Thread: Improving wireless signal.

RDL
    Thanks

Improving wireless signal.

I have just added my third PC (see sig) into my wireless network, and am having a bit of a problem. The router (Netgear, DG834) is connected to one computer via an ethernet connection, which is downstairs. The other computer has a WG311 v2 Wifi card, and is downstairs.

These two worked fine, but when I added the third, with another WG311 v2
    upstairs, problems started to arise. The other two are still fine, but I'm having problems with the new PC. On windows wifi networking it says signal strength is excellent, and I'm getting 54mbps, however on the Netgear program the Signal Strength is 60% and the connection is medium. For the first few days this was fine, and it still is for interenet browsing etc. but every time I play an online game I get lag and get disconnected. The strange thing is, this didn't happen the first few days, and I copied files over the network for about 2 days straight without an interuption. I will follow this up with a diagram of the house (very rough, and only showing the rooms which matter).

But basically, what can I do to improve this, as it is very annoying?
    AMD 64 3500+ | Asus A32 SLi Deluxe | 2 x Corsair 512MB PC4400 Overclockers RAM| 1 x XFX 6800GT | Nexus Vantec Fan Controller | 1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor )Boot + backup & 2x 200gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (RAID 0) | Plextor 716A Black 16 x16±,x4+ Dual Layer DVD | Tagan 480W | ThermalRight XP-120 with Delta Screamer | 2x120mm YS TECH| Black Akasa Eclipse 62 | L1980U 19" TFT 12ms 500:1 DVI Ultra Slim Black & Silver | Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound| Razer Diamondback Mouse | ExactMat mousemat | Black Cherry Keyboard | WinXP Pro

Thanks
    Tried changing the channel?

RDL
    Thanks
    Can't say I have. Will give it a go. Although now I come to think of it I think it could have possibly been on channel 11 before when it worked, and now it is on channel 5, so that could be the problem.
    AMD 64 3500+ | Asus A32 SLi Deluxe | 2 x Corsair 512MB PC4400 Overclockers RAM| 1 x XFX 6800GT | Nexus Vantec Fan Controller | 1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor )Boot + backup & 2x 200gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (RAID 0) | Plextor 716A Black 16 x16±,x4+ Dual Layer DVD | Tagan 480W | ThermalRight XP-120 with Delta Screamer | 2x120mm YS TECH| Black Akasa Eclipse 62 | L1980U 19" TFT 12ms 500:1 DVI Ultra Slim Black & Silver | Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound| Razer Diamondback Mouse | ExactMat mousemat | Black Cherry Keyboard | WinXP Pro

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I'm having the same prob, shows signal as 60% but the connection is only 26%. Tried all the different frequencies but thats as good as I am going to get without a hardware solution to boost it. My PC is also upstairs so it looks like these wireless boxes signals go outover and downover no probs but dont push out to much up over.

Another thing with mine is that I dont have a cable to put the modem up on my desk, it sits in the usb port direct behing the PC so it may actually be getting interference from the fans etc inside the machine.

RDL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferral
    I'm having the same prob, shows signal as 60% but the connection is only 26%. Tried all the different frequencies but thats as good as I am going to get without a hardware solution to boost it. My PC is also upstairs so it looks like these wireless boxes signals go outover and downover no probs but dont push out to much up over.

Another thing with mine is that I dont have a cable to put the modem up on my desk, it sits in the usb port direct behing the PC so it may actually be getting interference from the fans etc inside the machine.
    I have also tried the different frequencies and it didn't make any difference. So you are saying that if I put my router upstairs, it would make a difference? I was thinking I might just shell out for another card. It would mean I could put the router in a more centralised area, and hopefully signal to all computers would be better.

Thread Information