Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread: Even a creature from outer space should know you can't buy a good review on HEXUS

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC

What I would like to see happen now is...

I want Hexus to issue an apology to Alienware.
    Not for what happened in the review.
    And not even for the idea of 'whistle-blowing' what Hexus percieved as underhandedness.
    I want an apology for the language used, and the seeming speed at which this issue became exacerbated.

I want mature and reasonable behaviour amongst adults who are able to express (potentially strong) disagreement in a calm and considered manner, but which will allow for all concerned to grow, change, improve and learn from this.

I want Hexus to be the thing that it aspires to be, and for Alienware to take a knock but carry on trying.

Professionalism people.

Or i'll spank your bottoms.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree View Post
    It might, perhaps, be instructive for people to check out this blog on Wired, headed, "Alienware and Hexus.net mudwrestle over reviews" (URL is on page 12 of this thread)

How so?

Well, you might think, like me, that this piece by Michael Ansaldo had some kind of ulterior motive and wonder what that motive might be.

Basically the blogger on Wired comes down on the side of the fence that Hexus handled this badly and Bob comes out swinging in a reply which is exactly along the lines of the "ulterior motive" he mentions above and infers and insinuates that the blogger and Wired can only have posted this blog because they are in pay of Alienware!!!

The blogger replies in a very professional manner not rising to the bait and responds to this insinuation in one short paragraph "Your insinuation of financial arrangements between Mike, Wired and Alienware in all this speaks for itself. Professionalism is about more than paying your staff, Bob."

The stark thing is that these threads were written in the last 24 hours not in the heat of the original misunderstanding / dispute. But just because a single blogger at Wired doesn't think that Hexus handled itself too well he's now come out making totally unfounded insinuations about Wired as well!!

I really do think that Hexus is embarrassing itself a great deal on this now because the reply to the Wired blog doesn't have any of the fog-of-war of the original misunderstanding / dispute. Even if you are on the Hexus side a quick read of the blog, the reply and the blogger's reply shows a very poor sense of judgement being exercised.

Once you've read it, perhaps go back to the three original emails and read them absolutely cold without the filter of the first three pages of commentary. Just read them stone cold; You'll see there's really bugger all said in the first email from AW and that the reply from Hexus was totally over the top. You can then read the reply from AW if you want to find fault on that sure, but just read the original and the Hexus reply. You'll see a real lack of professionalism and huge hot headedness. That could have all got glossed over by the general dispute if it wasn't for the fact that Hexus has now also gone completely OTT making a HUGE insinuation about Wired - that they are in the pay of AW - that is without any foundation.

Very very embarrassing and really gives the lie to the thought or rather lack of it that is being exercised here.

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    ... i was going to post a follow up here but far more dedicated hexus and alienware lovers have done more than adequatley above... i think to sumaarize we can safely say that:
    1:neither party handled the issue in a great way
    2:alienwares are overpriced
    3: Hexus just made a load of money off slashdot viewers looking at their adds
    4: No-one reading hexus or slashdot is likley to be seriously considering pruchasing an alienware anyway so no harm done
    5: Journalism 101- a story must be interesting, by over-exaggerrating the story it became more ineteresting and we have been able to have this jolly debate, otherwise nearly all reviews site would give nearly everything a 6.5/10 and dull it would be.
    AMD3000+ ATIX800XL + GBNF44x mobo.. all at stock because they're good enough atm + CA A1 amp-->Mission 73S Loigtech MX1000 + 1GB ram + 1/3 TB HD array
    Wintendo XP + Linux (when it works) .. just incase you were wondering

Registered+
    Thanks
    I dont see any evidence of corruption in the emails - an admission of targeted marketing, but certainly no smoking gun.

If I had made allegations of the kind Hexus have done, based only on the evidence Hexus has published, I would be having a few sleepless nights...

I think you have really let yourselves down on this one.

S.

Thanks
    I'm frankly shocked at how many people think Hexus is in the wrong, whereas I can admit the response was quite "sharp", we should all think to how we'd react if we'd received the same emails at work, I remember when critiquing some software we used at *Major Energy Suppliers* and I critiqued it in a professional way (10 pages with commentary and screenshots) I got an extremely arsey email from the IT department stating how things were done and how my suggestions were not possible.

I responded in a similar way to Hexus, stating my IT knowledge (the response had been written assuming I was a low end user who didn't know how it worked) and got a similar response - a full and frank apology for the misunderstanding and for what was said. Needless to say I didn't make many friends from it, but I can guarantee they thought about every email they sent me after that.

I earnt a bit of respect by not bending over. I think the same applies. I doubt anyone at Alienware will be sending emails like that, and I do believe that this can actually strengthen relationships between the companies.

Thanks
    Amen to that.

Thanks
    645 words of some valedictory announcement like you won an oscar.

Just 22 words that ackowledged the huge amounts of posts that took issue with your conduct in the most serious terms I have seen about a web site in the 10 years I have been following tech sites. You just barely brought yourself to scrape together "That, however, does not mean that we are dismissive of the considered criticisms made here (or elsewhere) of our actions and motives".

1 reliance on the VP from Alienware whose email shows a sussed up business man at play.

0 difference in the way that any other site tries to maintain its editorial independence than you do but you proclaim it like you've just broken Watergate.

NO apology on your part even in a little bit for the appalling lack of professionalism exhibited on your part several times in this episode - breaching copyright, breaking the standards of all written professionalism, conducting what many consider to be libelous commentary, committing an unsubstantiated attack on the independence of Wired just because a blogger there thought you handled it badly, let alone the other posts that have now surfaced where you appear to be coming from conspiracy.inc making wild accusations about people's motivations and honesty.

My main thing is; If you just had had a tiny bit of self-recognition or humility about you, you could have stepped up to the plate and said, among the 620 odd self-congratulatory words "yes we didn't get it all right, yes we got too passionate and we said some things we dearly wish we hadn't. We realise that we too owe a few apologies" I would have had some respect for this post. But not a jot. I think the fact that you can't square up to it and be stand-up says a great deal.

This looks like you trying to stop any more criticism of Hexus's conduct in business, through your forums and notably outside of them. Well I think you've done all the damage you need. The final nail in the coffin is your total lack of humility trying to proclaim this as some sort of victory without any sort of apology and that really underlines just your lack of objectivity and professionalism. Maybe a lot of your readers who follow you passionately will think that this whole episode was great - they will focus on your line on principles and integrity. But the thing is no-one has EVER suggested you shouldn't do that. Even those who have criticised you have never said that you shouldn't be objective..... But what they have pointed out is that the way you conducted yourselves was of some of the very lowest standards. And you couldn't even find a shred of humility to admit it despite all the posts on that point. Well I guess we're all done here but there are a lot of readers who are going to look at you in a very different light from now on and whatever gloss you put on it, the industry is not going to forget your conduct and behaviour in a very long time indeed.
    Last edited by Amnesia; 02-11-2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    I like Hexus. I've read it for some years, and will continue to.
    I am a proud poster here in the forums, and like being a member of the community.

But i feel the Amnesia is, by and large, correct. I wouldnt be quite so direct about it, but that doesn't change the fact.

I honestly, seriously believe that there are times that humility can say more about a person (or organisation) than any attempt to boast 'correctness'.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

miw
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree View Post
    It might, perhaps, be instructive for people to check out this blog on Wired, headed,

How so?

Well, you might think, like me, that this piece by Michael Ansaldo had some kind of ulterior motive and wonder what that motive might be.
    Won't comment about the motives, or lack of them. I think he was way off base though. The article, while on the surface it was criticising HEXUS' reaction to the first email from AW, had the subtext of saying that HEXUS reviews are just as corrupted by the market place as everybody else's. I object to this subtext.

I may have serious reservations about the opinion piece, but I've been reading HEXUS for quite a long time and, as long as you take the HEXUS standpoint (the standpoint of a person who wants good gear, isn't too fussy about image, is prepared to get their hands dirty, and is conscious (but not too conscious) of price, then HEXUS reviews are about as objective as you can get. What's more they include hard facts and performance figures so the reader can make up their own mind if they disagree with the reviewer's conclusions.

-miw

Thanks
    I've read the Wired blog and read all of the Hexus pieces and in all honesty they only serve to make Hexus look like a spoilt child throwing it's toys out of the pram.

While I'm behind Hexus on the theory; the practice from the first story to the reactionary statement by PD, the "follow up" by PD - and even more notable the mind-bendingly ridiculous accusations of Bob in the Wired blog make you look petty.

Yes it IS a good idea to read the wired blog, and then (even people who "sooo" think Hexus did a great job) take a step back and realise that we are talking about professional journalists who get paid to write articles and are paid to do PR and liaise professionally with these people. While AW's response was perhaps a little too candid, it did not warrant the response to it nor the self-righteous indignation that followed.

Hexus I'm sure will remain independent as will many of the web's review sites, but I think a little more decorum is required next time.
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

PowerSupply
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
    645 words of some valedictory announcement like you won an oscar.

Just 22 words that ackowledged the huge amounts of posts that took issue with your conduct in the most serious terms I have seen about a web site in the 10 years I have been following tech sites. You just barely brought yourself to scrape together "That, however, does not mean that we are dismissive of the considered criticisms made here (or elsewhere) of our actions and motives".

1 reliance on the VP from Alienware whose email shows a sussed up business man at play.

0 difference in the way that any other site tries to maintain its editorial independence than you do but you proclaim it like you've just broken Watergate.

NO apology on your part even in a little bit for the appalling lack of professionalism exhibited on your part several times in this episode - breaching copyright, breaking the standards of all written professionalism, conducting what many consider to be libelous commentary, committing an unsubstantiated attack on the independence of Wired just because a blogger there thought you handled it badly, let alone the other posts that have now surfaced where you appear to be coming from conspiracy.inc making wild accusations about people's motivations and honesty.

My main thing is; If you just had had a tiny bit of self-recognition or humility about you, you could have stepped up to the plate and said, among the 620 odd self-congratulatory words "yes we didn't get it all right, yes we got too passionate and we said some things we dearly wish we hadn't. We realise that we too owe a few apologies" I would have had some respect for this post. But not a jot. I think the fact that you can't square up to it and be stand-up says a great deal.

This looks like you trying to stop any more criticism of Hexus's conduct in business, through your forums and notably outside of them. Well I think you've done all the damage you need. The final nail in the coffin is your total lack of humility trying to proclaim this as some sort of victory without any sort of apology and that really underlines just your lack of objectivity and professionalism. Maybe a lot of your readers who follow you passionately will think that this whole episode was great - they will focus on your line on principles and integrity. But the thing is no-one has EVER suggested you shouldn't do that. Even those who have criticised you have never said that you shouldn't be objective..... But what they have pointed out is that the way you conducted yourselves was of some of the very lowest standards. And you couldn't even find a shred of humility to admit it despite all the posts on that point. Well I guess we're all done here but there are a lot of readers who are going to look at you in a very different light from now on and whatever gloss you put on it, the industry is not going to forget your conduct and behaviour in a very long time indeed.
    Amen to that!!

Thanks
    New users, can't live without them, can't ban them...

Thanks
    yes u can

Thanks
    For the record I think you guys went easy on them in the 57*0 laptop review.

I picked one up. The heatsink is insufficient to cool the CPU and video in mine and when I pulled it apart to replace the stock E5500 with a T7400 the heatsink was in fact only touching 1/2 the core of my X1800...

Recently i've noticed "waves" in the LCD as well and my "y" key has become quite unresponsive.. have to hit it pretty good sometimes for it to work

The period key, forward slash key, and right hand shift key (all three are next to each other) are all exceedingly small in size as well which causes a few problems which would have been avoided by offering two keyboard options: keypad or no keypad.

Oh, did I mention the fan is starting to make noises, too?

I feel duped

red
    Thanks
    A very obviously calculated move from Hexus to expose a poor move from the under pressure Matt. (tell me you never had a brainstormer on your reply?)

He'll learn from this never to expose himself in writing again!

The director has wrote in and smoothed the course, what's new?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PD HEXUS View Post
    hi chaps - again - thanks for all your support and kind words.

hi Sean, welcome to the HEXUS.community and thank you very much for your contribution.

please know that HEXUS’ experience of ABIT and SAPPHIRE Technology is quite the opposite than you own.

indeed, in the case of SAPPHIRE, and in response to HEXUS recently publishing a highly critical article on one of its products, one of its senior public-facing executives, Bill Donnelly, simply said to HEXUS "some you win and some you lose".

fyi a similar, entirely honourable, sentiment was recently forthcoming from Joost van Leeuwen, Marketing Manager for XFX in Europe when one XFX product was not received positively.

in my view, press/manufacturer experiences often come down to the ethics and quality of a particular manufacturer’s representative.

HEXUS maintains excellent relationships with both ABIT and SAPPHIRE and if you feel that there's merit in our highlighting your concerns directly to sensible people within those organisations, then feel free to ping me a PM. i'm happy to help.
    Hi PD,
    I have to agree with you there. I have gone through different marketing people at the manufacturers I deal with and they can be drastically different.

In my case 90% of my contacts are over here in the US.
    For the most part the US represnetatives are a little more egotistical (IMHO) I have had some simply ignore my e-mails and then when I ask plainly if they are intersted or not they become offended.
    It is amazing the egos involved sometimes.

To me if company is not interested in us revewing their product I am ok with that. But I would like them to plainly say that. Not to string me along or lie to me.
    A simple no thanks is, in my opinion, a very professional way of dealing with that type of situation.

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a tanget here so I will close now.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Sean

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast

Thread Information