Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't use router?

Thanks

Can't use router?

I suggested to my Dad a short while ago that it would be useful to use a router to split out broadband connection between our 3 computers. But he told me that our broadband "package" type wouldn't let us use a router. His source was this:

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info....ction=packages

It says broadband basic won't let us connect more than 1 PC. Now, I thought that a router would work on any connection. Is this really what they're saying, or are they saying you just don't get a free router with that package?

Thanks
    I'm unsure TBH, but i dont see why you couldnt use a router anyway ? Unless they wont let you change MAC addresses (if that is in use on BT)

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    As far as the ISP is concerned the router will be the PC. It will hold the IP address assigned to you by BT. The 3 PCs on your inside network will be on a private network using private IP addressing. These addresses will be translated by the router into the one that the ISP will see.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    To add to that I would say go to Zen for $24.99 per month. A 1 month contract so that you are not tied to one ISP for a year (read BTs terms and conditions) and unlimited download. If you are using 3 PCs and are reasonably frequent users 1Gb won't last you. 15 Gb probably won't either, especially if you are a gamer. Zen helpline won't charge you 50p per minute either.

http://www.zen.co.uk

If you are a first time connection there is a £50 set up charge. But you will reap the benefits of a much better service provider and save in the long run. If you end up spending a couple of hours talking to customer support with BT it will cost you over £50 anyway. Which is highly possible in the course of the year that you are stuck with them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVF500
    To add to that I would say go to Zen for $24.99 per month. A 1 month contract so that you are not tied to one ISP for a year (read BTs terms and conditions) and unlimited download. If you are using 3 PCs and are reasonably frequent users 1Gb won't last you. 15 Gb probably won't either, especially if you are a gamer. Zen helpline won't charge you 50p per minute either.

http://www.zen.co.uk

If you are a first time connection there is a £50 set up charge. But you will reap the benefits of a much better service provider and save in the long run. If you end up spending a couple of hours talking to customer support with BT it will cost you over £50 anyway. Which is highly possible in the course of the year that you are stuck with them.
    I think that going to somewhere other than BT is out of the question TBH - my dad works for BT.

You say about capping. We currently have the basic package (which is why I'm asking) at 1 Gb/month. As far as I know, we haven't exceeded 1Gb/month yet, even though I'm on CS:S a lot and general internetting a lot of the time. It's also a work line for my Dad, so maybe BT just haven't told us.

I don't know what MAC addresses are. If possible, I'd like a simple yes or no as to whether we can share our BT basic internet connection with more than 1 computer.
    Last edited by ajbrun; 05-01-2005 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks
    Simply, yes. Give the router the IP address assigned to you by BT and plug your PCs into the router. Follow any instructions that come with the router.

Less simply. The router would hold the IP address assigned by BT. BT wouldn't even see your 3 PCs as they exist on a seperate network. They would in essence be invisible. Traffic would pass between the router and the BT exchange. The router would then identify where on the local network where the traffic needed to be delivered to. Namely whichever of your 3 PCs has the session for the packet that it is currently reading.

MAC is Media Access Control address. Also known as the 'burned in address' This is a unique hexadecimal number that a hardware device such as a network interface card is assigned at manufacture. Literally burned into the processor. There are 7 layers of networking that handle the various parts of a data session (in simple terms). At the layer at which a network interface card works, the local network, it will be identified on the network by it's MAC address. It is a physical address. IP addressing operates at a higher layer and is a logical address. It can be assigned and changed pretty much at will depending on the network architecture.

Has that helped or confused?

Thanks
    I think it's helped. So basically, I should connect the router as if I was using any other broadband package?

I thought the above was true anyway. So how come on their site, BT has put an "X" by "connect more than 1 PC" if your can do it anyway?

Thanks
    I sent BT an email, just to be on the safe side, and they replied with this:

Thank you for your email about BT Broadband Basic.

I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you have experienced.

BT Broadband Basic is intended for one computer as the software provided allows for this to be done. BT Broadband Basic does not support the facilities of a router. If you wish to purchase a router for BT Broadband Basic, BT will not be able to provide any technical assistance in providing this service

I hope this information has been useful to you.
    I thought it was contradictory. In the 1st sentence of the main paragraph, it suggests that you can't use a router, but in the last sentence, it seems to say that you can, just without any technical assistance.

What do you make of that?

Thanks
    Have you tried googling this? It's amazing what comes up

stick "bt broadband basic" router into Google and the first link is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/prodinfo.asp?id=924 which states:
    Quote Originally Posted by adslguide
    Wires Only: Yes. You can use your own router or modem.
    The helpdesk won't support you if you're using any other ADSL hardware from the provided one, hence what they say in their email, but other equipment will still work

Quote Originally Posted by adslguide
    This package requires comes with a free Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem, which includes special diagnostics for use by help desk. Other ADSL hardware will work, but will not be supported.
    HTH

Thanks
    For further confirmation the guy in the thread here: http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=5610 seems to have it working fine with a router If you do a Google Groups search with the query I mentioned above you'll see numerous others have it working fine with a modem as well.

Thanks
    OK, thanks. I'm growing evermore increasingly confident that it'll work with a router.

I'm planning on getting this one:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48449

BTW - I have previously seen the "Wires Only: Yes. You can use your own router or modem." quote. I'd just rather BT would actually say "yes you can use your own router, be we won't help you", instead of just saying you can't connect more than one PC. That makes it sound impossible, and VERY misleading.

Thanks
    IIRC they supply a PCI modem with the product, meaning you can't connect more than one PC with the product as supplied. If you wish to attach your own hardware then they won't support you - you'll be on your own with any problems.

Thanks
    I was on BT Broadband, the one above the basic package shown in that link and I switched to a router with no trouble at all.

All you need is the VPI/VCI number, which, if iirc is "0,38", then use the info you've been given by BT for use with your normal modem and you'll be connected.

The user name is "YOURFIRSTNAME.YOURLASTNAME@btbroadband.com" with no password.... leave everything else as standard and you'll be on.

I'm running a wireless router with 4 port switch, set to always on and apart from 2 short periods of an hour or so in the last year, I've not had any trouble and its never been the router that was the cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    for the record: BT ONLY give technical help if there is one PC on it....soon as you mention a router, they wont help ya.

So if ya DO get ADSL trouble you unplug the router (which you'd do anyway to check it wasnt faulty) and THEN ring 'em

MAC address: its the built in address that all network cards have. Each is different. Some ISP's identitfy your PC by that code, not your IP address

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    for the record: BT ONLY give technical help if there is one PC on it....soon as you mention a router, they wont help ya.

So if ya DO get ADSL trouble you unplug the router (which you'd do anyway to check it wasnt faulty) and THEN ring 'em

MAC address: its the built in address that all network cards have. Each is different. Some ISP's identitfy your PC by that code, not your IP address
    in more detail, a MAC address is used to get an ip address - your card (in this case router) sends out a message saying 'hello, my mac address is such&such, what do you have for me?', and gets a message back saying 'your IP address is w.x.y.z'. home equipment tends to hand out addresses at random, ignoring the MAC, but for static IP addresses, what is often done is for them to configure their end to always give the same IP to a specific MAC. if that MAC changes, then you lose your specific IP.

Thanks
    I'm VERY confused now. I replied back to the above email, and they sent me one back. Basically, they now said it WON'T work.

Unfortunately it is not possible to network with BT Broadband Basic therefore the router will not be compatible.

It's likely we're going to be getting a router anyway, so I might buy a router now, and when our broadband goes (because of my dads work), we'll try and get a wires only package. The if the router works with basic, then great, if now, fine.

Thread Information