Thread: XP/98 Network

Thanks

Question XP/98 Network

With the help of Deckard (thanks again ), I've managed to partially set up a network. Basically, I made the network adapter automatically assign an IP address, and I made the workgroup the same and the computer names different.

I have two machines - XP and 98. XP is connected to the router via ethernet, and 98 via USB. Both are sharing the internet successfully (98 is a bit slow, and sometimes disconnects though).

I'm able to go into "my network places" on my XP machine and see the 98 machine's printer and shared files etc, so I know that side of things works. However, when I go into "network neighborhood" on the 98 machine, it shows nothing.

Anyone know why?

Thanks
    Have you installed File & Print Sharing on the XP machine?

Is the XP wirewall blocking anything, ie: Client Announce & Browse services?

Are you 'logging in' to the Windows 98 machine with the appropriate 'Microsoft Client for TCP/IP networks'? I'm not sure, but IIRC, if you just tap escape at the Win98 login, file sharing etc won't work properly. You won't need to validate to a domain (cos you won't have a domain controller), but you must still 'log on' to Windows.

When you say you see nothing in 98's NN, do you mean you don't even see the XP machine's icon in the Workgroup, or you just don't see any resources available? By default, WinXP has no visible shares (they are all $'d) - you have to create them.

Out of interest, how have you linked the two PC's together? I'm presuming your router has a built in hub, and both PC's are connected to that with NIC's?

HTH,
    S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 29-01-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Blue, if he's got the router I'm thinking of, then it's USB for the 98 machine.

I'll have to admit to only having had the mearest of dabbles with USB networking before ripping the damn thing out and lobbing it as far up the garden as I could.

aj, you've got a proper router/gateway on order haven't you? Or am I confusing you with someone else on here who was asking about routers/gateways?

If it IS you, I'd just hang on until you have your new kit in place, things will be MUCH easier then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    * I've tried this with all firewalls off, so that can't be the problem.
    * File and printer sharing is on on both machines
    * When I open NN in 98, there's only an icon that says "Entire Network". If I open that, a message comes up that says it can't find any other computers in that workgroup.

* It is USB to the 98 machine.
    * Deckard - I think I know the thread you're refering to. Someone was asking which of 2 routers to buy. Mine (the SAMR-4114) was one of them. I basically gave them a short mini review saying that I thought it was a good router. I also said that I was about to attempt networking for the 1st time. It was then that I got a surprise PM from you telling me how to do it .

On a slightly side note, would anyone know why the 98 machine (USB) is having connection problems, whilst mine (ethernet) is fine?

Thanks
    So, if I've got this right: Ur XP machine is connected to the 4144 via a NIC/Ethernet, and the 98 machine is connected to the 4144 via a USB cable?

My immediate reaction would've been that perhaps the router isn't supposed to act as a hub between the two devices connected on different ports, but this obviously isn't the case as you can access resources one way.

I too, will admit that I have next to no experience with USB networking.
    Sorry I can't help more.. If I think of anything, I'll let you know..

S.

Thanks
    Yup - you seem to have got everything correct (except the name of the router - 4114!).

TBH, I'd have thought that if it could access it one way, it should be able to do it the other way to. Maybe not. There;s probably just one really obvious setting that I'd have missed though .

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    iirc, the USB connection is like a spoof NIC... so double check its settings to ensure you have file sharing enabled...

Like you say, if its going one way then it HAS to be working...

I reckon you just need to go over everything in 98 and make sure its all configured properly. Most likely culprit is file sharing... but sadly, my drug and drink fuelled lifestyle has wiped all but the vaguest of memories of how I did it in 98... (the operating system, not the year...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    File sharing is DEFINATLY enabled. I know so because before it was enabled, you couldn't choose if you want to share a file of not. Now the option is here, so I know it's enabled.

Registered+
    Thanks
    We had a similar problem at work where the win 98 machine could not see the file shares.

It was resolved by switching on Netbios over TCP/IP. The machines in question were not connected to the Internet so security concerns did not matter as much.

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • eBuyer Extra Value 500W!
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
    When I first started a network (a crossover cable between a 98 machine and a 2k machine) I had the same problem as you.

Create a user with the same credentials (i.e. username and password) on the XP machine (was 2k for me). Worked fine then.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Ahhh, there's nothing quite like resurrecting a seven month old thread is there? Lol
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):