Thread: Printer connected to Wireless Router?

Thanks

Printer connected to Wireless Router?

I have noted replies to another posting and thought I'd pose my own particular problem - I have a wireless router on which i run a desktop and laptop. I also have a laser printer, which is connected to the router via ethernet cable (so it has an ethernet connection via a network card), and I have printed the printer settings, and have the following information:

TCP/IP settings: Active - Yes, DHCP, BOOTP, RARP Enabled - No, No, No, Address Source - Manual, Address - 10.XX.XX.XXX, Netmask - 255.255.255.0, Gateway - 10.XX.XX.X, Hostname, WINS Status - LXKXXXXXX, Unregistered, WINS Server - 10.XX.X.XX

Netware settings: Active - No, Login Name - !LEX00XXXXXXXXXX, Mode - PSERVER, Network Number - 00000000

So what I need help with is: How do I print using this printer? What do I need to setup and where? Is this a print server, or am I wasting my time trying to do this? Would appreciate any help you can give!!

Cheers

Wally

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Printer connected to Wireless Router?

This should work, add driver using add printer wizard or whatever method you choose, go to ports, go to add port, add TCP/IP port and use the 10.xx port of the printer and print a test page.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    TCP/IP settings: Active - Yes, DHCP, BOOTP, RARP Enabled - No, No, No, Address Source - Manual, Address - 10.XX.XX.XXX, Netmask - 255.255.255.0, Gateway - 10.XX.XX.X, Hostname, WINS Status - LXKXXXXXX, Unregistered, WINS Server - 10.XX.X.XX

Wally
    There is no need to hide your internal IP address - it is a private class A address - not visible from the public internet.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt response, very much appreciated - I followed your advice, but no luck on printing? I believe the problem may be deeper.
    I am running both the desktop and laptop wirelessely, and the printer is connected to the router - so I am trying to print via the router so to speak (so wirelessely?). Is there anything I need to add on the router? Would having a dynamic IP affect it? Is there a setting on the printer I need to activate?
    I gues I imagined it would be simple - perhaps I need to add the printer as an allowable device on the router?
    Cheers

Splash

I see you have the printer setup with a manual ip address - it *is* an address that should be contactable from both the PC and the laptop, right? Can you open a telnet session to that ip address?

If not then we need more info, including your printserver make and model, and preferably your network setup detail (as peterb says you don't need to hide these as they're non-routable addresses from the public internets)

Registered+
    Thanks

hmm, Try pinging the IP address from your client to make sure theres basic connectivity, if that works type the printers IP in a web browser to see if the HP has a web interface, if it does there may be some ports you need to enable in there to enable TCP/IP printing as some printers can disable printing via this interface or port 9100.
    Also maybe download the admin guide and see what protocol your meant to be using, as within the TCP/IP port settings you can choose the LPR protocol rather then RAW, also you may need to specify a port queue name however the admin guide would give you the right settings.

Thread Information