Thread: DNS/internet help!

Thanks

DNS/internet help!

Every 5 minutes, infact almost every time I visit a site that Im not currently visiting, I get server not found messages. Reloading doesnt usually help, so Ive got a habit of blaming the dns service in windows, and quite often just restart it and then it works most of the time. I do understand the service has a 30? second delay or something but waiting doesnt usually help.
    everything else seems to work fine though.

My dns server (in network settings) is the ip address for my router. Other 3 people on the network dont seem to have this problem (vista 64 and 2k machines, one of which almost identical pc including motherboard/built in NIC). For me, it happens on both 2k and vista 64bit, although on vista it is FAR more common than I remember 2k having this issue.

So, is my pc part of some huge spam botnet? or is something else more likely...?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DNS/internet help!

DNS responses should be pretty quick (what is this 30 second delay?)

It might be worth re-installing the TCP/IP stack in the Windows machine - although the fact that it affects both OS's (I assume you are dual booting?) would preclude that, and also spyware - unless yopu wee unlucky enough to have both OSs infected.

So that comes down to a possible hardware problem.

However, before doing that, try manually settingthe DNS address on the affected machine to rthe DNS server that your router points to. At the moment your router is acting as a DNS relay, so try cutting out the middleman. You could also try using openDNS (although in my experience it wasn't any faster than my ISP's DNS service, and was less reliable - I had more server not founds with it - but useful for testing)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Who is your ISP?

Try changing your DHCP details for the DNS servers in your router to OpenDNS's:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

I had loads of problem with VM's crappy response times and DDos attacked boxes, and was getting exactly what you described - changed to OpenDNS and it's all good now.

hth.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • adam_weisshaupt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K8 Diamond Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Opteron 170
      • Memory:
      • Corsair TWINXP2048-3200C2
      • Storage:
      • 2TB spread over 7 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X1800
      • PSU:
      • 620W Enermax Liberty
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • simple 19" Hyundai
      • Internet:
      • 4Mbps cable

Do you manually configure your IP address or do you have it assigned automatically upon reboot by your router via DHCP? If you are getting your IP assigned by your router then it should also set your DNS servers correctly. If you have assigned a static IP then set the DNS servers to the ones provided by your ISP [the ones your router has listed in its WAN configuration].

Thread Information