Thread: Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 120mm - too slow for use as a fan for a Thermalright Ultra Ext

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 120mm - too slow for use as a fan for a Thermalright Ultra Ext

Hi all. I am buying a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink to fix my CPU temps. I'm just waiting for them to come in stock.

Anyway, I've been using two Sharkoon 1000s as case fans, and I bought a pair of Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 120mm fans to see if they help my temps at all. They didn't, and they are slightly noisier than the Sharkoons. So I was thinking of RMA'ing them. But now I'm wondering if I should just keep them anyway? Would one of them work as a fan for the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120? Or are they too slow? Its a 1200RPM fan, so is that too slow for a heatsink?

I think if I had to buy another fan for the heatsink, then I wouldn't really have any use for these Noctuas because I'm going to put the Sharkoons back in. But if it would work ok as a heatsink fan, I mayaswell just keep them both, and use one on the heatsink, and keep the other one as a spare.

What do you think?

p.s. If its too slow, I will buy this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=499624

because someone on here said it works well with the Thermalright.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would have said that it all depends on how much heat needs to be dissipated. If you have a cpu with high voltage running through it and a low speed fan, you are going to have higher temps. For normal/general everyday use, the noctua fan should be ok, but you are better off with something cheaper. You can get 8x yate loons for the price of a noctua.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Its just that I already have two of the Noctuas I think I am going to just return them today. I already have an RMA number so I'll just do that. Then I'll be back to silence with my Sharkoons.

Then I just need to pick one good 120mm fan for the Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme. And I'll have over the weekend to figure out which is best.

Thanks Clunk =)

Thanks
    Something that has a bit of welly when needed, but that undervolts nicely as well. A fan controller is handy as well.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Someone suggested this:

I am hoping to use the BIOS's control method though. It seems to work well at the moment. It runs it at low/mid speed unless it gets hot, and then it cranks it up. I am not sure if I can still use that with the fan controller, but I figure if the fan is good enough, I'll have both the BIOS and controller to choose from so I should be able to get what I want.

Thanks
    I was thinking of something like a Sunbeam rheobus, pretty cheap, but work well.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post
    Someone suggested this:

I am hoping to use the BIOS's control method though. It seems to work well at the moment. It runs it at low/mid speed unless it gets hot, and then it cranks it up. I am not sure if I can still use that with the fan controller, but I figure if the fan is good enough, I'll have both the BIOS and controller to choose from so I should be able to get what I want.
    I have a FN version of the fan - it runs at 1200 and isn't quiet IMO.

Also the fan I have has a molex connector with a 3pin for rpm monitoring only - have you checked the connectors for the fan?

With regards the Noctua fans - a number of people on SPCR have had issues and got replacements directly from Noctua - very quick service. Main reason I won't try the Noctua is because of the noise problems.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    I was thinking of something like a Sunbeam rheobus, pretty cheap, but work well.
    Cool, I've never heard of that. Will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by amjedm View Post
    I have a FN version of the fan - it runs at 1200 and isn't quiet IMO.

Also the fan I have has a molex connector with a 3pin for rpm monitoring only - have you checked the connectors for the fan?

With regards the Noctua fans - a number of people on SPCR have had issues and got replacements directly from Noctua - very quick service. Main reason I won't try the Noctua is because of the noise problems.
    Ahhh thank you! I will have to look for alternatives. I've got my Noctuas out now, so I'm going to go and post them back to Scan in a bit.

Anandtechs review of the Thermaltake said they used an "S-Flex" and it was very good and quiet. So I'll have to find out which one they used. And then theres the Rehobus Clunk mentioned. Other than those, I don't really know what to get. I just know I want it to be quiet as possible, but have enough air to make good use of the good heatsink.

My AC7 Pro is nice and quiet, so I'm hoping to match that. Infact, I could maybe just use the fan off the that? I'm only replacing it because I am convinced the heatsink, or the connection to the motherboard, is crap and causing me temperature problems. The Thermaltake bolts on, and is such a good heatsink, it will either fix my temps, or I will know for sure that its a CPU problem.

Registered+
    Thanks
    lol yeah
    Last edited by Happyman88; 06-06-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information