Thread: Wireless Connection - please help!

Thanks

Wireless Connection - please help!

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me as am having a tough time setting up my wireless ADSL connection at home.

I am currently connected to Pipex ADSL via a normal broadband modem.

I have one computer in the house (a normal desktop one) and need to be able to use this downstairs (where there isn't a phone socket).

So what I have bought is a Linksys WAG54GS modem router and a Linksys network adaptor. The router is connected to the phone line.

I have installed it all and put in the right VCI codes (0,38) but I can't get the set up to work. The adaptor talks wirelessly to the router fine, but the router can't access the internet.

When I connect to the internet via my old USB modem (i.e. unplug the router from the phone line), the adaptor shows I am connected to the internet. Am very confused now.

Having gone through all the settings I am really frustrated as I can't work it out.

Can someone help me out here?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Brad

Thanks
    Just got a Linksys router today....

There should be 2 discs with it, grab the Router Setup Wizard disc, set up your modem etc (no router at this point). Follow the software through, and it gets your current internet settings, then transfers them to the router once you connect it. Worked first time for me on Blueyonder and a WRK54G router.

Registered+
    Thanks
    What other setting does the router ask for in relation to the ADSL connection and did you know them all?

Does the modem-router synchronise? This is normally denoted by a green light on the modem-router, if it is flashing or red then it is not synchronised.
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for all your help.

Some more info:

The router has my pipex user name and password on the setup screen (but no actual information for connecting to pipex that I can see).

Tried disonnecting and reconnecting. The router lights up that the wireless connection is on, but not the dsl or internet lights. No lights are flashing and the 3 lights are green - but no ADSL or intenent light on.

I think i'm using the correct sockets on the router - the usual line in plus an ethernet port into my pcs ethernet port (however as I want it to be wireless, I need to get rid of this cable connection).

Also, when i install the set up for the router, the bit where it checks for internet access always comes back "unable to detect".

The router is definately plugged into the phone line the same as my normal modem (am using the same lead to double check).

i have changed the settings to Dynamic as apparently Pipex change their ip address each time and need to obtain it from them

The linksys gateway is now showing on the connections screen as connected but with the net status still down and no recived or sent data.

Do I need to add settings to this (tcp etc.) to link it to the Pipex account?

Any help here would be really helpful as i'm tearing my hair out trying to get it working (and i've not got much left!).

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    What other setting does the router ask for in relation to the ADSL connection and did you know them all?

Does the modem-router synchronise? This is normally denoted by a green light on the modem-router, if it is flashing or red then it is not synchronised.
    Hi

The router also asks for host name and domain name (?) and for DHCP info (again ?)/.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not having a Pipex account I don't know but it might be an idea to ring the custome rsupport and ask what settings they recommend. Oh and DHCP is Direct Host Client Protocall, basically its just how the IPs etc. are handed out.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    With the PC off, and you plug in the router to a phone line, should the DSL light light up?

Registered+
    Thanks
    Difficult for me to know as I have a Belkin router (with it’s own problems!). There are two lights on mine related to ADSL. One shows the phone line status and one shows ADSL status. Even without any ADSL settings my router has both lights showing green. If either of these light isn’t green (on mine) then the problem is with the phone line, ISP, cables or microfilter. Try unplugging everything else from the phone line apart from the router and try using a different cable and microfilter.

My router asks for Connection Type (e.g. PPPoA), username, password, VPI/VCI, Encapsulation and MTU. Also I can specify static or dynamic WAN IP address and DNS servers.

As RavenNight says, DHCP is only relevant to your internal network.

If your router only has settings for VPI/VCI, username and password in relation to the ADSL then I can’t really see how you could make a mistake.

Have you tried the Router Setup Wizard disc as Clstrphbc_donut suggested?

--Edit
    Here are all the settings you should need:
    https://www.mypipex.net/solo/support...connection.php
    Last edited by Anders; 16-07-2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Hexus Trust

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for the help.

The setup disc just installs the router (with built in modem) and goes through the set up process until it comes back with the message that it can't find the internet through it.

Have tried unplugging all the other bits and still no good.

Thanks
    Sorry if I'm going over what you've done, but connect up the modem directly to your PC so the router is NOT connected in any way shape or form (eg before you got the router), then run the disk. That grabs your internet settings, then when the software tells you to connect the router up, it transfers the internet settings to the router.

Honestly though, if it's anything like mine, it will be user error because that software was faultless for me.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Someone here must have a LinkSys router to comment on this, but in my experience the router should be able to detect the phone line and ADSL (i.e. synchronise) without any settings. I don’t know what happens if you put in incorrect details though. It might be worth removing all the settings and starting again. Sorry not to be more help. As I said all the settings you need are at the end of that link (just press "skip login" if it asks).

Perhaps some screen shots of the ADSL router setup screens?
    Hexus Trust

Thread Information