Thread: Need serious help

DSX
    Thanks

Need serious help

Hi as a new member, I would like to ask some basic questions first.

I want to setup a wireless, router network in my home.

I am currently using 2 pcs and 2 laptops. They have the operating systems stated below,

Xp home edition, Vista, 2003 SERVER (used most of the time).

my iso at the moment is talktalk but might change to some1 else in a couple of months. The max speed is supposed to be 8MB/s but they have reduced to 1MB/s cos i was having trouble (their reason was that my home is far from the exchange, even though i live near birmingham town centre). Anyway, at 1MB/s its working fine.

I am using thomson speedtouch 330 modem.

I want the pcs and laptops connected to the wireless internet simultaneously.

Please verify if the list of equipment needed to achieve this is correct.

Router, (PLEASE RECOMMED ONE. I have read linksys is cheap and good. zyxel and draytek are expensive but the best. I need a router that is cheap, yet very reliable. Doesnt loose signal, ever (ok, not most of the time), etc.).

wifi cards, software for each laptop and pc?

Please give me an idea about what might be useful. Also i read this article which says that i can get a cheap router to perform like the best.

I am currently using 2 pcs and 2 laptops. They have the operating systems stated below,

my iso at the moment is talktalk but might change to some1 else in a couple of months. The max speed is supposed to be 8MB/s but they have reduced to 1MB/s cos i was having trouble (their reason was that my home is far from the exchange, even though i live near birmingham town centre). Anyway, at 1MB/s its working fine.

Router, (PLEASE RECOMMED ONE. I have read linksys is cheap and good. zyxel and draytek are expensive but the best. I need a router that is cheap, yet very reliable. Doesnt loose signal, ever (ok, not most of the time), etc.).

Please give me an idea about what might be useful. Also i read this article which says that i can get a cheap router to perform like the best.

lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Regards,

DSX
    Thanks
    "Just looked and your modem seems to only support USB.
    In this case you will need an ADSL wireless router that will replace the modem so it will be a modem / router all in one.

The problem is that if you then decide to switch to a cable provider such as VirginMedia, you will require a cable router.
    If you only intend to be with an ADSL ISP, then no problem. "

what is the best option for me now.

get an Adsl router

Then get the linksys router as well?

obviously the cards, etc.

And if i change to another cable isp, I will have to change to cable router, wired router?

then what will i need to get me started with them.

Regards,

Thread Information