Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Even a creature from outer space should know you can't buy a good review on HEXUS

Thanks
    Im surprised they wrote that stuff down in an email, but to be frank I don't blame Alienware in not sending Hexus a system to review, its bad for business - Alienware have always been poor value for money imo, they are a fashion brand of pc.

Unless they make a considerable change in their systems etc then Hexus would (rightly) make the same conclusions - Alienware, for their price do not offer enough over companies like Mesh etc in system specs etc - although this doesn't take into account warrenty etc and to be frank Alienware are not in competition with Mesh and vice versa - people who buy Alienware are for a large part buying it for asthetical, brand, reputation and the famed support.

I can see both sides of the argument, I don't really agree with the publication of the emails etc, I am just wondering why they have been published and why this is issue has been made public (interesting as it is)

***** Lurker
    Thanks
    • d3fiant's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GB X58A-UDR3 FB11
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 950
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120GB OCZ Agility SSD + 500GB SP F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GB Windforce GTX670 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W Akasa
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 HP Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" 1920x1080 Iiyama LED
      • Internet:
      • 60MB VM
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkieBen View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument, I don't really agree with the publication of the emails etc, I am just wondering why they have been published and why this is issue has been made public (interesting as it is)
    That was my point and my concern, I dont agree with Alienware's comments, not on any level, its shortsighted, however I have to also add that the decision by Hexus to post the emails in their entirety is also possibly shortsighted, I hope not.

Thanks
    shocking, but understandable....
    Come on Alienware, get your act together. Boy this has really let the cat among the pidgeons, trust them to make a bad situation worse.
    HTC Diamond, Cannon G9. Apple Unibody Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz C2D, 256 9400GT,

Thanks
    The corruption discussed is no surprise to me, given that 'corruption' in the 'scene' has been around for ages even when OCS where still around...
    Last edited by Vini; 30-10-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks
    The more I re-read it and digest it the more it sounds pretty petty tbh. Whilst the practice mentioned is to be frowned upon, the first page of the article could have sufficed.

Hexus are not THE authority on hardware reviews...although very good and informative, there are other respectable excellent sites that have their own (very good) views on things.

<Speaking purely as a Hexus reader>
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Syn
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez View Post
    The more I re-read it and digest it the more it sounds pretty petty tbh. Whilst the practice mentioned is to be frowned upon, the first page of the article could have sufficed.

Hexus are not THE authority on hardware reviews...although very good and informative, there are other respectable excellent sites that have their own (very good) views on things.

<Speaking purely as a Hexus reader>
    So what if Hexus aint only one why does that matter? Alienware wants for review sites to write only nice things about thier products and they tried to force Hexus to do the same, Hexus is not having any of it and is exposing them.

Thats whats important.
    TAMGc 2

- Samsung 17" SM730BF 4ms TFT - Thermaltake Xaser Tsunami Black - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ - Asus A8R-32 Deluxe - Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT CL 2-3-3-6 - 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB S150 (1 For Windows, 1 For Games) - Western Digital Caviar 250GB SE16 (For everything else) - Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS - Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB - Thermaltake PurePower 680W (+12v 14A) (+12v 23A) (+12v 15A) = 52A -

Thanks
    • badger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z68
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Samsung F1, 1TB Hitachi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
    Not surprised, I once had a very similar discussion with Alienware about a review. Never bothered speaking to them again. Alienware is an arrogant company which appears to be staffed by people who truly believe that its systems are the second coming, rather than the gimmicky, overpriced crap they are shown to be in many reviews.

Thanks

Thanks
    This one almost made me piss myself laughing. This is the same Mat Bettinson who used to be a reviewer or whatever for CU Amiga. He's sat on the other side and now he's telling us that all his reviews etc for CU Amiga were based on only giving good reviews? What a plonker.

I got some review kit before from companies and not one gave me any pressure to write a good one for them. Perhaps he is being naive in his thinking. Of course Hexus would "expose" him.

He needs to remove the foot from his own mouth!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    So what if Hexus aint only one why does that matter? Alienware wants for review sites to write only nice things about thier products and they tried to force Hexus to do the same, Hexus is not having any of it and is exposing them.

Thats whats important.
    I agree that Alienware shouldn't do this. Totally 100% behind the fact that NO manufacturers should do this. But the article makes it look like every site that disagrees with Hexus is wrong, which is rather an impertinent boast imo.

And I don't agree with publicising e-mails that should be private between the manufacturer and publisher.

But don't get me wrong - the sentiments I agree with.

I would say, however: that Alienware are well within their rights (and as anybody in marketing would tell you - sensibilities) to stop sending review products that they feel (note the bold - this is Alienware's view) have been treated unfairly and reviewed with prejudice - in their eyes.

Personally I don't think they should have any complaints about a review which rightly stated that Alienware costs too much for what you get.
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Fair play hexus. This is the whole point of reading reviews online - product don't cut it, then they tell it like it is.

My PCW mag subscription is increasingly getting on my nerves as they bias towards manufacturers. Nice to see honest opinions from yourselves and other online review sites.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    You can add, Abit, and Sapphire to the list of companies that do this.
    Abit refused to even return e-mails and phone calls after a poor review of the AN8-SLI. Sapphire was the same after we called thier overpriced X1300 for what it was.

So this is not an unheard of thing.
    Sean Kalinich
    Managing Editor
    Planetx64.com

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    Perhaps Hexus should start to list all hardware they have requested for review but been denied now.

I think that should make a good list of "hardware to stay clear of"
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks
    As a daily reader of HEXUS i enjoy reading the informative and un-bias advice offered by HEXUS. In my opinion honesty and integrity are fundamental from a readers point of view and thus cannot be bought.. So thanks for all the great reviews and keep up the good work HEXUS.

Thanks
    • Barkotron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-A
      • CPU:
      • i7 5820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Samsung 850 Pro (OS), 512GB Samsung 840 Evo (Games), various other SSD/HDD (storage, work)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d GeForce GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Something Something 800W-ish
      • Case:
      • Define XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1 x64 (fun!), Win2012 R2 (work)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HR27WD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez View Post
    And I don't agree with publicising e-mails that should be private between the manufacturer and publisher.
    I dunno. I don't really understand why emails like this should be private. He's writing to a news site and making comments which are newsworthy - of course they're going to be published. I would hope any other publication would do the same in similar circumstances.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Well said PD, and I personally couldn't agree with you more.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread Information