX-

Thanks

Looking forward to getting one of these when supply improves. Really good to see AMD fighting at the high-end.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information