Thread: Wireless in the workplace... ?

Banned
    Thanks

Wireless in the workplace... ?

In our office we have a 16 port switch connected to our ADSL router.

We have 15 computers connected to the network in the office, one being a laptop.

Another room within the office is being built and a computer will need to go in there pretty much straight away. Now because the switch is maxed out, the options I see are buying another small switch to connect to the router, buying a single larger switch for the router, or buying a new (Wireless) router and connecting our existing switch to that.

I decided the best and most economical choice is to buy a new wireless router, because not only will this enable us to get the new computer connected easily without running new wires around, it will also mean that the laptop can become wireless, and any new computers can be connected wirelessley straight away.

Are there any flaws in this theory?

And next, because it is a workplace and is expanding, i'm guessing buying 125mbs wireless equipment is the best option?

I was looking at this for the router:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=87423

And either this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=94367
    Or this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=81058
    As the PCI cards for the computers (Both matching the 125mbps the router offers)

So, are these choices worthwhile or can you see any problems I may be bringing myself setting this up?

Thanks.

Thanks
    I'd hate to have to rely on a wireless connection for work. The nice thing about a cable is that when its connected , most of the time it stays that way.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Taz
    Thanks
    • Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 500GB (PCIe) + 1TB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS550M 550W Hybrid
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 34" Asus Designo Curve MX34VQ UWQHD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350
    I agree with Moby. Most companies that I visit as part of my job only provide wireless for adhoc visitors to connect to the Internet rather than for LAN use.

The chances of getting 125Mb/S on a wireless network are virtually zero. Also, I think you need a wireless bridge rather than a router if you want to connect equipment to your wired network (note that some wireless routers can act as a bridge).

Wireless could be useful for people wanting to go out onto the Internet only but is less useful for LAN use. You could buy a small switch for the new office and wire the new PC into it. Then you could buy a wireless bridge and plug it into the main router (into the port the laptop is using) to provide some wireless capability. That way you get a robust LAN and wireless capability for adhoc use.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    I agree.. and another problem with wireless is the bandwidth is contended. So the larger your office grows, the more bogged down the wireless traffic will get. Wireless is a good commondity but its by no means an ethernet replacement, and you'll only have to rebuild the network again when your office hits a point where it needs servers to help manage it..

Personally I'd start making long term plans for the future, a scaleable ethernet based network, it may require a few extra pennies, but it'll stop repeatitive network 'patching' to accomadate growth and save money in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks. I hear what you're saying about not depending on it, I can see what problems that will present.

Thing is, there is absolutely no more space in this building for any more computers so the expansion here is limitited for quite a while (Although we do plan to relocate to larger premises) so surely buying the wireless kit now to accomadate the two computers would be fine, and then purchasing the larger switches when the time to relocate comes.

We are still basing our network on a Workgroup because it is so small, so obviously the new network in a new premisies will be a whole different ballgame. So we aren't really involving much of the current set up with that.

The office size is not very large so the range is not much of an issue, and the only traffic will be shared files and access to a few applications which run from databases on the server.

Surely using the wireless kit for only the two computers (And possibly just one more in the future) is fine?

After that we will need to relocate to a better building.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    connecting a wireless access point to your current switch would suffice. At least you could carry this over to your new network whenever you move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)
    I would definately be concerned about security. We have wireless access in our office, but its routed externally to provide direct internet access - you can't get to the LAN. To get back in you have to use one of our external access methods, such as VPN. Of course, you can secure wireless networks, but all you need is an accidental misconfiguration (that never happens of course..) and your network is wide open.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    The chances of getting 125Mb/S on a wireless network are virtually zero.
    I'd say absolutely zero with current kit, you'd get nothing even approaching that speed.

I'd also like to add my voice to those with security concerns, adding wireless to a wired LAN opens a whole big can of worms in the security department.

Banned
    Thanks
    Surely using WAP and WEP will tackle this?

In the end (Because of the urgency of this) we took a trip to a retailer and purchased a Netgear DG834GT Modem/Router which came with a USB Adapter (For the laptop), and a WG311T PCI Card for my computer.

I'll post what speeds i'm getting, and if it drops much/at all. If it does i'll just have to buy a bigger switch and run some wires through.

Also, will the fact that the router will be in a small cupboard type thing next to a rack with a couple of servers and a UPS degrade performance? Electrical interference?... The distance between the router and anything connected will be 25meters max.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Run cables for static machines. It's worth it in the long run.

We have a couple of Wireless access points at work, but the only people who use them are Me and another of the IT staff, and visitors.

Just had our offices recabled beacuse we're shifting around... It's all rather extravagant but worth it
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    Surely using WAP and WEP will tackle this?
    The merits of WPA and WEP have been debated long and hard here. Basically they offer some privacy, but not much security. WPA is the better of the two. WEP will help protect against a casual flyby connecting to your network, or eavesdropping the link, but offers little protection against a directed and determined attack. You should change the encryption key often (daily) if you want to ensure that your data is safe, and there are other Sy techniques that you should emply to protect your network. You could set up a RADIUS server to do authentication for you - but you are adding even more to your admin load.

Bottom line, bite the bullet, do a survey of the office, decide where you need cable outlets, double the figure and then run in cat 5 in ducting back to a central patch panel. Might cost a bit more initially, but will be worth it for peace of mind! (And if you run it in ducting, you can always pull it out later and replace with cat 6 or fibre if you ever need to.)
    Last edited by peterb; 16-12-2005 at 01:10 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)
    I would second that. Wireless sounds attractive, but there are hidden costs, especially in security and maintenance that may bite you later.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Never use WEP for anything you want to be remotely secure, its breakable in 10-15 minutes easily.

Thread Information