Thread: Virgin Broadband keeps dropping internet connectivity.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

Virgin Broadband keeps dropping internet connectivity.

Hi

I've been having issues with my Virgin Broadband for the past month or so, it keeps randomly dropping out of internet connectivity but oddly neither the LEDs on the modem or router show this and I'm still connected my network, it also tends to fix itself after a random amount of time, mostly between 4-10 mins, though normally I try the old power off the modem and router trick, though I'm not sure if it actually fixes it or it is resolving itself as like I said it fixes itself if I leave it anyway.

I first noticed this at around January during the cold snap and snow storms and so assumed the weather was causing the drop outs but lately (the past two weeks) it's been getting worse with dropouts being more regular, till the point where it's moved from a minor inconvenience to a total pain in the arse, especially when it drops me out in the middle of a game of FIFA on the xbox. That's another thing I noticed, normally when the internet is properly down the xbox will tell me I'm disconnected from Xbox live straight away, however in this case the game will lag for a few second before dropping out yet my xbox doesn't show me as disconnected from xbox live for a good minute or so later.

I really don't think the issue is at my end but if anyone has any tips or even explanation for this I'd be happy to here them. Is this a case of Virgin oversubscribing their network?

I really don't want to phone the customer support and have some poor bored call centre worker run through the Turn off modem, pc and router for 60 seconds script with me.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Re: Virgin Broadband keeps dropping internet connectivity.

Are you on wireless?

I get the same thing (BT Unlimited 8MB) and it ranks as one of the most annoying things in my life to date.

I will watch this thread with eagerness to see if any useful comments are made.

When it happens to me, I unplug and replug in my wireless dongle. It's happened on about 3 different routers, 2 different dongles, multiple USB ports even on wireless g and wireless n and is not specific to OS (happened on XP, Vista and now 7). Furthermore, the BT men came round and relaid the copper cable running to the house (routine replacement because the old one was, well, old). The sole constant is random dropping out of Internet connection at any time it pleases

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

Re: Virgin Broadband keeps dropping internet connectivity.

It happens on my wired connections and my friends wireless.
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thread Information