Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: internet going REALLY slow at home... router reset will fix it.

Thanks
    I am hesitant to beleive the problem is wholly attributed to Azureus. This problem happens often even when Azursus is not running.
    Of course it might just be that your router doesn't have the guts to handle a very large number of simultaneous connections, in which case you have a problem, cos thats how Bittorrent works.
    It might not all be azureurs(or whatever that things calld, most annoying name evah!), it might just be your router not liking more then say 20 simultaneous inbound and outbound connections.

Do this test if you will, on all the computers that use the router, when its going normally, goto start>run and type in "cmd".

Then type in netstat -n, that'll bring up a list of IP addresses your connected to. Copy down the number of IP's your connected to(and by that I mean, mabye 15 or 20, not the IP's themselves).

Once you've done that on all the computers connected to the router, wait untill the slow thing happens, then do it again.

Do this for maybe 5 times for both slow and fast. Compare the numbers, if the number of connections is considerably higher every time your internet is crawling along, then your problem is your router.

Apoligies if you've already done that, but its something that might help if you havn't.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    You can always limit the number of connections in the preferences...
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Registered+
    Thanks
    managed to borrow a Netgear router from work today (WGR614) - going to test with this over the weekend...

Thanks
    I very much doubt it's Azureus causing the problem, so to whoever said it was that is most probably very wrong.

In my opinion find out what's going on, if there's a dodgy process. Go into command prompt and do a netstat. To find the options just do "netstat ?" and it'll list all the flags available to see what you require. It could also be something up with the router, it's always best to update it with the latest firmware and check it's all configured correctly

Thanks
    I still think it'd be worth following my IP comparrison idea, it'll take a while, but just do it a few times over the next few days, and it fairly easily tells you if the problem is too many connections.

Thanks
    It's not Azureus itself (but it could be the way you use it), it's the nice presents people sometimes send you even when you don't ask for them. SHOCKING!!!

Yeah, I was playing on the freeway and this damn car hit me! I don't understand what his problem was. I was just minding my own business, and...

Thanks
    Oh god, stop with the moronic posts. Learn something about Bit Torrent before you go making what are frankly idiotic comments about it.

Torrents check everything you get sent against a hash code, if the thing doesn't match then it gets rejected and most clients will ban the IP. So Virii and trojans can't be surrupstiously spread using bit torrent.

Stop acting like an annoying fool.

Thanks
    Before we determine who the real idiot is here, let me get this straight. You are saying that there is no way to get a virus or any other malware using bit torrent? Wanna bet?

I may be an idiot but I don't know what's worse, your spelling of the word surreptitiously or your poor use of it.

If you can't get anything using it why would they ban an IP for it? Also, what CLIENT bans IPs?

Do you not like annoying fools because you look down on them or because you hate the competition?

Thanks
    It would be nigh on impossible to spread a virus using a torrent, due to the hash key that stops anything that doesn't match its hash being used. People can't just magic anything they want onto your system using Bit Torrent.

You ban an IP for sending stuff that fails the hash check because its useless data, if you kept downloading useless data from them it slows the swarm down, it makes your download longer, so its useless. Thats why you ban the IP. Shadows Client, along with uTorrent(AFAIK) both ban clients, I think ABC does as well.

What I dislike from you is the spreading of mindless fiction, when you make it fairly clear you know little about the of bit torrent or P2P as a whole.

Thanks
    StormPC, you yourself are condescending towards people on these forums so that's a rather hypocritical post. Just stop carrying on the immature discussion, it's not going to get anyone anywhere.

Usually there's a statistics page with graph showing bandwidth usage, if not you could get one from somewhere I assume. Use one and just as the download / upload rates become slow, check the graph and see whether the net usage has stooped low or increased. If it's increased then I imagine there's something using your net connection, if it stoops low then it could be possibly due to a bad microfilter or a numerous amount of different possibilities.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specofdust
    It would be nigh on impossible to spread a virus using a torrent, due to the hash key that stops anything that doesn't match its hash being used. People can't just magic anything they want onto your system using Bit Torrent.

You ban an IP for sending stuff that fails the hash check because its useless data, if you kept downloading useless data from them it slows the swarm down, it makes your download longer, so its useless. Thats why you ban the IP. Shadows Client, along with uTorrent(AFAIK) both ban clients, I think ABC does as well.

What I dislike from you is the spreading of mindless fiction, when you make it fairly clear you know little about the of bit torrent or P2P as a whole.
    Wrong, if there's a virus within the actual content that the torrent relates to then you'll download a virus willingly. StormPC isn't necesarrily talking about data being passed on the same port as bit-torrent.

Thanks
    Yeah, if its in the actual content. But most people have the sense to virus scan finished items. Since he said:

it's the nice presents people sometimes send you even when you don't ask for them.
    I took that to mean he was implying people could send randon data(with Virii), or replace data from a tracker with a Virus. It would be extremely hard to do this, and isn't something that I've ever heard of happening. You can request data, that you think is something, and it can be something else, this I won't deny.

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Surely you are only likely to see viruses in a downloaded torrent if the content is of the dodgy nature alluded to earlier in this thread.

I see a lot of reputable demo sites have switched to torrents recently, my copy of the Serious Sam 2 demo was obtained via torrent, I forget which site I got it from(I think I got the link from here ). I beleive for the site in question it is a great way of moving the load from their servers after the initial rush download, and keeping the file in circulation. I only wish Fileplanet would move with the times and offer a torrent rather than their annoying method they have now.

As the sites themselves are reputable I would not expect to receive anything containing a virus and if the chance existed it would be the same chance of downloading the file from the same site via traditional methods, i.e. not a fault of bittorrent itself.

Getting back to the original topic after the derail, having used Azureus myself I don't find any bandwidth hogging and have played games whilst it does it's job (although usually i only download small files of a mb or two). I do find it's a bit of a memory hog sometimes though. That said I use a dedicated pc as a gateway and not a router.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specofdust
    You can request data, that you think is something, and it can be something else, this I won't deny.
    Which happens all the time with P2P. Case closed.

Thanks
    I'm with StormPC on this one, it does happen.

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Which happens all the time with P2P. Case closed.
    Still would depend on where you are getting the torrent from though, would it not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information