Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,070 times in 719 posts

    Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Bigger, more fun, but not without fault.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    $1,350, really?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Honestly a beast I want, even if it devours me!

  4. #4
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,824
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked
    238 times in 191 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    I mean it's not a huge case but creaping up towards compact mini-itx cases which will give a lot more bang for buck.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,207
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    114 times in 102 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Ok so Ghost Canyon has dimensions of 357mm x 189mm x 120mm

    I think I'd rather have a Coolermaster NR200P case with dimensions (L x H x W) 376 x 292 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions

    While it's a little bigger it does have slightly more expandability and doesn't require proprietary cooling on the cpu etc.

    Best thing of all... it would come in cheaper and potentially better performing (option of using AMD).

    I suppose real selling point to the nuc is that it is smaller but I'm not sure that's enough to warrant the price.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    902
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    34 times in 26 posts
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Little computers.

    I have had eNUC of this folly, a man have a big old computer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    30 times in 23 posts
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3400
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 512GB NVMe SSD, Crucial 1Tb NVMe SSD, 6Tb Seagate 7200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 RMx 850 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify C Copper Front Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG UK850 27in 4K HDR Freesync/Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Three Mobile 4G Unlimited Data (35-45Mbit)

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Might have been useful to show if the GPU suffered from throttling down (if at all) from the factory boost clocks due to temps in such a small case.

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,041
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked
    146 times in 88 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Might have been useful to show if the GPU suffered from throttling down (if at all) from the factory boost clocks due to temps in such a small case.
    GPU stability is pretty good, all things considered. According to the logs the supplied Gigabyte card settled in at around 1,890MHz, a fraction higher than we see from an FE card in a regular desktop.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    31 times in 28 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    When this style of nuc arrived, the premise (as far as I'm aware) was that you could exchange your module for the next range of cpus. That sounded quite cool. Instead of upgrading, new thermal paste, new cpu, you just plug in a unit and you're done.

    So... can you buy the module and install into the older NUC?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London town
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    21 times in 16 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Ok so Ghost Canyon has dimensions of 357mm x 189mm x 120mm

    I think I'd rather have a Coolermaster NR200P case with dimensions (L x H x W) 376 x 292 x 185 x 292mm incl. Protrusions

    While it's a little bigger it does have slightly more expandability and doesn't require proprietary cooling on the cpu etc.

    Best thing of all... it would come in cheaper and potentially better performing (option of using AMD).

    I suppose real selling point to the nuc is that it is smaller but I'm not sure that's enough to warrant the price.
    To be fair, that Coolermaster case is two and a half times the volume of this, so not really in the same category.

  11. #11
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,824
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked
    238 times in 191 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Now my brain is just stuck on "What's the smallest practical computer I could build?" mode, dag nammit. There's nothing wrong with the tower under my desk I never look at, nor the laptop I rarely use, and I certainly don't want a computer on my desk. But still, I miss my old Shuttle SN45GV2...

  12. #12
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,643
    Thanks
    3,762
    Thanked
    5,070 times in 3,914 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Now my brain is just stuck on "What's the smallest practical computer I could build?" mode, dag nammit. There's nothing wrong with the tower under my desk I never look at, nor the laptop I rarely use, and I certainly don't want a computer on my desk. But still, I miss my old Shuttle SN45GV2...
    I built a PC based around this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apefSM59Ksk


  13. Received thanks from:

    jimbouk (07-10-2021)

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    267
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    17 times in 15 posts

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by John_Amstrad View Post
    $1,350, really?
    Specced on simplynuc.co.uk to match the review (16gb of RAM, 512GB PCIe4 SSD, Windows license) it's £1625 without a GPU.

  15. #14
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,366
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked
    1,411 times in 1,193 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Now my brain is just stuck on "What's the smallest practical computer I could build?" mode, dag nammit. There's nothing wrong with the tower under my desk I never look at, nor the laptop I rarely use, and I certainly don't want a computer on my desk. But still, I miss my old Shuttle SN45GV2...
    The SN45GV2 was awesome value. I presume that heatpipe to a radiator at the back arrangement is under patent, because it was so good. Later processors seemed to need more VRM cooling than that layout could manage, but 65W APUs are quite high end now and I wish that box style would come back.

  16. #15
    Editable... jimbouk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,824
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked
    238 times in 191 posts
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The SN45GV2 was awesome value. I presume that heatpipe to a radiator at the back arrangement is under patent, because it was so good. Later processors seemed to need more VRM cooling than that layout could manage, but 65W APUs are quite high end now and I wish that box style would come back.
    Yeah, Shuttles were great value for a while, seemed like you paid no more than you would for a case, PSU & motherboard and you got a CPU cooler thrown in. Must have been quite an investment to do custom motherboards though. General power (and cooling) requirements went up and up though so I guess that was a limit, and their later designs were overpriced commodity items rather than enthusiast/value oriented. I guess a modern alternative would need a little water cooling loop in place?

  17. #16
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    12,366
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked
    1,411 times in 1,193 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 33 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Intel NUC 11 Extreme Kit (Beast Canyon)

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Yeah, Shuttles were great value for a while, seemed like you paid no more than you would for a case, PSU & motherboard and you got a CPU cooler thrown in. Must have been quite an investment to do custom motherboards though. General power (and cooling) requirements went up and up though so I guess that was a limit, and their later designs were overpriced commodity items rather than enthusiast/value oriented. I guess a modern alternative would need a little water cooling loop in place?
    Or a 65W limit. You can get some pretty awesome CPUs in that power envelope these days. But you compare that simple Shuttle cooling layout to this, and frankly the NUC internals just look like a bunch of ugly waiting to fail.

    I believe the later Shuttles were ITX motherboards, so not quite so custom. Certainly not as custom as this weird module and backplane arrangement.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 08-10-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •