Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netword driver update help pls

Thanks

Netword driver update help pls

Im trying to update my network card drivers, I play alot of online games and my connection always drops Ive tried everything else so just want to try and update as my driver is dated 24/11/2004 !! Version 4.6.6.0

the problem is I don't know what driver I need, it says its a nvidia nforce 4
    so I went to nvida's webiste and downloaded the lastest platform driver but that didnt update anything as its still showing the same driver.

I also don't know if I should change the configuration options i.e checksum overload etc (currently disabled) and all the other options in that field

I'm a bit scared as I don't know what to do or what to change?

any help or self help guides would be great.

thx in advance so much

Thanks
    I'd leave the configuration options if i were you.

What network card do you have? or if its onboard what motherboard?

when you say your connection is dropping, do you mean your adsl connection or your connection to the router/modem? If its the adsl connection, which is much more likely then updating the driver won't do much good.

Thanks
    sorry my bad

it is onboard

its an Nvidia nforce 4 board , I have 2 pcs that need updating a DFL Lan party ultra D board and a Asus Board

when I mean the connection drops I meant my connection to the in game server drops
    my connection to the net is rock solid and my router always stays online

The problem is my pcs will take turn to pc laggy and lose connection, I can only assume its the drivers

Just need to work out where to find them and which to install

Thanks
    for the dfi i'd go for the http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/Marvell_LAN_729.zip obtained from... http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downloa...FLAG=A&SITE=US

I don't know which asus board it is, but if you go to their website at http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us then you can search for your board and all relevent updates

instructions should be included in the downlaods

Thanks
    ah thx m8 so much

Thanks
    ok just found out Im not actually using that port in fact I use the other lan connection

so my Marvel Yukon port is actually disbaled.

Do you know I upgrade the other driver? Nvidia nforce 4 controller?

Thanks
    have you tried this one.... (I'm assuming xp 32bit or 2k )

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

it contains...
    * Audio Driver (v4.65) "WHQL"
    * Audio Utility (v4.51)
    * Ethernet Driver (v50.25) "WHQL"
    * Network Management Tools (v50.19)
    * SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL"
    * Installer (v4.89)
    * WinXP IDE SataRAID Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    * WinXP IDE SataIDE Driver (v6.66) "WHQL"
    * WinXP RAIDTOOL Application (v6.63)

Thanks
    I think I did but will try again.

do I need to uninstall the existing driver first?
    Im alittle wary as if I do this and I cant get it back, will I lose my internet connection?

I've been a bit more specific and typed the problem out long hand below in case that gives you more of an idea

I have a D-Link router DSL - G624M and we both have our own accounts of the game, we can surf all day and my connection is solid which also connects at 8.1mbs.

I recently moved house and switched to a new ISP and since have been plagued by some horrible in-game disconnects.

the bizzare problem is that it will only affect 1 of the 2 pc's never both at the same time what tends to happen is it will begin to lag, then the game freeze and will either catch up after 30 seconds or boot one of us out, either way it is unplayable but the internet connection still remains.

I have updated on both PC's the graphics drivers, defraged, virus checked, spyware checked etc and there are no problems that I can see.
    I havent updated the Sound Card driver but will if it makes a difference?

I have followed blizzards (the game makers) instructions on their website but theres nothing I can do to stop this random disconection problem.

I've looked at my network configuration and so far I have on both pcs

Checksome Offload - enable
    Flow control - enable
    IEEE802 Support Disable
    Jumbo Fram Payload Size - 1500
    Low Power State Link speed - Enable
    Nework Address - not present
    Optimize for - Throuput
    Segmentation Offload - enable
    Speed Duplex settings - Force 100 Full Duplex
    VLAN id - 1
    VLAN Support - disable
    WakeonLan From Power off -Enable

The only settings I have changed here are recomandations from Blizzard in that I should Force 100 Full Duplex and Optimize for throuput.

The other settings I havent changed and to be honest I don't know what they do anyway, Im not sure if the problem lies here.

I'm trying to update my drivers for the network card to rule out that possibility but my pc is a Lan Party Ultra D and the other is an Asus SLI Delexue
    board.
    Im using the nforce nvidia networking controller (not the Marvel Yukon Ethernet Controller) on both pcs and looking at the driver its dated 4.6.6.0 from the 24/11/2004 (it is an onboard motherboard network port, part of the chipset). Perhaps that really should be updated?
    I've been to Nvidia's site and thought I was downloading an updated driver, installed it but it didn't change anything so I assume it wasn't that one.

So I'm really not sure what to do or where to go next, totally bafflled I know this problem is just isolated to me as when I do play online in Raids etc there are 40 people in the Raid group, all of who don't get disconnected at all.
    whats stranger is it can occur slightly then go away then come back when you least expect it.

Thanks
    have you tried pinging and tracerouting the server, you might see spikes that are causing disconnects - these would be noticable in game, but not surfing? I suspect that the new isp isn't as good as your old one, which isp is it?

How long have you had the connectioin? if you have max adsl, could it be possible the line is still traininng - I don't know what affect this would have

Thanks
    I will try that but surely if I got a lag spike both pcs would lose it not just one.

the strange thing is 1 pc will be fine, 1 will lag, both are on the same connection.

Im on freedom to surf at the moment max dsl 8 mbs and before I was on virgin.net 1mbs.

Connection has been up for a good 2-3 months now and so is well past training.
    In the past I did have some actually discnnects from the router while it was training but its past that now.

I've been advised to possiblly try the LAN 2 port ( the mavel Yukon controller one)
    but I tried to putting the cable in that socket, and I can get the connection to the Lan message but no internet activity,
    I cant also connect to my router when the socket is in this port? how do I do that,

could be worth a try using that port instead of the normal nvidia one

Thanks
    i have no idea whats special about the mavel yukon port, so i can't really say how to get that working, i would have thought it was just a standard port though. is there a firewall blocking things from it?

It would make sense to try that port instead of the other one

Thanks
    no firewall, I have checked windows and that is off, my bitdefender is allowed and it will go through the router firewall as well.

Even configured a rule to let it go through on the router too

Surely if it was firewalled it wouldnt connect at all ?

I need to try the Marvel Port but when I plug my cable in I cant get it to see the router or connect to the net, as soon as I go back into the other port it works first time?

Thanks
    do you use dhcp?
    if you have defined static ips on your router, have you remembered to define an ip for that port?

Thanks
    I think it is DHCP yes

I havent defined a static ip so im totatly at a loss how to get this port to pick up my LAN 2 connection

Thanks
    is it being assigned an ip?

Thanks
    thats a good question, one I dont know how to answer
    in case you havent guess Im a noob

thanx for taking the time out to help btw

How do I check its getting an ip

I did an ipconfig with the connection to both ports and they came back with the same reading

ip 192.168.1.3
    192.168.1.1 def gateway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information