Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 34 PSU Roundup -Taoyuan 2005

Thanks

Toms hardware did a stress test

Quote Originally Posted by apesoccer
    LOL...i've been looking for reviews on my Enermax EG565...<cries>...well i have been having power related issues with it...especially with my 6800s. They clock down after 3-10min depending on how hot it gets in there.

I've been in the act of looking for a new one...been everywhere looking at reviews...Still a little unsure. Down to the (decided the single 12v line was where i wanted to be so...) Zippy HP2-6500P, OCZ520ADJ, and the pc p&c 510. The 510 is a bit expensive...

Rats...can't figure out how to use the insert image button...oh well.

Anyway Nice review. <Fav'd>
    On Toms Hardware pages you can find a stress test, where the Enermax PSU's do comparatively well....
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html

Thanks
    Excellent Post and reviews.

Banned
    Thanks
    Would like to see some passive PSUs in the roundup eg. Antec Phanton, Silverstone NF30 etc

Thanks
    • doug-jensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Supermicro X7DWA-N
      • CPU:
      • Dual quad-core Xeons
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 8GB DDR2 registered ECC RAM
      • Storage:
      • 4*300GB U320 15KRPM, 8*1TB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AIW X1900 (I watch TV but don't play games)
      • PSU:
      • PC Power & Cooling 1KW
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A70
      • Monitor(s):
      • SyncMaster 213T
      • Internet:
      • Cable
    Curious that no one tests PSU's at operational temperatures, like commercial and industrial equipment manufacturers do. Get an IR thermometer or a themometer with a probe that can be inserted into the PSU, and see what the actual operating temperature is after being under full load for a while. It's way higher than the 25C that PSU vendors claim (if they claim anything at all) their ratings are measured at. No one seems to dare open their PSU and show the interior next to that of a PC Power & Cooling PSU, or to compare specs with PCP&C. There's a reason PCP&C is always the PSU in Maximum PC's annual Ultimate PC. Interesting that no one other than Maximum PC ever includes it in their "evaluations."

Thanks

Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE

I recently purchased an Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE, after reading the stress test on THG, so am quite interested in the results for this PSU from hexus.net, and why they are different. After some research, it appears there are 2 versions of this PSU. The one tested on THG seems to be the newer one, which is rated for SLI, has a 24 pin motherboard connector, and also includes 2 PCIe connectors.
    I also found this on a review done at http://www.silentpcreview.com/article221-page1.html

"Our sample is a Noisetaker version 2. The main difference between the Noisetaker revisions appears to be adherence to the newer v2.01 rather than v1.3 of the ATX12V PSU Design Guide. The actual specifications have not changed much for comparable models; according to Enermax's spec sheet, the only differences are a slightly higher rating for one of the 12V rails and the disappearance of a combined maximum wattage for the 3.3V and 5V rails."

This seems to explain why they weren't able to increase the combined wattage on the 3.3v and 5v lines above 120W, while THG had no problems pulling 600w from this PSU.

Any ideas? I'm trying to find this out, as I don't want a lot of money wasted on a PSU that can't go over 460w.

Thanks
    nice to see the akasa 650watt do well becuase i bought it without reading any reviews but i must say u failed to mention how noisy it is becuase its very noisy

Thanks
    First off pretty good article. Lots of PSU's tested, but as others also mentioned to bad there where no antec's.

One thing I find very very supprising in this review is that the FSP and Zalman supplies perform so differently. Several sites allready mentioned that the Zalman is simply a relabeld FSP PSU. On opening this becomes clearly visible due to the PCB that has FSP markings on it.

However things can always be done better : ) And what I really miss was not only ripple analasys (as also mentioned) but inside (+outside) pics (as for example xbit did in their review here X-bit labs . Maybe add the 'weight' of the PSU (as that mostly also is a pretty good indication of built quality).

I saw a review once that went as far as measuring heatsink thinkness and area. Also very important I do belive! (Bigger heatsinks cost more, if manufactures try to save a few pennies there, what else might they be saving a bit too much on?)

My favorite PSU (allthough heavly outdated yes) is still Anandtech's

Notice the memory test they perform. Now you could argue that they have bad ram a bad motherboard or what not. But if you look at the diverse results with different PSU's on the same motherboard +cpu +ram combo, things become rather interesting. This is one of the reason's I looked for a FSP, Fortron, Nexus or Zalman. Since Zalman was the most easy to purchase I got that one and I can only praise it with it's near perfect power low heat and very low noise.
    Last edited by oliveroms; 03-10-2005 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thx ronald, i checked that one out a while back, but thx for the heads up. I found four reviews of the product, two good and two bad. I've got them linked in various posts on different forums...=)

Thanks

Thumbs up

This is a hell of a nice review, congrats and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Lots of information to digest - thanks for doing the reviews.

Thanks
    Excellent Post and review only bad thing is that i have to go out and spend more money to get something better damm hexus

Thanks
    On an interesting note I was reading Custom PC while on holiday and they did a very similiar psu round up and the results were along the same lines as yours. With some big brands coming out very badly

DR
    Thanks
    Didn't know people read CPC

Thanks
    I was without the web

Thanks

Tagan TG480-U01

'Connectivity is the Tagan's strong point, the latest revision able to power just about anything, including a pair of PCI Express graphics boards'

When I'm buying one of these how do I know that I'm getting the latest revision with 2xPCI-E connectors (SLI Ready) if they're called the same, TG480-U01? The ones that i have seen on the web seem to only have 1xPCI-E connector and nothing is mentioned that they're compatible with ATX 2.0 and BTX. Shouldn't the product have a different name if it's a later revision? Tagans website doesn't seem to be up to date, you get a bit confused. The only psu that comes close to the one presented in the article is the TG480-U22. Or maybe it's just a typo(s) in the article?

EXELLENT article btw, nice work, maybe add some more photos next time.

edit:
    So, I understand now that there is a latest and older revision numbers of this very same PSU model.... so the question is, what revision number is the latest (the one that is SLI Ready and has support for BTX and ATX 2.0) and are they available on the europeing market, if so, under which SKU? How many revisions are there?

Off to google for some more information.........
    Last edited by Hexus1; 08-11-2005 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks

Question Which PSU?

Hi guys,

I need help. Big help.

I've got 5 IDE drives (large capacity collected over the last 2-3 yrs) [5 x molex connectors], a CD Writer [1 x molex connector], a DVD-ROM [1 x molex connector], a DVD Writer [1 x molex connector], a floppy drive-cum-media card reader [1 x floppy connector], a 6800 GT Ultra [1 x molex connector], a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro [1 x floppy connector] and 4 thermally controlled case fans [4 x molex connectors]. It's all hooked to a Gigabyte 7N400L pro motherboard & an AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton overclocked to 3200.

Now I've got a 550W Antec Trupower 2.0 PSU trying to run my gig which seems to barely keep the power fed properly to two of my HDDs.
    Now all my HDDs are set on cable select & its the 2 slave ones that seem to be unpowered even though the BIOS can clearly detect & acknowledge their presence during boot up. The CD & DVD drives on RAID IDE connections set yo normal non-raid settings. So they run a-ok.

Should my Antec 550W PSU suffice me to run 'em all? Or should I "upgrade" to an FSP Epsilon 700W PSU to keep 'em all on the go???
    I could supply u with a better picture if need be...

Thanks. I'd appreciate all the help I can get bout this cracker...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information