Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farm shop directory

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Farm shop directory

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I found the veg and fruit from the local market and farm shops seems to taste much better. A lot of the stuff in supermarkets is just not ripened properly and seems to be selected more on appearance.
    That could be because time from ground to store is much less, so some of the techniques supermarkets need aren't required, like cold-storage at near zero.

Of course, getting a locally-grown banana in the UK in December might be ..... challenging.

In conjunction with using farm shops (generally a good idea, at least for taste) the other thing is to get used to season products, and concentrate on using what's in-season. It seems obvious to me, mainly 'cos in my youf we had no choice - fruit and veg came from the green-grocers (in paper bags, not plastic, I might add) and supermarkets didn't exist. For all the convenience, product range and often price-advantage of supermarkets, part of the price we pay is the implications of a storage/dustribution system that can see products taking several days, or a week, to get to store.

Also, of course, shop small and often, not weekly and keeping stuff in your own fridge for days.

If you really want taste, nothing beats coming from garden to pan, to plate, on-demand ..... providing the slugs, snails, hedgehogs, various hordes of birds, or bugs, disease and pestilence don't get to them before you do.

Thanks

Exactly right! We'll be covering all of the U.K just as soon as we have all farm shops in England listed...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fab Farm Shops View Post
    Exactly right! We'll be covering all of the U.K just as soon as we have all farm shops in England listed...
    I assume this is a response to these...

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Wonder why it's only England, and not UK-wide? I've been using farm shops and "proper" butchers a lot more recently, would be nice to discover a few more round here.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I suppose they have to start somewhere - might be extended later if its a success.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I love the Borough one...

Registered+
    Thanks

If there's one benefit of Covid, it's that I've been using my local farm shops a lot more (specifically Alder Carr Farm in Suffolk). Yes it's more expensive but the quality is superior. I never bit the bullet before due to the cost but I'm glad I now have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information