I have a part of my network that needs a second switch adding to it.

I have currently a Cisco 2950-24 Switch (1) in place and need a add a second (2)

Switch 1 has the server connected via patch panel to port one on the switch. This server is then connect via a second NIC to the router to share the internet (only 512k ADSL)

Now I can simply connect a cable and "uplink" switch 1 to switch 2 is it true that this will only be a half duplex connection or will the switches be able to connect at full duplex?

as technically any user on Switch 1 can only communicated via 1 port to any system on switch 2 will this cause serious problems? To be honest the systems never really need to talk to each other about anything as this network is setup so that the users can have a hot desk with roaming profiles (they can sit at any desk and work)

now is it best to use a small unmanaged switch in each room and consolidate the cables so that the server room only has the need for the 1 cisco? (in theory cutting down the number of cables going to the server room)

Is there a better way of doing this apart from buying 2 new switches with 1gb ports or fiber and stacking them?

**EDIT**

If i do get a second switch for the rack it is likely to be an unmanaged HP switch.