Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: Intel Core 2 Duo/Extreme Processors

Mike Fishcake
    Cheers for the review, but I'm still eager to find out the results of the 6300, for video encoding mostly.

edit: actually, scrap that, the price difference between the 6300 and 6400 is virtually nothing.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingmatt
    It's about as good as we all hoped it would be - thanks for the review Hexus.

HOWEVER

Surely there should be some more focus on multicore performance? Gaming whilst encoding or something? I don't really think you've tested how well it performs as a stressed dual core system compared to the X2?

DM
    Hi dancingmatt,

Point taken. I've updated the review with numbers from multi-app. performance. Check out page 8 of the review.

Thanks
    Great review, in depth but I understood it.

Confirmed my predictions that this would really punish AMD, they really need to come up with something new to challenge Intel, but we don't know of anything major up their sleeve.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder
    Hi dancingmatt,

Point taken. I've updated the review with numbers from multi-app. performance. Check out page 8 of the review.
    Hey look at that - nice one Tarinder! Now that is a quick and impressive response

Shame you left off the E6600 though, I think that's the one most people (including me) want - but we can interpolate the results. That E6400 is still holding strong as well.

Thanks again, I'm well impressed you took on my suggestion that quickly.

DM

Thanks

Techie tourists come to UK to buy their CPUs. It's possible!

We've included a link to SCAN's pricing at the end of the review but has anyone who's followed that link come to the same realisation as me?

I've just done some checks for pricing in the USA and SCAN's VAT-inclusive prices are better than most I can find there!

And, if you factor in the 17.5% for VAT, then SCAN just destroys the US opposition.

I can see it all now, techie-tourists coming to the UK and making a point of helping to pay for their trips by buying cheap CPUs while they're here! And they claim back the VAT, of course.

Oh, and as a relevant aside - how much trouble is AMD in?

And yet... it was Intel that just announced it was making 1,000 managers redundant.

Can AMD possibly have anything up its sleeve, apart from ongoing legal moves over Intel's anti-competitive transgressions? (What's happened to those moves, by the way?)

I mean to say, who now would possibly consider an AMD CPU if they were looking for any kind of half-decent performance? Certainly not this AMD fanboy. Unless, that, is AMD cuts prices to about a third of their current level.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 14-07-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    Can AMD possibly have anything up its sleeve, apart from ongoing legal moves over Intel's anti-competitive transgressions? (What's happened to those moves, by the way?)

I mean to say, who now would possibly consider an AMD CPU if they were looking for any kind of half-decent performance? Certainly not this AMD fanboy. Unless, that, is AMD cuts prices to about a third of their current level.
    A move down to 65nm and a bump up in clocks seems the only way they can pull things back right now.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    A move down to 65nm and a bump up in clocks seems the only way they can pull things back right now.
    if i had to guess i'd say quad cores sometime next year which may be K8l parts, maybe q1 2007. K8L has a bunch of improvements, not sure if its enough to beat conroe(infact i have a feeling it won't) but with a better architecture and less of a bottleneck when all four cores are stressed i could see it maybe beating a kentsfield on a limited bus.

65nm and speed jumps added to a improve architecture, bigger cache, l3, more cores, better branch prediction and i think bigger sse registers and some other stuff, we'll have to see.

the thing is though, most people don't render stuff on their computers, use 3dsmax, encode video all day or run super pi all day, most people surf, use office and play games, of which overall you really won't feel the difference of conroe. thats how almost everyone i know uses their computers, everyone at uni(pretty much) all my family and friends. i can't imagine any of them being able to see the difference from a 3200+ ath 64 and a X6800, or a 805D honestly. amd aren't exactly in dire trouble. but slower cpu's are slower cpu's, marketing campaigns affect bottom lines big time and saying you have the fastest cpu causes market share to increase like amd's has for the past few years.

EDIT:- afaik as long as you buy from a different state you don't pay tax in the same way in america, not sure if they'd have to put something like a cpu down in taxes at end of the year or not. anyway, komplett has teh E6600 at , wait for it, £215 INC VAT, ocuk, scan, dabs are the £250-255 range, tekheads and novatech are £233. komplett came out of no where to offer easily the best price. i was shocked, then i ordered
    Last edited by drunkenmaster; 14-07-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    • DeathByDuke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AM3+ AMD SB910/950 Chipset
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8320 8 Core "Vishera" Core Socket AM3+ CPU
      • Memory:
      • Corsair TWINX 8Gb DDR3-800 (2X 4Gb) CAS6
      • Storage:
      • 1x EVO 840 120Gb, 2x Samsung 1Tb, 1x Seagate 2Tb, 1x Samsung 750Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSi AMD Radeon R9 270 2Gb
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 680W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata 3
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2 Unlimited
    This is what Intel should have done 5 years ago as a response to the first K8s... But hey, better late than never, and nice prices.

AMDs price cuts to counter these should be interesting, specially since I have a 939 system. mmm cheap dual core X2?

Win to us all round!

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDuke
    AMDs price cuts to counter these should be interesting, specially since I have a 939 system. mmm cheap dual core X2?

Win to us all round!
    Yup X2 3800's have hit £120 already. I'm just waiting for the 4400+ to follow suit

Thanks
    Heh Heh you intel guys get me , Ever since these intel chips saw the light of day your incessant keniption fit bowel movements over it is just too much , The reason why they don't run it with all the goodies turned on is because its not as a big performer that they tout is as . If you remember they ran it at 800x600 and man it was 150% better .Heh Heh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ishtar
    Heh Heh you intel guys get me , Ever since these intel chips saw the light of day your incessant keniption fit bowel movements over it is just too much , The reason why they don't run it with all the goodies turned on is because its not as a big performer that they tout is as . If you remember they ran it at 800x600 and man it was 150% better .Heh Heh
    I'm just hoping that AMD doesn't suffer the same delusions as yourself - or they REALLY will be in very big trouble.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    I think that benchmark went over someone's head

Thanks

just because its not faster in gaming, where you will almost always be gpu limited doesn't mean its not faster. it really is faster, a lot faster, honestly faster than i even thought it could be. the performance gap is very big in a lot of situations. while most people's most stressing thing to do is gaming, doesn't mean that other things aren't done on computers. if you encode stuff, or run something very processor intensive theres simply no doubt how good the conroe is. there were some preview results which saw, compared to the ath 64's, a much smaller advantage under 64 bit, even lost a couple benchmarks that under 32 bit the conroe simply spanked the ath 64's. there is a possibility conroe isn't half as good under 64 bit, or athlon 64's simply work so well under 64 bit that the gap will be much smaller, but we've yet to see definitive 64bit results. at the moment 64bit win xp is pretty, well, unsupported so its not really an issue for 99% of users. but come Vista it might be a different story.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    I certainly will. I only recently bought this 939 system and I can't wait for prices to plummet. Competition is good
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

In other news, this is great news all round - CPUs were beginning to get a bit pricey (thankyou AMD for charging a premium ) and this firmly chops that back. We just need something like this to happen for GPUs and PC gaming will look an aweful lot more attractive again.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre
    I'd really like to see an Apophysis render test (inc flame file) as I have recently gotten into it, but my poor old Socket A XP 2500+ does take a beating with it. I would guess anything new would be a worthwhile upgrade to that CPU.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information