Thread: SuSE DNS/Internet issue

Large Member
    Thanks

SuSE DNS/Internet issue

I have SuSE 9.0 pro installed, with a DLink DSL-504T setup as DHCP server. I believe I have my network card configured correctly (used YaST can't really go wrong). But, I am rarely getting connections and/or page loading is very slow. i.e. I can connect to www.hexus.net fine, but it takes forever to load. If I try www.google.com, the connection times out every time, yet if I try googles IP it works fine. I can get to mozilla.org, but it's next to impossible to download firefox. The 'host' and 'ping' programs have no trouble resolving domains. I'm not a hugely experienced Linux user. Can anyone help?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Try turning off IPv6 if it is on. I'm not sure how to turn it off completely in SUSE, but you can turn it off in Firefox by going to about:config, and changing network.dns.disableIPv6 to true. That way, you can see if that makes any difference.

You could also try changing DNS servers. Again, I've never used SUSE, so I'm not sure how to do this - you could try looking through the menus, and seeing if there is a network configuration utility, or something that would let you change DNS servers. Alternatively, you could edit the file (/etc/resolv.conf, at least that is what it is for me), and change the DNS. I use 195.92.195.94.

Edit: To disable IPv6, according to something I've read on the internet i.e. I have no idea whether it would work, you can edit /etc/modules.conf directly by replacing

alias net-pf-10 ipv6
    # alias net-pf-10 off

with

# alias net-pf-10 ipv6
    alias net-pf-10 off

The way I do it on Debian is to create /etc/modprobe.conf with the contents (thanks to directhex for this):

alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

You might need to restart the network connection by typing ifdown eth0 followed by ifup eth0, or failing that, by restarting the machine.
    Last edited by mike_w; 29-10-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Large Member
    Thanks
    Cheers for that mike. In the end I added my ISP's provided name server information to the router and got linux to take that IP via DHCP, after which I restarted the NIC with /etc/rc.d/network restart. It seems strange that SuSE wouldn't take the automatically discovered name server, a bug you would think. I'd like to know what the problem is.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    I have a problem with my D-Link router, which bizzarely only affects Linux. If I use the default nameserver, I can browse the internet without a problem, but FTP doesn't work at all, so I have to use a separate nameserver - your problem might be similar.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    how are you using a seperate nameserver for ftp than for your browsing ?
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia
    how are you using a seperate nameserver for ftp than for your browsing ?
    Sorry, I didn't make that very clear - I meant a different nameserver i.e. I don't use the default nameserver at all.

Thread Information