Thread: Several problems... in different places

Thanks

Several problems... in different places

Guys, been having a few problems and need some help.

First off, I was setting up a wireless router at a guys house where he already had a BB connection through a BT Modem/router. This BT bit of kit wasn't really what I'd called a router as it has one ethernet connection and one USB connection.

If I connected it to the desktop PC with the USB, I could get online but not get the router working through the ethernet conn. If I connected it using the ethernet to the PC I had no way of connecting the router...

What I'd like to do is have the modem connected to the routers uplink port with the PC connected to one of the routers 4 LAN ports... any ideas?

Next... different house, different probs.

They have BB through AOL with a USB modem.

We tried to connect a wireless ADSL gateway using an ethernet link from the desktop PC.

I could log into the router and it could synch with the exchange and we even were online for a short while. We had the wireless working with full net access on both machines.

Then AOL kicked in and opened its damn AOL version of IE and everything stopped. On the main PC AOL was trying to dial in and then disonnected... I couldn't get back into the router and the lappy lost its wireless connection...A site survey on it showed no signals... even though it had a profile set up with the SSID and WEP keys in it that had worked just now... I had to leave then as it was very.very late and his kids needed to get to bed.

The guy there called me this morning to say his lappy picked up the wifi signal this morning but there was no net connection. AOL helpdesk gave the necessary settings I need for the gateway but will offer no more support, so I'm needing help!

I'm pretty sure that I need to remove all trace of AOL from their PC tyo stop it trying to dial out all the time, but I need confirmation on this before I go and try and uninstal what, through my experience, is the most embedded, nasty bit of software on the planet.

ANd lastly... want to try out a seperate ADSL Modem and router set-up at home... I'm thinking the process is to configure the modem, then disco the modem'd ethernet from the PC and plug it into the routers uplink and then configure the router, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Which router are they looking to use as some hardware has difficulty working with AOL. The best thing to do is check to see if the equipment will work and also see if the following has any hints or pointers ;

http://aolsvc.aol.com/broadband/home..._links_faq.adp

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Cheers Wild, had a browse of that, its a little help but mainly US based...

I don't think its compatability on that one as I had it working... I reckon I've got to get AOL of the desktop PC... I used AOL when I very first went online years ago, it was a total sod to wipe off, anyone know if its any easier now?
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    swap the wireless router for a wireless DSL router might make life easier.

It sounds like you have a speedtouch DSL router ( the BT one ) - can you connect to the web interface by connecting an ethernet cable to it ? (http://10.0.0.138 I think )
    you'll need to activate the DHCP server on it.

when you connect the wireless router to it , the WAN side of the wireless router shoudl pick up an address from the speedtouch which would be NAT'd to your wireless clients.

the disadvantage of this is that you have a double NAT situation , which can cause problems with certain things ( MSN file transfer , VPN's to name a couple )
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Cheers Moby, gave a Linksys tech support a call.. big UP to Linksys.. cos their tech support was superb!

Told them about the BT modem/router to wireless router jobby, and they had the answer sorted straight off. What I have to do is configure the modem to connect to ADSL, with the ethernet connected to the PC and the USB not used at all.

Then connect PC to router, change router IP to something other than the same as the BT modem, then hook the modem to the router and tell the router where the gateway is.

If I hit NAT problems, disable it in either one of the two bits and it should be fine. Reckon I'll disable it in the wireless router as it might get finickity about an incoming from conn from the modem otherwise.

The Linksys bods also advised me about the AOL thing, his response? "Tear the arse out of AOL on that machine... get rid of it all, then set up as normal".

That I can do, done it at home and am fine with that.

ANd for the last one, setting up a wireless router with a proper ADSL modem, again not a prob, just change the IP of one of the bits and then network into them to get them running, diabling the NAT in the modem this time round...

Sounds easy, don't it?

We'll see tonight!

btw, Moby, this is all taking place in Brackley, so if you and that shaggy haired network guru want to come and lend a hand....

Thanks
    fun - I'm working through a similar problem, but it's a dlink adsl router giving me grief.
    dlink uk won't support it - but an aussie dlink engineer who I e-mailled helped me sort it out (seems to work more or less fine - but the RIP support on dlink is rubbish, doesn't work correctly) whereas the linksys is fine.

Thanks
    Well, got everything sorted last night EXCEPT the router/adsl modem one I mentioned in my last post.

Nothing to do with me, this one, BT haven't sorted the line out properly yet, so the modem isn't synching with the exchange... no DSL connection light, so no point me trying to get the router to connect through the modem as there's no connection to see!

I tried to do this on Monday, went through all the pain of following the directions to take the faceplate off the socket, use the text socket, use different filters and even a different modem, all with no joy. BT were informed by Nildram there was a problem and they then sorted it from the exchange.... so they said... but obviously not...

Thread Information