Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    I mean it's not a huge case but creaping up towards compact mini-itx cases which will give a lot more bang for buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Ok so Ghost Canyon has dimensions of 357mm x 189mm x 120mm

I think I'd rather have a Coolermaster NR200P case with dimensions (L x H x W) 376 x 292 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions

While it's a little bigger it does have slightly more expandability and doesn't require proprietary cooling on the cpu etc.

Best thing of all... it would come in cheaper and potentially better performing (option of using AMD).

I suppose real selling point to the nuc is that it is smaller but I'm not sure that's enough to warrant the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Might have been useful to show if the GPU suffered from throttling down (if at all) from the factory boost clocks due to temps in such a small case.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Now my brain is just stuck on "What's the smallest practical computer I could build?" mode, dag nammit. There's nothing wrong with the tower under my desk I never look at, nor the laptop I rarely use, and I certainly don't want a computer on my desk. But still, I miss my old Shuttle SN45GV2...
    I can foresee a compact build in my future, might even make my sons next PC aither a NUC or an ITX build... Although thermals would be my biggest concern - I wonder how well (or badly) the Nvidia 30 series founders edition cooler would work in one of these shoebox builds?

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Ok so Ghost Canyon has dimensions of 357mm x 189mm x 120mm

I think I'd rather have a Coolermaster NR200P case with dimensions (L x H x W) 376 x 292 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions

While it's a little bigger it does have slightly more expandability and doesn't require proprietary cooling on the cpu etc.

Best thing of all... it would come in cheaper and potentially better performing (option of using AMD).

I suppose real selling point to the nuc is that it is smaller but I'm not sure that's enough to warrant the price.
    It makes me chuckle that you can shoehorn a gaming PC into a package that is the same sort of size as a multi drive NAS
    Last edited by Jonj1611; 09-10-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

Personally I don't get the point of large footprint "small" cases. It does not save space at all in most circumstances. I have bought plenty of computers with the intent of having them set up in limited space and the only thing I never had to care about is height. Yet the case for this "NUC" like many others is essentially mainly saving on height. A Corsair One may be expensive but at least it serves a purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information